WS1095: EZScan software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all ~ Has anyone had their EZScan program icon disappear from their desktop...?

I've seen this before and now this morning when I powered up I noticed it's gone again. How or why does this happen when I've done nothing with the program at all? I haven't opened/used it in at least a week. I know there have been some other issues with their software recently so I'm a little concerned now.

Are there any other/new problems I should be aware of? Thank you.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this could be your problem, but there is a windows setting (I can't remember where) having to do with desktop cleanup. I think it can be set to remove unused desktop icons as one of the features.

I may be wrong, and if so I'll find out in a hurry, but it might be a place for you to start looking.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I've reinstalled the software and it shows that I was at PC version 532. When I attempted to install the latest 590 it stopped working and then froze. Upon a restart the desktop icon was gone again.

I believe users here have said to disable my norton and do a reinstall as that had something to do with earlier issues. Would that still be the case ...?

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
Windows defender may have removed it, it always tags it as false positive malware. Make a exception for all whistler related files.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you VA3... I don't see an exclusion option in my defender settings so I'm guessing that's because I have norton...?

That being said, I must be missing something somewhere because I find no option for this in norton either...

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Desktop Icon

Most desktop ICONs are not programs but shortcuts.
So if it disappears you do not need to reinstall the program.
Go to your computers MENU and look for the program.
There should be a subdivision of it that actually opens the program.
Or you can click on that subdivision and create a new shortcut then drag it to your desktop.
You antivirus program is probably causing the problem.

Hello all ~ Has anyone had their EZScan program icon disappear from their desktop...?

I've seen this before and now this morning when I powered up I noticed it's gone again. How or why does this happen when I've done nothing with the program at all? I haven't opened/used it in at least a week. I know there have been some other issues with their software recently so I'm a little concerned now.

Are there any other/new problems I should be aware of? Thank you.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you JANFINE... indeed, shortcut, couldn't think of the exact word ;)

The program is still there and I have "reinstalled" it several times but when I attempt to do the latest PC version it freezes and won't update, then the shortcut disappears and I have to extract the file again. I suppose my last option is to disable all virus/firewall protections and hope for the best.

I'm now a little confused and concerned about why I can't seem to locate the exclusion/exception options in norton and defender though... could that be an indication that something happened with regards to malware/virus?

wbswetnam

Numerous antivirus products give a false positive to Whistler EZScan... I have Avast Antivirus, and Avast also wants to name the .exe file for EZScan as a 'generic worm'.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Numerous antivirus products give a false positive to Whistler EZScan... I have Avast Antivirus, and Avast also wants to name the .exe file for EZScan as a 'generic worm'.

Yep, EZScan has always had issues in Symantec's Endpoint Protection as well.
I can exclude it from detection but each time a new version of EZScan comes out, it is detected again.
To keep the program on the computer, I usually need to exclude EZScan's install folder. Just to download and install or upgrade it, I usually must disable Endpoint Protection until I can reset the exception after it is done upgrading. Kind of a pain but it has triggered these alerts for a long time now.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
Now i just always make a folder for anything whistler related and exclude it from all virus scanners, a pain but with such a high false positive rate on these programs no other option.

Ubbe

I don't know what Window version you have but it should be possible to either directly or first change to "old" interface and right click on the program in Start/All programs/Whistler and select to make a new shortcut. No need to reinstall the program.

/Ubbe

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Ubbe. I'm using windows 10.

Like I said earlier, I'm not seeing an option where one is supposed to see the option for excluding/exception files with either the windows defender or norton. I get the feeling that might have something to do with all of this. However, I did a disable with norton and everything appeared to update properly and there were no other associated issues as previously occurred.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Well, after finally finding the norton exclusion configuration options, I reinstalled the software with norton disabled and added all of the whistler folders I could find. I can only assume I did this correctly as I'm not really that great with this kind of thing. The file was flagged by norton again with a "trojan.gen2" warning and automatically "erased" the program.

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue at all or something similar? This is the first time I've had any problems with ezscan and it started after one of the updates a couple of months ago. I reverted back to an earlier version and everything was fine until the other day. Apparently I'll have to use non-updated versions if I want to use this program.

BrianG61UK

You could also look for some AV software from a company that actually bothers to fix false positives instead of this Norton ****.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have been involved with computer maintenance and repair for 40 years, and Norton has caused more problems that any other program. Onre user even had his internet blocked when Norton saw it as a threat.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys. Very true. I'm beginning to think the same thing. Doesn't do me much good if I have to disable my protection in order to download something... ;)

rwier

I have been involved with computer maintenance and repair for 40 years, and Norton has caused more problems that any other program. Onre user even had his internet blocked when Norton saw it as a threat.

Several years ago, I removed ALL (not easy to do) parts of Norton from my computers. I'd rank that operation right up there with my total hip and total knee replacements as to relief.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Norton or Symantec are not the only that have troubles with various EZ-Scan versions in the past.

ClamAV, Ikarus. DrWEB to name some others that still detect it to this day.
I don't use any of the above but did run some of the EZScan updates or installers through some of the online virus multi-scanners like Jotti or VirusTotal just to see how many still picked up some of the versions I'd created exceptions for in Endpoint Protection as it was detected as Malware of some type when released.

I know when a new EZScan updater version is released, several virus scanner apps will often detect it as some kind of malware. Usually treated by many as bad enough to warrant instant delete or quarantine in the least.

If another new version is released that triggers your AV program, try creating an exception for it so you can upload it to Jotti and Virustotal and you may be surprised at how many scanners detect it as some type of malware. Most reputable AV companies will create new signature files to skip it pretty fast as it has always been an FP.
Knowing the file was clean, it was kind of fun running it through an online multi-scanner tool just to see how many do detect it.

I don't know how well these online multi-scanners work today as I don't use them much anymore but I'm hoping someone will have one that is better than the two I mentioned above.
I also used to use one at VirSCAN.org but when I used it this evening, I found that the detection signatures for many of the more popular AV apps were severely out of date. I think Norton or Symantec's signature file at that site was from late in 2015!
VirusTotal still seems to stay current on their signature versions for the AV apps they support. I noticed Jotti's scanner did not support many AV vendors like they did in the past from what I can recall.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online AV multi-scanner type page like Jotti or Virustotal? Something newer maybe that keeps their signature files updated? They are handy at times.

And yes, I have also found Norton to be a PITA. I use Symantec's enterprise version of Endpoint Protection today and it is definitely much better than the Norton consumer version but it can also be picky about things. I really can't compare the two though as they are different products.

I stopped using Norton's consumer version many years ago when they really dumbed down the user interface.

Several years ago, I removed ALL (not easy to do) parts of Norton from my computers. I'd rank that operation right up there with my total hip and total knee replacements as to relief.

How very true!

Status
Not open for further replies.