RID/UID information in the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This thread will become a sticky for now and serve as a bridge to continue the discussion from another forum.

Please place all RID/UID information in the wiki. In addition, it's strongly urged that such articles should be attached to the trunked system whose users are being identified.

The format of this information is up to you to decide.

I will construct a RID/UID category (to be called RID.UID Lists or similar - if someone has a better name, speak up now) tomorrow (one for now - if we find we need 2, it's no biggie to split) - there are 4 or so articles already in the wiki with this information, and I think the Saskatchewan article has some as well. All you need to do is to add the following line at the bottom of each article;

[[Category:RID/UID Lists]]

It would be helpful if someone were to build a definition article for the RR Glossary for these terms (along with appropriate synonyms, if any exist) so that newcomers know what is being discussed. Include in this description the list of XT radios that support this feature.

73 Mike

W6KRU

Which UID/RIDs should be included in these listings? I have so many in my local system that I am reluctant to add them to my scanner and tag them. Some of the IDs are relevant and some not.

Highpockets

Which UID/RIDs should be included in these listings? I have so many in my local system that I am reluctant to add them to my scanner and tag them. Some of the IDs are relevant and some not.

Good point. Systems with 4000-5000 radios in time the Wiki will become a mess, as radio as taken out for repair they may never be put back in the same car, and if new radios are purchased every year or so on a fleet that big, it could become a mess.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Your call - 5000 radios are too many to tag. Most fire rigs never replace the radio, and when they do they keep the RID. Don't bother with portables.

W6KRU

Your call - 5000 radios are too many to tag. Most fire rigs never replace the radio, and when they do they keep the RID. Don't bother with portables.

Fire rigs yes and portables no? Dispatch consoles and helicopters, yes? This could be completely different on a smallish system where things aren't swapped around as much. I could, with much effort link vehicles to RIDs but why? I listen to local PD mostly but if someone else concentrates on Animal Control they will want those RIDs?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Dan, I would most certainly put in whatever you wish. While many agencies share their portable radios around, many others do not, and so that is a worthless argument in this case.

An agency near me programs radios with the middle two digits being the station number and the last two digits being the individual radio or position, with vehicles being 01-49 and portables 51-99. Example: 704101 is in Station 41 and is a vehicle. 704153 is the third portable radio in Station 41. Furthermore, the first six portables are always assigned to the fire engine, the next two to the rescue or ladder or similar 2-person support truck, etc., so 704153 is always going to be the senior firefighter on Engine 41.

Radio IDs above 709999 are reserved for console usage (as there are less than 100 stations in this agency).

So the above is an example of one situation where, despite arguments to the contrary, every radio in a system has a static assignment and will not change day-to-day, or even week-to-week or month-to-month.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Go ahead and add a line for that, Steve. I didn't know the GRE radios did that. Thanks for pointing that out 73 Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Don't forget that if you wanted to track tens of thousands of Radio IDs, you could great a separate wiki page for blocks of them and then link back to a page that has links to each of those pages.

For instance

Blah System Radios 1-1000
Blah System Radios 1001-2000

etc

Or

Blah System Fire Ids
Blah System Public Works Ids

W6KRU

Dan, I would most certainly put in whatever you wish. While many agencies share their portable radios around, many others do not, and so that is a worthless argument in this case.

An agency near me programs radios with the middle two digits being the station number and the last two digits being the individual radio or position, with vehicles being 01-49 and portables 51-99. Example: 704101 is in Station 41 and is a vehicle. 704153 is the third portable radio in Station 41. Furthermore, the first six portables are always assigned to the fire engine, the next two to the rescue or ladder or similar 2-person support truck, etc., so 704153 is always going to be the senior firefighter on Engine 41.

Radio IDs above 709999 are reserved for console usage (as there are less than 100 stations in this agency).

So the above is an example of one situation where, despite arguments to the contrary, every radio in a system has a static assignment and will not change day-to-day, or even week-to-week or month-to-month.

You have a good case for tracking the UIDs there Jay. I wish they were more useful on the system here.

davidbond21

Don't forget that in using the acronyms of RID/UID, EDACS systems use LIDs(Logical IDs). I already made a LID page a little while back for the multi county LCRA EDACS which has some 1600 LIDs in it, almost all identified as to what agency they are used by and others with more info.

I listed all of them on one page. Some agencies use radios in neat blocks of consecutive numbering, and other agencies have their LIDs all over the place. We also have a separate LID section of all the identified consoles.

The wiki page has been placed under the banner of the larger LCRA wiki article we have in the Texas Collaboration Portal, along 2 other wiki articles examining unknown/unidentified talkgroups along with the LIDs that have been spotted on them, and a page examining the various patches/patched talkgroups used.

Should my LID page be moved to the new category, and just update the link in the main LCRA wiki article?

Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)/LCRA LIDs - The RadioReference Wiki

EDIT: OK, I need to read things twice in the morning if I'm going to do it before the coffee gets to work on me. Just added that page to the new category, and kicked myself for how easy it was and thinking it'd be harder than that.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of reminders;

a. Do not use the Trunking Information category along with the RID/UID Lists if the page only contains RIDs. The Trunking Information category is used to capture incomplete information for a trunk system that someday will go the database. RIDs/UIDs will not go to the database. They will be kept in the wiki only.

b. I have one user who put a RID list together for Weld County Colorado, but neglected to say anything about which trunked system his list documents (there are 5, according to the database) I suspect it would be for the DTRS in his area, but it's unclear. Another put a skeleton out for 'Arlington', but there are many locations with that name. Be specific about which system you are documenting! Either put something in the article name, or better, put in a link to the database entry. It's quite easy to do this; either way keeps the article specific to the system being described. In the Arlington case, if that is supposed to be Texas, then the link to the database would be coded like this;

* [http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1 Arlington Texas Trunk System]

The URL is followed by the hypertext you wish to use to identify the link

c. Be sure to link the article to the proper county or system. Check the collaboration gateway to see if a link to your trunk system (or county) exists. The Gateway is accessed in a few ways; either from the link in the front page, or via the Wiki pulldown (under the Scanner Master logo). You can select your state, and then follow the links to either your county, or see if the trunk system has a link somewhere on the state or county level. Remember, lists like this have little meaning without some context to state what system is being documented, and from where.

TIA and 73 Mike

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I hope you folks planning ahead for RR.com realize that there are going to be millions of RID/UID/LID to list.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I'd be surprised if RR ever has more than 10,000 total... Realize that to get those millions listed, thousands of people have to submit thousands of RIDs. While I think they're cool, my limit to wiki-updating is about a hundred ;)

soncorn

Another put a skeleton out for 'Arlington', but there are many locations with that name. Be specific about which system you are documenting! Either put something in the article name, or better, put in a link to the database entry. It's quite easy to do this; either way keeps the article specific to the system being described. In the Arlington case, if that is supposed to be Texas, then the link to the database would be coded like this;

* [Arlington Trunking System, Arlington, Texas - Scanner Frequencies Arlington Texas Trunk System]

The URL is followed by the hypertext you wish to use to identify the link

Okay I added a link back to the main database entry for the system.

Can you change the name from Arlington to Arlington, TX? I merely used the base wiki page from the collaborate area of the Arlington, TX database page. That system is labeled merely as Arlington and I cannot see a way to change that to Arlington, TX TRS or similar.

I went ahead and removed the [[Category:RID/UID Lists]] from the Arlington wiki page until someone with more permissions than this humble user can fix the issues.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll move the article, and link it to Tarrant county, where it belongs. In the future, you can do the 'move' yourself, by using the Move tab on the left side of the page. Thanks 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.