1098 power strangeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Had it in my car. Ran for a few minutes. Turned it off from the switch.\
Turned the car back on to turn the radio on.
DEAD.
After many button pushes, turned the car off and on again. Came up with the clock and worked.

Arrived home. Plugged into the AC adaper, worked fine.
Decided to use a different outlet. Turned off normally, pulled adapter and moved, DEAD. Button push did nothing.
Unplugged the AC. Plugged back in. DEAD
Pulled the plug from the back, came right on normally.

Anyone seen this before? AC is good,
DC is good, plug in back has to be good because in the car I did not disturb it.
the only thing in common is that each time it was without power for a very short time, under a minute.
Any ideas?

Ed6698

Are you pressing and holding power button until it says to release it when powering it on?
SD card can become corrupted from not powering on correctly.

Also when ever the scanner is connected to computer via usb cable or card reader sd card has to be properly ejected from Windows otherwise SD card can become corrupted.

scosgt

Are you pressing and holding power button until it says to release it when powering it on?
SD card can become corrupted from not powering on correctly.

Also when ever the scanner is connected to computer via usb cable or card reader sd card has to be properly ejected from Windows otherwise SD card can become corrupted.

None of the above. I have it set to run the clock. When power is added the first short press brings up the clock. A longer press brings up the release button message.
But in the two instances above, no manner of button press would initiate power at all.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
None of the above. I have it set to run the clock. When power is added the first short press brings up the clock. A longer press brings up the release button message.
But in the two instances above, no manner of button press would initiate power at all.

Pop the control head off and re-seat as needed when it does this.

Ed6698

Sounds like to me the SD card is being corrupted at some point. It may act normally at times, but unplugging or cutting off power entirely might be corrupting SD card. SD cards are sensitive to voltage drops and power loss with these scanners. I believe there are some people in here that have mentioned in the past about installing a device to stop voltage drops to scanner from happening when vehicle is started or install some kind of dedicated power source. I am sure someone else will be able to go into further detail on it.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
In both cases it was connected by cable not on the main unit.

Then with the power cord disconnected, unplug the control head press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, reconnect the head, then plug in the power, reboot.

Do it as many times as it takes to get it to come back on. I have had the same problem with my trx-2 on occasion and it never goes anywhere. I leave it on 24/7

Ubbe

It's a nightmare with the TRX-2. I don't know how they can say that it's suitable as a mobile scanner. It works as a base scanner but even if I power it off and then disconnect the power, to do some cable rerouting or something, it most of the time will fail to power up again and shows different errors on the display. It isn't a SD card issues as I have tried different brands and sizes.

/Ubbe

Swipesy

I see ths many times on my PSR-800. It happens, even when scanner turned off and I change power source from PC USB to AC power or vise versa. The radio electronics seem to be very sensitive to power input. The quick solution that works without fail when scanner is dead is to remove all USB power, remove one battery from radio for 5 seconds, replace battery, replace usb power and all is well. Just a common occurance with 800.

scosgt

I know this happens with the 800 series. I usually plug it into the computer and it comes back to life,

In this case I think there may be a point about the ethernet cable. I am using a 10 foot ribbon cable. It does work properly, but it is possible that at times on power up it is not recognized.
Thanks for all the other suggestions.
This is not an SD card issue, it is a power to the head issue as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.