TRX-1: Latest News/Info on Hard Leather Cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I know this was beat to death months ago and I am on the scannermaster mailing list for the leather case when they are back in stock but it's been a very long time.

Any news of the whereabouts of a hard leather case for the TRX-1? I understand cases for the WS-1080 fit as well. Somebody other than SM has to be making good leather cases for these scanners. Has anybody heard anything or have a good link for such a case?

Any new info greatly appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

trp2525

I know this was beat to death months ago and I am on the scannermaster mailing list for the leather case when they are back in stock but it's been a very long time.

Any news of the whereabouts of a hard leather case for the TRX-1? I understand cases for the WS-1080 fit as well. Somebody other than SM has to be making good leather cases for these scanners. Has anybody heard anything or have a good link for such a case?

Any new info greatly appreciated!

JD
kf4anc

I'll share my personal experiences with you as the information may be useful to you. Back in March 2015 I did an extensive search for a case for my brand-new PRO-668 scanner (which shares the same exterior case dimensions and right-side connector port as the PRO-18, PSR-800, WS1080, WS1088 and the TRX-1). The only 2 options I could find at that time were the $19.95 Scanner Master Soft Leather Case (PSR800/PRO18/WS1080 - GRE Soft Leather Case | Scanner Master) and the $12.95 Scanner Master Nylon Case (PSR800/PRO18/WS1080 - GRE Nylon Case/Cut Out Back | Scanner Master).

I actually preferred the soft leather case but it was out-of-stock in March 2015. I waited 3 months until June 2015 and it was still not back-in-stock so I contacted Scanner Master by telephone. I was told at that time that they would NOT be getting any more of the soft leather cases from the case manufacturer. Why Scanner Master has kept the soft leather case on their website for 3+ years while it has remained out-of-stock for that entire period is unknown.

When told that the soft leather case would no longer be available I ordered the nylon case and have been VERY satisfied with it. It fits well and protects my scanner from cosmetic blemishes but certainly not to the extent that a leather case would. For $12.95 (plus shipping) it was a very reasonable cost IMHO.

Back in 2015 I found the same 2 cases that Scanner Master sold listed on the Universal Radio website under Whistler WS1080 options/accessories (https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6080.html). I contacted them and was told that they had no actual physical stock of either case and that they obtained the 2 cases in question from Scanner Master. Thus if Scanner Master did not have the leather case, neither did Universal Radio.

Since June 2015 when I did my original research, Whistler has come out with their $29.95 "case" (https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088) which fits all 6 of the scanners I mentioned above. It's actually more of a "boot" than a case but I'm sure it provides drop protection. The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't provide any direct protection to the screen/keyboard/keypad.

As a suggestion you might want to contact the CASE GUYS (Trademark) who, from what I have read here on RR, manufactures some of the scanner cases for Scanner Master. They have an extensive catalog of cases and might be able to help you out: Case Guys™ - AW Enterprises

One last thought is you might consider taking a look at or trying the currently in-stock $29.95 Scanner Master Soft Leather Case for the PSR-700/PRO-107 (RadioShack Soft Leather Case/Swivel Belt Loop (PRO107) | Scanner Master). I'm not positive but I believe the dimensions of the PSR-700/PRO-107 may be very similar (if not identical) to the 6 scanners mentioned above. If that is in fact true, the case would fit your TRX-1 scanner but the case cutout for the right-side connector port may or may not line up correctly. YMMV

Last edited:

TAbirdman

I'll share my personal experiences with you as the information may be useful to you. Back in March 2015 I did an extensive search for a case for my brand-new PRO-668 scanner (which shares the same exterior case dimensions and right-side connector port as the PRO-18, PSR-800, WS1080, WS1088 and the TRX-1). The only 2 options I could find at that time were the $19.95 Scanner Master Soft Leather Case (PSR800/PRO18/WS1080 - GRE Soft Leather Case | Scanner Master) and the $12.95 Scanner Master Nylon Case (PSR800/PRO18/WS1080 - GRE Nylon Case/Cut Out Back | Scanner Master).

I actually preferred the soft leather case but it was out-of-stock in March 2015. I waited 3 months until June 2015 and it was still not back-in-stock so I contacted Scanner Master by telephone. I was told at that time that they would NOT be getting any more of the soft leather cases from the case manufacturer. Why Scanner Master has kept the soft leather case on their website for 3+ years while it has remained out-of-stock for that entire period is unknown.

When told that the soft leather case would no longer be available I ordered the nylon case and have been VERY satisfied with it. It fits well and protects my scanner from cosmetic blemishes but certainly not to the extent that a leather case would. For $12.95 (plus shipping) it was a very reasonable cost IMHO.

Back in 2015 I found the same 2 cases that Scanner Master sold listed on the Universal Radio website under Whistler WS1080 options/accessories (https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6080.html). I contacted them and was told that they had no actual physical stock of either case and that they obtained the 2 cases in question from Scanner Master. Thus if Scanner Master did not have the leather case, neither did Universal Radio.

Since June 2015 when I did my original research, Whistler has come out with their $29.95 "case" (https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088) which fits all 6 of the scanners I mentioned above. It's actually more of a "boot" than a case but I'm sure it provides drop protection. The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't provide any direct protection to the screen/keyboard/keypad.

As a suggestion you might want to contact the CASE GUYS (Trademark) who, from what I have read here on RR, manufactures some of the scanner cases for Scanner Master. They have an extensive catalog of cases and might be able to help you out: Case Guys™ - AW Enterprises

One last thought is you might consider taking a look at or trying the currently in-stock $29.95 Scanner Master Soft Leather Case for the PSR-700/PRO-107 (RadioShack Soft Leather Case/Swivel Belt Loop (PRO107) | Scanner Master). I'm not positive but I believe the dimensions of the PSR-700/PRO-107 may be very similar (if not identical) to the 6 scanners mentioned above. If that is in fact true, the case would fit your TRX-1 scanner but the case cutout for the right-side connector port may or may not line up correctly. YMMV
The 700 looks to be the same as the pro18, thus the same as the 108x/trx1 unit. Not sure how well it will work with the units keypad totally covered up however.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

trp2525

As an addendum to my post #2 above, here are the exact scanner dimensions for the 8 handheld scanner models mentioned above. This information may be useful if you want to use/purchase a case that wasn't specifically made/marketed for your scanner.

PRO-18, PRO-668, PSR-800, WS1080, WS1088 and TRX-1: Dimensions (HWD) 5.31 X 2.12 X 1.06 inch (135 X 67 X 28 mm)

PRO-107 and PSR-700: Dimensions (HWD) 4 15/16 x 2 5/16 x 1 inch (127 x 60 x 27 mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.