TRX-1: Multiple CDAT Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerHam

I have multiple files in the V-Scanner folder named CDAT Default, CDAT_VS.001, CDAT_VS.002, and CDAT_VS.003. When I do an update of all files (CPU Firmware, DSP Firmware, Library, and PC Application, the software asks which CDAT files to update and I select them all. I have not created any specific CDAT files, so do I need all these files or can I just use the default file and delete the others?

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Regarding multiple CDAT folders, there is a Help file in the TRX programming software with info regarding the use of multiple V-Scanner II (Virtual Scanner) folders. I have the same issue, with multiple CDAT folders as well. I'm going to go through mine and see if I can delete the ones I'm not using, as I have no need for more than one.

This is copied from the Help file regarding CDAT V-Scanner II folders.

================

What is V-Scanner II?

V-Scanner II (or Virtual Scanner) allows the TRX-2 Digital Trunking Scanner to store up to 200 alternate scanner configurations on the SD Card. These scanner configurations may be loaded into your scanner with just a few key presses.

How does V-Scanner II Work?

The TRX-2 Digital Trunking Scanner stores it's default configuration in the CDAT folder on the SD Card. This folder contains all of the scanner's operating options, conventional frequency, and trunked system information.

The V-Scanner II system builds on this method by creating additional folders to hold the configuration details of the scanner. When a V-Scanner folder is created, a new folder by the name CDAT_VS.### will be created where the ### will be a three digit representation of the V-Scanner folder number. The folders CDAT_VS.001 through CDAT_VS.200 are available for use to store these V-Scanner folders.

How do I select a V-Scanner folder to use?

In the scanner, press the Menu key to access the main menu. Scroll down to the "V-Scanner" option and press the SEL key. Using the left and right arrows, select the V-Scanner folder you would like to use and then press the SEL key. Each time the scanner is powered on, the last selected V-Scanner folder will be used.

In the PC Application, select the File Menu, and then the Open V-Scanner folder option. A listing of the available V-Scanner folders will be presented. Select the folder you wish to view and/or edit. If you would like to set this folder as the default folder loaded by the scanner at power up, check the Check Box in the lower left corner of the selection screen and then click on the Select Button.

Remember that any changes made using the PC Application will need to be copied to the SD Card in the scanner before your changes take effect.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
**Before you start deleting folders, make sure you have a backup of your current configuration.**

This is what I ended up doing to clean up my unused CDAT folders.

I opened the Whistler programming software, connected my scanner to the PC with it turned off until it recognized it as an 'external drive'.

I then individually selected my V-Scanner folders, and viewed the contents to find the folder that was the one with the current configuration I'm using. I then copied the contents (mine was all in CDAT_VS.002, yours may vary) to the Default folder, which in my case had early data that I wasn't currently using. I then checked CDAT_VS.003, which had nothing current in it either, but was an copy of an earlier configuration I was no longer interested in, so I deleted it. After copying the contents I was using to the main CDAT folder, I then copied those contents to an extra CDAT folder to save as a backup. If you travel with your scanner you can use the CDAT folders for different configurations. In my case, my TRX-2 stays in the shack so I just copied it into an extra CDAT folder for a backup.
I then clicked on the Scanner/SDCard tab, and selected Optimize Scanner Memory/SDCard. This takes awhile, as it optimizes it and sends it back to the SD Card in the scanner.
When you're done, select File, Open V Scanner Folder, and then select the folder you use for your current data, and check the box at the bottom to set the selected V Scanner Folder to be used at Startup. To finish, I again copied the configuration to the Scanner/SD Card one final time.

After that was finished, I deleted the CDAT folders I was no longer using.

Hope this helps.

Ubbe

Optimize only copies all files to the computer and deletes them on the SD card and then writes them back, as Whistler suggests it would help if the files are arranged without any "holes" between them. That only applies to old days mechanical harddrives that had a pickup arm that moved along the disc.

But Whistler scanners have problems with file corruption. There's always some file structure errors when checking. Doing "optimizing" will clear those corruptions but Whistler probably don't want to explain it in that negative way and instead suggest you regulary do "optimizing" of the file structure.

/Ubbe

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have been wondering the same thing about CDAT folders. I named them by date as I learned how to program the TRX-1, and I have at least 6-7 that are erroneous programming that didn't work when troymail was helping me, emailing me CDAT files that he wrote to give me an idea of how to go about it. So, my CDAT folders are cluttered and some of them obsolete. But a few are backup files that I can go to in the event of a card crash. So if I delete the contents and rename them (numerically) will it possibly corrupt the files or should I just label them accordingly and leave them as they are? Will be watching to see what some of you are doing with this - thanks for this thread

Edit: Ok, I didn't catch that reply here above me about the folder editing, etc. Sorry bout that...

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:

Swipesy

I also think, but not positive, that when you do Channel Updates that you have to open each CDAT and do an update. I do not think EZScan automatically updates all CDAT's at once. It also is a good Idea to periodically press the Compress button on the Talkgroup Tab of Trunked Radio Systems Tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.