wiki coding hints and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Recently, I've seen a small rash of coding issues with the wiki - there are several differences between coding a web page and a wiki article, and while we don't subscribe to every wiki standard, we do try to suggest that we keep to the standards as much as we can.

Here are some of the most common issues, and how to fix them;

a. Coding a wiki link as a HTML link

Inserting a HTML link into an article like this;

http://www.mcdxt.it/LASWLOGS.html

is referred to as a 'bare link', and is frowned upon. If you are trying to link to an external website, the following coding is suggested;

[http://www.mcdxt.it/LASWLOGS.html Latin American SW Logs]

Notice the use of the square brackets. The URL is on the left, and the desired hypertext - in this case 'Latin American SW Logs' - is on the right.

b. Linking from one article on our wiki to another

There's no need to supply the URL; simply insert the name of the article in double square brackets, like this:

[[Marine VHF Channels]]

Note that spelling, punctuation and caps all count. If you don't want to use that text in your article, simply insert a pipe symbol (shift of \) and place the desired text after it. For example;

[[Marine VHF Channels|Marine]] Here, the word 'Marine' will show up in the article.

c. Categories

In the wiki parlance, a category is nothing more than a grouping of wiki articles under a common logical theme. Categories are nice, because it makes it very easy to find a desired article, and are automatically maintained by the wiki software. The user needs to do nothing more than adding the appropriate command to the article, preferably as the last line. You can add more than 1 category to an article, and this is to be encouraged; the more an article is categorized or indexed, the more likely it will be found and read.

We now have over 4 dozen categories, and while we don't have all of them on the main page - the first page you see when you bring up the wiki - most of them are there. You can view this list at:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Special:Categories

Here is an example of a category statement

[[Category:Antennas]]

With over 1200 articles in our wiki, it's vital that these categories are utilized and maintained. It adds order and organization to what would otherwise be a difficult mess of articles to find, or read

d. Posting of frequency information

This has become a topic of discussion on other forums of late. If either frequency or talkgroup information is present on the database, and you wish to use it as a starting point for your article, the use of the wiki extensions is highly encouraged. You can read about how to use them here;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/RR_Wiki_Extensions

One possibility is to place the frequencies for a new P25 system on the article (if they're on the database), and leave the rest of the area empty to begin mapping talkgroups. When the system seems to be fully mapped, submit the URL of the article to the database administrators. This save a little effort having to handle numerous requests for the same item - they're all in one place.

If you have questions about how to use these or other functions, please email Bezking or myself. We'll be happy to point you in the right direction

73 Mike

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Thanks very much.

Fixed most of the stuff on the Illinois Wiki Page

(still have to fix stuff on the county pages listed under there)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks for the kind words, both of you. This year I've been experimenting a little bit to see what works, and maybe expand the wiki's exposure just a little. The Blue Angels and TBirds articles were an experiment, as well as hosting FreeScan's user manual. There will be some more of this a bit later, I think.

I've also constructed a 'selected articles' grouping which is being used on another scanning related website to try to get a few more users.

One thing that I've been mulling over is trying to get some of the scanning clubs like CARMA to link to our wiki as well, but I just haven't come up with a good way to get this done. More thinking necessary....73 Mike

ebear422

tilde glitch

Can't help noticing the following glitch:
(and I don't know how this will read on other computers)
"Española" is rendered as "Española"
(E s p a n-tilde o l a) (E s p a ampersand n t i l d e ; o l a)
probably because somewhere in the software an unwanted favor was done with the ampersand ...
the page URL I see this on is http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=116
or New Mexico State Police Scanner

Eric Bear Albrecht
Socorro County, NM

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Eric no one is going to actually know about this since it has nothing to do with the original topic. Please start a new thread with this issue - probably best in the NM forum

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.