RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 5:15 PM

Default Whistler to launch new LSM Scanners

Its been almost four months now with no updates on when the new scanners will be launched.

Wonder if Whistler Wendy can give us some insight on the progress of the new radios since we have been waiting since the last update in May.

Hopefully they will make the shelves by Christmas
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2018, 5:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Supposed to be a 4Q release. That goes right up to New Year's. I imagine they'd like to take advantage of the Christmas market but as I stated elsewhere I'd prefer a late release to a half-baked one.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:17 PM

Heck yeah. I agree. We do not want a half baked pie. Hopefully some news comes soon with some pictures. This is what get the forums rolling again. Pictures and Specs
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Location: Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious Arm, SOL system, Earth, California, Bay Area.

Spoooky Things going on at Whistler, a few weeks ago they discounted their mainline scanners , TRX and 10xx series. and they had a clearance sale of refurbished and scratch/dent models . Most recently Whistler has removed all pricing on the website and directing customers to AMAZON and other Retailers.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardsuit View Post
Spoooky Things going on at Whistler, a few weeks ago they discounted their mainline scanners , TRX and 10xx series. and they had a clearance sale of refurbished and scratch/dent models . Most recently Whistler has removed all pricing on the website and directing customers to AMAZON and other Retailers.
I must have missed the announcement on the TRX-series being discontinued. Can you prove a link to that?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I must have missed the announcement on the TRX-series being discontinued. Can you prove a link to that?
Discounted, not discontinued.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgav View Post
Discounted, not discontinued.
Doh! I apologize.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
Its been almost four months now with no updates on when the new scanners will be launched.

Wonder if Whistler Wendy can give us some insight on the progress of the new radios since we have been waiting since the last update in May.

Hopefully they will make the shelves by Christmas
It makes you wonder, 4 months and nothing new. Where's the scanner paparazzi when you need them?
Old 09-12-2018, 1:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It was clearly stated Q4, could be anything from two weeks to three months now. According to my calendar we still in Q3
Hopefully it will be fully tested on release not like SDS100 half backed solution rushed to the market. There must be few members of this forum quietly testing new models as we speculating on the actual release date. Of course all confidential without disclosure before release.
It was some months and months since AOR and iCom announced and actually released their new handhelds.
Patience gentleman, patience. Keep cool

Last edited by questnz; 09-12-2018 at 1:39 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 6:45 AM

I think that a top of the line scanner isn't really a suitable christmas present and release dates are almost always not met due to unforseen obstacles in production.

I believe Whistler doesn't use private beta testers and all is done by Whistler employees. I still can't understand how they could release their most expensive scanner without it having a feature where you could key in a frequency and listen. It was added after 6 months and after complaints from "normal" users. It's like they think that it's a scanner and you should only scan, and that's probably also why they only have a very basic and one single range search setting. This is nothing that "normal" beta testers would have accepted.

/Ubbe
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
I think that a top of the line scanner isn't really a suitable christmas present and release dates are almost always not met due to unforseen obstacles in production.

I believe Whistler doesn't use private beta testers and all is done by Whistler employees. I still can't understand how they could release their most expensive scanner without it having a feature where you could key in a frequency and listen. It was added after 6 months and after complaints from "normal" users. It's like they think that it's a scanner and you should only scan, and that's probably also why they only have a very basic and one single range search setting. This is nothing that "normal" beta testers would have accepted.

/Ubbe
Having only one search range is unacceptable. It's a real pain to have to reset all the parameters just to search another band.

“Over the past 12 months, Whistler has listened to our customers and has worked to bring them what they have requested most,”

This has been requested many times over the past 48 months .
Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

According to LinkedIn Whistler Group has 20 employees. Whats odd is not one employee with any RF skills or radio/scanner background.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt630 View Post
According to LinkedIn Whistler Group has 20 employees.
No, according to LinkedIn, there are 20 Whistler Group employees that have LinkedIn accounts. That's very different. If you click on "See more" it states that the company has between 51 and 200 employees.
Old 09-12-2018, 2:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

thanks this is nice news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-12-2018, 7:54 PM

It's common for companies like Whistler and Uniden to hire outside resources from other specialized companies when it comes to radio design and software development. If you only release one scanner with 2-3 years interval it's doesn't compute to have a high cost inhouse RF or software genius work a couple of months and then have nothing for him to do for the rest of the 18 months.

Doesn't Whistler use that Don Starr, or whatever his name is, to develop their scanners and he is not on their payroll list and has his own business where he works from and sell his services to whoever needs his expertise?

/Ubbe
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wonder how and who will do beta testing?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:

/Ubbe
Whistler inherited GRE Engineering designs...
Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt630 View Post
According to LinkedIn Whistler Group has 20 employees. Whats odd is not one employee with any RF skills or radio/scanner background.
What are Odds they contract out engineers...
Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
It's common for companies like Whistler and Uniden to hire outside resources from other specialized companies when it comes to radio design and software development. If you only release one scanner with 2-3 years interval it's doesn't compute to have a high cost inhouse RF or software genius work a couple of months and then have nothing for him to do for the rest of the 18 months.

Doesn't Whistler use that Don Starr, or whatever his name is, to develop their scanners and he is not on their payroll list and has his own business where he works from and sell his services to whoever needs his expertise?

/Ubbe
Yes, he does the coding.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don Starr is indeed an independent contractor. From March, 2017:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
. . . I'm a contractor (have been since I started doing work for GRE 11 years ago - PSR-500) and not a Whistler employee. . . .