TRX-1 - All Talkgroups on a System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
I am somewhat embarrassed to even ask this, as I am betting it is very simple, however.... :)

With the TRX-1, if I want to literally hear all talkgroups on a new Phase II system (likely does not have a lot of talkgroups just yet), how do I program to have the radio search out or stop on all heard talkgroups, not just those listed in the RadioReference database?

Thanks!

Ed6698

Thanks!

How about when programming a system directly from the radio, or is it only possible via EZScan?

I have never done it from the radio itself. I took a quick look and it looks if you go to Program Menu,Edit System, Add Talkgroup, you can add a Wildcard via the radio itself. I have never done it that way, but it looks like it can be done.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Very good. Thank you!
I would add that if your system of interest has at least some identified talkgroups noted in the database, include those so that the text tags will show up.

If you do have identified talkgroups included, then set the wildcard so that it will flash the LED to get your attention that something 'unknown' is being received. I use white, but pick whatever color works best for you. You can also set the wildcard so that the unidentified transmissions are recorded. That makes it easier to group the unknowns by TGID, then use the playback tab on EZ-Scan to select and play a group of recordings from one talkgroup. Individually, audio files of, say, 4 or 5 seconds each may not really be useful. But you can select multiples and let them play sequentially, which at times results in a 'conversation' that can be recognized as to it's usage.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Also of note, wildcard, at least when I use it, will NOT pick up programmed talkgroups, just ones you have not programmed yet. If you want to pick up all traffic, just give the system as programmed with programmed talkgroups, and the new wildcard, the same scanlist number.

Paul

Ubbe

Also of note, wildcard, at least when I use it, will NOT pick up programmed talkgroups

That doesn't sound right. Only if those programmed TGs are skipped/lockout should they not be monitored.
I haven't noticed anything like that on my TRX-2 but the firmware are different to the TRX-1.

But it would be a neat feature, to easily select a global function to not include programmed TGs in scan and search.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

And keep in mind that putting some talkgroup objects in a different scanlist and then disabling that scanlist is more or less also a form of talkgroup/object lockout....

No? Just not having that scanlist enabled doesn't make the TGs in that omitted scanlist to be skipped. The wildcards will still produce all TGs without excluding any of the TGs from another scanlist. That would be one crazy scanner.

/Ubbe

troymail

Silent Key
No? Just not having that scanlist enabled doesn't make the TGs in that omitted scanlist to be skipped. The wildcards will still produce all TGs without excluding any of the TGs from another scanlist. That would be one crazy scanner.

/Ubbe

Allow me to be more specific - and you can try this test on your own --

• Import a system and all of it's talkgroups
  • Assign all of those known talkgroups to Scanlist 1
  • Create a WILDCARD talkgroup object attached to that same system and assign it (alone) to Scanlist 2

In this scenario, if you scan both Scanlist 1 and Scanlist 2, the radio will stop on all talkgroups including (potentially) unknown/undocumented "wildcard" talkgroups (FWIW: for this test, you can force wildcard activity by deleting a busy known talkgroup).

If you disable Scanlist 1 (leaving Scanlist 2 enabled), the radio will only stop on wildcard (unknown, undocumented) talkgroups.

As you can see, in the above programming/scenario, if you disable Scanlist 1, you've effectively locked out all known talkgroups.

NOW - for something completely different, if you create the same system TWICE - one with all known talkgroups assigned to Scanlist 1 and the other with only a wildcard assigned to Scanlist 2, that would be a completely different scenario with a completely different result... disabling Scanlist 1 would have no affect on the wildcard in Scanlist 2. Scanlist 1 would only stop on known talkgroups and display their alpha tags. Scanlist 2 would stop on those same talkgroups and any previously unknown, undocumented talkgroups but none would have any labels/alpha tags.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that's what I meant troy...not quite how Uniden SEARCH works. :)

Paul

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

/Ubbe

Can't speak for the TRX-1, but this is most certainly the behavior in the 1st generation of Object-Oriented scanners when scanning with a wildcard. The point of the wildcard when scanning is to explicitly follow talkgroups that you do not have programmed.

If you manually select a wildcard, then the scanner does monitor everything regardless of what is programmed.

troymail

Silent Key
Yeah, that's what I meant troy...not quite how Uniden SEARCH works. :)

Paul

Yup - Uniden handles it differently.

For Whistler, a talkgroup (object) can be assigned to any combination of scanlists within a given V-Scanner folder.

On a Uniden, if you want a talkgroup in more than one list ("quick key"), you have to make a copy of that system and the talkgroup once for each "list" you want to include it in - and in this case the roughly equivilent "ID Search" function is specific to each "list".

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Can't speak for the TRX-1, but this is most certainly the behavior in the 1st generation of Object-Oriented scanners when scanning with a wildcard. The point of the wildcard when scanning is to explicitly follow talkgroups that you do not have programmed.

If you manually select a wildcard, then the scanner does monitor everything regardless of what is programmed.

... it depends on how it is programmed (see above).

Status
Not open for further replies.