What does an encrypted signal sound like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I have a new TRX-1 and I'm listening to Fluvanna Co Virginia. And when there's a transmission on the Sheriff's Dispatch talk group, I do get a few words here and there and then I also get a busy signal like on a telephone. The "E" on my scanner doesn't show up. They just upgraded the county's system to P25 Phase II, do I have to do anything special on my scanner to tell it, it's P-II? All other talk groups are fine. Is this possibly encrypted? I've heard other encrypted signals on other systems and they sound garbled, unintelligible, and the "E" does show on my scanner, but not on this site.

troymail

Silent Key
I have a new TRX-1 and I'm listening to Fluvanna Co Virginia. And when there's a transmission on the Sheriff's Dispatch talk group, I do get a few words here and there and then I also get a busy signal like on a telephone. The "E" on my scanner doesn't show up. They just upgraded the county's system to P25 Phase II, do I have to do anything special on my scanner to tell it, it's P-II? All other talk groups are fine. Is this possibly encrypted? I've heard other encrypted signals on other systems and they sound garbled, unintelligible, and the "E" does show on my scanner, but not on this site.

The busy signal and the E typically mean encryption. However, in some cases, during poor reception/decoding, you may occasionally see/hear those indicators too.

When receiving unencrypted P25 Phase 1 voice, the display should show "DG". If it is Phase 2, the display will show "D2". If that transmission is encrypted, the "E" will appear.

I believe Phase 2 encryption isn't detected as such on the TRX and will just sound like digital noise.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I don't get anything on the scanner that shows encryption. The signal strength is excellent It is supposed to be P2. Do I have to do anything special on the scanner to tell it that it is a P2 signal, or should it auto detect it?

calebshifflett

Premium Subscriber
I can attest that Fluvanna County SO is fully encrypted. When they went live with the system last August it has been fully encrypted since. All other channels are open on the system

Status
Not open for further replies.