TRX-1: District 10 Il State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie920

I have no problem programing for fire and ambulance or anything else for vermilion county. All of the local police and sheriff channels are encrypted. So I thought I would put the Il State Police in for Vermilion county district 10. Well I am having one H#!# of a time. Is there anybody that is familiar with this scanner and the software that can walk me through to get this. I have watched the videos on Zip scanner but nothing is said about programing trunking channels. Any help will be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!!!!

rayvelcoro

To lead you in the right direction, it appears that you need to be programming the "Pontiac" site of the Starcom 21 system.

Ray

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 ISP-10 ILL-annoyed

IN EZSCAN you import Trunk SYSTEM, (Starcom21) SITES - 204 and 205? Vermillion CO* (closest to you) then TAlk-groups for ISP-10 and assign those to a Scan-list. All will go to the ONE default list unless you tell it otherwise. PONTIAC only dispatches certain Districts due to consolidation and State budgets$. Adding their SITE frequencies if too far away from you won't do it because it's all the way up in Livingston Co.

The EZSCAN hierarchy for Import Is always
SYSTEM - Starcom21
SITES - closest tower to you unless you have a long distance Yagi antenna
Talkgroups- import desired Talkgroups

Last edited by a moderator:

arnie920

what sort of scanner are you using and how long have you had it?

Ray
Ray, I am running a Whistler TRX-1. I have had it about 9 months, but when the local police encrypted I just put it on the shelf. So now I thought that was stupid so I thought I would listen to the state police and ambulances.

arnie920

IN EZSCAN you import Trunk SYSTEM, (Starcom21) SITES - 204 and 205? Vermillion CO* (closest to you) then TAlk-groups for ISP-10 and assign those to a Scan-list. All will go to the ONE default list unless you tell it otherwise. PONTIAC only dispatches certain Districts due to consolidation and State budgets$. Adding their SITE frequencies if too far away from you won't do it because it's all the way up in Livingston Co.

The EZSCAN hierarchy for Import Is always
SYSTEM - Starcom21
SITES - closest tower to you unless you have a long distance Yagi antenna
Talkgroups- import desired Talkgroups

This evening I will see if I can do it like you said. If I have problems can I contact you again? I don't want to be a pain. I already tried programing the state about 20 times with no luck. My last scanner was about 25 years ago it was a BEARCAT w/ crystals LOL!! so you will know where I am coming from.

dmaria

This evening I will see if I can do it like you said. If I have problems can I contact you again? I don't want to be a pain. I already tried programing the state about 20 times with no luck. My last scanner was about 25 years ago it was a BEARCAT w/ crystals LOL!! so you will know where I am coming from.

I live in central Illinois and have a TRX 1 and a TRX 2. I just put in the zip code and they both pick up ISP District 10 and 6. There should be no programming involved.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 District 10 ISP

I agree with dmaria. For ONCE .. the zip code method will get you what you want faster THIS time only because your County isn't as busy and crazy as others in the USA *Like Crook Co. IL up here by Chicago. I tried the Zip code method with my WS1080 and it gives you EVERYTHING in the County that you don't need. It takes forever to reload after even a minor settings change and forever to scan, you never hear what you need. But that area of the STATE of IL ? you might be better off this time to try it. THEN you can review more videos on Youtube other than Zipscanners while you listen. You can always lock out things you don't want as time goes by too. It's really not hard at all once you do it a few times, creating your own scan-lists and ONLY the stuff you want to hear is the best way to go but try the ZIP code for your area, you can always just copy OVER on the SDcard since it's basically just a little hard drive ;0)

arnie920

I live in central Illinois and have a TRX 1 and a TRX 2. I just put in the zip code and they both pick up ISP District 10 and 6. There should be no programming involved.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT THANKS!

arnie920

I agree with dmaria. For ONCE .. the zip code method will get you what you want faster THIS time only because your County isn't as busy and crazy as others in the USA *Like Crook Co. IL up here by Chicago. I tried the Zip code method with my WS1080 and it gives you EVERYTHING in the County that you don't need. It takes forever to reload after even a minor settings change and forever to scan, you never hear what you need. But that area of the STATE of IL ? you might be better off this time to try it. THEN you can review more videos on Youtube other than Zipscanners while you listen. You can always lock out things you don't want as time goes by too. It's really not hard at all once you do it a few times, creating your own scan-lists and ONLY the stuff you want to hear is the best way to go but try the ZIP code for your area, you can always just copy OVER on the SDcard since it's basically just a little hard drive ;0)

