WS1040: new scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kincaidmanor

hi just got the whistler ws1040 and having problems uploading to radio I downloaded the driver upload and it keeps saying usb not connected and now scanner is stuck on the cpu sw upgrade screen. then keeps saying error turn off thanks for any info or where to go for help

Sgtblueline

Good morning, I'm new to the new digital scanners (P25 etc.) as well. However I do have a TRX-2. are you attempting to upload while the radio is on? if so, it needs to be turned off prior to connection via USB. Also, I don't know if you had, however a couple helpful hints that i have done. 1) create a new file on your computer and copy your SD card to it prior to modifying it. this will enable you to have a fresh back up in case something happens to the card. 2) also when updating the card. take the card out of the radio and upload directly to the card through your computer (instead of using USB) the files will upload faster.

Davey1

The WS1040 is quite different than the TRX-1 or TRX-2. The scanner MUST be ON to program it from the computer, and there is NO SD card in a WS1040. People here may be able to help more if we know what type of software you are using.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
i tryed all the ports and wont find it and installed drivers I have prsedit500

Com ports are NOT usb ports. A usb port can be assigned a specific com port number in device manager. Or via the software you're using that you have yet to mention what it is.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good morning, I'm new to the new digital scanners (P25 etc.) as well. However I do have a TRX-2. are you attempting to upload while the radio is on? if so, it needs to be turned off prior to connection via USB. Also, I don't know if you had, however a couple helpful hints that i have done. 1) create a new file on your computer and copy your SD card to it prior to modifying it. this will enable you to have a fresh back up in case something happens to the card. 2) also when updating the card. take the card out of the radio and upload directly to the card through your computer (instead of using USB) the files will upload faster.

As mentioned, the WS1040 is much different than your TRX-2, it needs to be ON for computer programming.

Also, the WS1040 does not use SD cards, it is an Object Oriented type scanner with built in memory.

budevans

Com ports are NOT usb ports. A usb port can be assigned a specific com port number in device manager. Or via the software you're using that you have yet to mention what it is.

Yes they are. In my case it's Serial Port 3. See the following PICs below. One other note, the latest FTDI driver is dated 3/9/2016 version 2.12.16.0.

Attachments

• SerialPort.jpg
    SerialPort.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 159
  • SerialPortCOM3.jpg
    SerialPortCOM3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 149
Status
Not open for further replies.