Template Field, but data unseen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to create a temple...

Template:Federal Trunking Infobox - The RadioReference Wiki

and i would like to make it so that you can link to both state's forum that the TRS is in, and also to the federal discussion forum. Federal is easy, bust how to enter in the state is the problem since it requires the states name to be in lower case in the URL for the forum, but in the interest of not looking like a schlub, I would like it to display the States name in Upper case...

Is there a way to create a field that won't show up on a temple, but that the data can exist for the connectivity of the template?

ibagli

How do you mean "won't show up"? Edit: You can get rid of the line in the table that displays the lowercase/hyphenated state name, and have the "state" parameter only in the URL if that's what you mean.

Last edited:

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
but i need the lower case to exist for the URL to function properly... can i have that data field exist without it being visible to end users?

do i only want the template to have
|-
| '''State'''
| {{{State}}}
|-
| {{{state}}}
|-

instead of
|-
| '''State'''
| {{{State}}}
|-
| '''state'''
| {{{state}}}
|-

ibagli

The only place where you need "state" is within the URL for the discussion forum. It will work fine without it being made visible elsewhere in the template (like the "sid" parameter that's only in the database link).

Code:
|-
| '''State'''
| {{{State}}}
|-
|colspan="2"|[http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid={{{sid}}} {{{SysName}}} System DB Entry]
|-
|colspan="2"|[http://forums.radioreference.com/{{{state}}}-radio-discussion-forum/ {{{State}}} Discussion Forum]
|-

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

After playing around with it, i finally realized that i didnt even have to have it listed as an item on the temple and that i only needed it in the data set on the individual article pages...

Status
Not open for further replies.