Johnnydollar2,
I programmed it like you told me and it worked. Then I tried "dmaria's" way and it did get a lot more action.
1 month after I purchased my scanner, Danville,Il encrypted everything...after spending around 500.00 I was so mad I put it up. But then I noticed we started to get shootings every week and the state police do the investigating so I thought I should start listing to it. I live on route 1 and the police always go by lights and sirens and it was real nice to know what was going on. Now all I can do is watch the car go by and wonder. Is it true its not legal to have a scanner that would be able to encrypt the transmission's??
Is the police transmissions where you and dmaria live encrypted??
A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME!!! I could not have gotten this far without all of you.

DJ11DLN

Even if it was possible, it is not legal to decrypt encrypted comms. And it's not possible, not without a subscriber radio with the proper goodies programmed into it. Which your local PD is not going to hand out to a hobbyist. I feel your pain, my most active local agency (Terre Haute PD) recently went E. Sometimes I hit the WX button because I think the scanner has lost its programming or something, being so quiet. Fortunately the rest of the agencies around here don't seem to feel the need for this nonsense.

At least not yet...

arnie920

Even if it was possible, it is not legal to decrypt encrypted comms. And it's not possible, not without a subscriber radio with the proper goodies programmed into it. Which your local PD is not going to hand out to a hobbyist. I feel your pain, my most active local agency (Terre Haute PD) recently went E. Sometimes I hit the WX button because I think the scanner has lost its programming or something, being so quiet. Fortunately the rest of the agencies around here don't seem to feel the need for this nonsense.

At least not yet...

Yes, but at least you can go to M. Mogger’s Restaurant & Pub.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 ISP - 10 State Police/Vermillion Co

Glad you got things going. Yes, encryption is everywhere. Lots of it is unnecessary in rural areas I feel, but this argument is old and settled so I listen (around) the blackout-encryption. Police in Chicago-land are encrypted for the most part. The FIRE, State Police as well as IDOT and Toll Authority HELP trucks are in the clear and keeping us more safe with information available as it should be. There are still lots of analog conventional frequencies in surrounding Counties like Kane/Lake/DuPage to hear up here. I like listening to IDOT/ITHA Trucks because they seem to get more information than anyone. They are out there on the highways and see things before the police. They are fun to listen to during storms also.

DJ11DLN

Yes, but at least you can go to M. Mogger’s Restaurant & Pub.
I admit I used to like Mogger's but the last couple times I was there I wasn't impressed, maybe it's changed hands. The place was not clean and neither the food nor the service was what it had been. So I haven't been in awhile, as I am opposed to paying high prices for mediocre food and lousy service.:confused:

All in all, I'd take getting THPD back on the scanner. And just so we're not too far OT, I've caught IlSP District 10 on my 436 via GPS when I've been up that way before so I know they can be heard. Maybe next time I have to go that way I'll set it up in one of my ex-RS scanners morphed into WS-1080s and see if it works.:wink:

arnie920

Glad you got things going. Yes, encryption is everywhere. Lots of it is unnecessary in rural areas I feel, but this argument is old and settled so I listen (around) the blackout-encryption. Police in Chicago-land are encrypted for the most part. The FIRE, State Police as well as IDOT and Toll Authority HELP trucks are in the clear and keeping us more safe with information available as it should be. There are still lots of analog conventional frequencies in surrounding Counties like Kane/Lake/DuPage to hear up here. I like listening to IDOT/ITHA Trucks because they seem to get more information than anyone. They are out there on the highways and see things before the police. They are fun to listen to during storms also.

Hey, thanks for the tip. With winter coming on I would say IDOT Trucks would have a LOT of action. I am going to add that one on.

arnie920

I admit I used to like Mogger's but the last couple times I was there I wasn't impressed, maybe it's changed hands. The place was not clean and neither the food nor the service was what it had been. So I haven't been in awhile, as I am opposed to paying high prices for mediocre food and lousy service.:confused:

All in all, I'd take getting THPD back on the scanner. And just so we're not too far OT, I've caught IlSP District 10 on my 436 via GPS when I've been up that way before so I know they can be heard. Maybe next time I have to go that way I'll set it up in one of my ex-RS scanners morphed into WS-1080s and see if it works.:wink:

We don't frequent them to notice. But around here we have noticed this happening quite often. I think because of risiing prices to stay with competition the quality has dropped. And because of what they pay, its hard to find good help.

Status
Not open for further replies.