Do you REALLY need / want a color display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Sure - they are nice, but if they take a toll on battery power, I wonder how many of us would be just as happy with the older style 1040 lcd display?

But we like big displays - if it doesn't take up too much power, nor cause any audio noise, would you go for a "dual" 1040 type display instead?

I know I would.

Perhaps save the colorized displays for the mobile radios, and leave the simpler power-sipping displays for handhelds.

CQ

It's Tired

Whistler needs to retire that old postage stamp display that's used on both handheld and mobile platforms. It's one of the problems they need to correct.

Any display with useful information is better...look at Uniden's SDS100 as an improvement to the already good BCD models. Being able to customize the display is a nice touch. Maybe a larger touch version on their mobile version will be in store for Christmas.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Sure - they are nice, but if they take a toll on battery power, I wonder how many of us would be just as happy with the older style 1040 lcd display?

But we like big displays - if it doesn't take up too much power, nor cause any audio noise, would you go for a "dual" 1040 type display instead?

I know I would.

Perhaps save the colorized displays for the mobile radios, and leave the simpler power-sipping displays for handhelds.

Color display settings don't take up any more power than black and white display settings.

DJ11DLN

For me it would be in the category of "nice to have but not a deal-breaker if not." I can read the displays on my GRE800/900 type of scanners quite easily, much better than the tiny fonts and cluttered 436 with its bigger display. Better than the GRE500 types too, though I'd love to see Whistler add the amber backlight to the current models as I prefer it to the white. I don't really use the multifunction LED on any of my scanners as I find it distracting so having a display light up different colors for different agencies or types wouldn't really appeal to me either. Different colors for different lines etc to help quickly assimilate the info being displayed...I kinda like that idea but again not a deal-breaker.

Ed6698

IMO the display is fine the way it is. The amount of information the display shows does not matter to me, I very rarely look at my display because I use my scanners to listen to, not watch the screen. Only thing I would really need to know looking at display is what I made the alpha tag to show.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Color Display?

I chose the Whistler WS1080 * back in 2014 because OF the screen vs the Unidens. The FONT is much easier to see for me compared to the slim, small letters of Uniden. And I never liked the 3 levels of data and things flashing on and off on Uniden's scanners. Color would be ok, but I just want 2 or 3 things. For the scanner to be LOUDER, scan faster and get P25 Simulcast systems in perfect.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Whistler just needs to keep it simple. The 325P2 is a good example of the color and text size that I think would be a nice.

The Multi-Color LED is annoying at times and could use some toning down with option to turn it off.
Whistler could also assign it to the current function being used. Exp.. Red for recording, Blue for Bluetooth, yellow for charging.

It would be cool to be able to assign a LED color to a specific mode. This would be helpful in limit search or Spectrum Sweeper.

nanZor

Interesting - maybe I phrased the question wrong. Perhaps it should be:

Would you be ok with a color screen that had half or less of the battery life of a simpler LCD screen, would you be ok with that?

My reference of course is the TRX-1 with 4 AA's. If it had a simple lcd screen, but more than twice the battery life .....

The 1040 is one example. A commercial variant would be something like the Motorola HT1550 XLS. I don't know how much power that screen pulls....

dem1

I strongly prioritize functionality over glitz, and if battery life is to be reduced I'd rather it be due to more robust RF performance, louder audio, etc., rather than a fancy display. But I think a color screen would impact production cost more than battery life.

On a related note, I had to disassemble my TRX-1 this morning due to a bug in the display. I have no idea how it crawled inside!

Attachments

• Bug-in-Scanner.jpg
    Bug-in-Scanner.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 382

seth21w

For me the biggest thing for whistler right now with there new trx100 should be a new case and new screen as they need to incorperate an lipo battery pack and drop in charger, and definetly need to get away from the 10 year old i Scan display.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
My Whistler TRX-100 wish list. (short).
#1 - A Bigger longer LCD (monochrome).
#2 - Tough Glass on the LCD.
#3 - continuous coverage 100 khz - 1300 MHz (cell blocked ).
#4 - Bluetooth Audio (confirmed). A2DP streaming Audio.
#5 - Built in GPS with gps location programming. (no PUCK needed).
#6 - White LED lighted keypad with Dimming.
#7 - (AM, NFM, WFM, SSB, CW) and (DMR I/II/III, NXDN, P25 I/II/III, dPMR, D-star, D-CR, TETRA, Alinco EJ-47, Yeasu FUSION)
#8 - Manual Tuning knob for Channel Selection.
#9 - FAST scanning rate 200 Ch/Sec or more.
#10 - Remote Control Software + Improvements to EZ Scan.

N8IAA

My Whistler TRX-100 wish list. (short).
#1 - A Bigger longer LCD (monochrome).
#2 - Tough Glass on the LCD.
#3 - continuous coverage 100 khz - 1300 MHz (cell blocked ).
#4 - Bluetooth Audio (confirmed). A2DP streaming Audio.
#5 - Built in GPS with gps location programming. (no PUCK needed).
#6 - White LED lighted keypad with Dimming.
#7 - (AM, NFM, WFM, SSB, CW) and (DMR I/II/III, NXDN, P25 I/II/III, dPMR, D-star, D-CR, TETRA, Alinco EJ-47, Yeasu FUSION)
#8 - Manual Tuning knob for Channel Selection.
#9 - FAST scanning rate 200 Ch/Sec or more.
#10 - Remote Control Software + Improvements to EZ Scan.

Well, you can always buy an Icom R30 for #'s 3, 5, 7, and 10.

You might get #1. But, I doubt #2 and #3. It is, after all, a hobby radio sold too those who only want to have a reliable trunk tracking scanner. Too many bells and whistles is only going to be for those who really want a radio that does all of that. I just guessing 1/10th of 1%.

What you are describing is a handheld Icom R8600. Are you willing to pay for all of that?? I know I sure won't.

Outrageous requests. Good Grief!

Oh, and to answer the original question: larger amber display to replace what is already on the current Whistler products.

Larry

Last edited:

scosgt

If the A2DP streaming will connect to the car radio, the display won't matter when mobile.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah it's nice to dream, isn't it? That wishlist is about perfect for a scanner. Be prepared to spend $1500 or better. I have always dreamed of the perfect bass guitar, but it has never surfaced on the market so I took the very best Fender Jazz and customized it myself. Dream come true. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. So start drawing up schematics and buy a real nice soldering gun and do it to it ;) lol

JD
kf4anc

Let me know! I'll buy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.