WS1040: Volume Problem, Fuzz, Staticy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhapidFyre

Hello everyone! Please take a minute to try to listen to a little audio on my feed to get an idea of what I'm talking about: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/26936 - I recently upgraded from a PRO-163 (analog) to the WS1040 (digital/P25) for Oroville. My previous scanner had a slight background fuzz, but nothing nearly as noticeable as this new feed set up.

SETUP #1 (What I'm using now):
WS1040 -> Splitter -> 1) 3.5mm to Raspberry Pi 3's USB Sound Card Device -> Darksnow
--------------------------> 2) Little external speakers
RESULT: Slight fuzz, mostly clear and crisp audio, soft-speaking dispatchers are hard to hear.

SETUP #2 (Preferred):
WS1040 -> 3.5mm direct to Raspberry Pi 3's USB Sound Card -> Darksnow
RESULT: Heavy fuzz, audio is so quiet it sounds like they're whispering. Unreadable.

I'm not sure what's causing the fuzz, or the audio, but my mind can't wrap around why it's so fuzzy and quiet when I plug it in direct, but when I plug in a splitter and send it to the feed AND external speakers, it's nice, loud, and clear.

I should note, that when I only plug it in to the external speakers, it's too quiet to hear but there's no fuzz. Pluggin in the feed 3.5mm restores the volume and makes it able to be heard again.

Can anyone recommend a cable and sound card that might work better, or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

P.S: The PRO-163 worked perfectly with this exact same setup, plugging and unplugging the external speakers had no affect on the feed/sound quality. The only problem is it's an analog scanner and OPD uses P25.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I've found that if you plug a stereo cable in to a PRO-106 (same radio as a WS-1040) it does not like that... try a stereo to mono (stereo female to mono male) converter, or a mono cable.

lou9155

i believe audio output from any handheld from the headphone jack is much lower than a base mobile from the speaker out jack

Status
Not open for further replies.