Wiki for dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The title of your message is nearly the title of a book that I've seen recommended for learning about the wiki - there is a Mediawiki for Dummies book, and I think you can find that on Amazon.

What are you trying to do? There are enough people here that are wiki-conversant that we can probably figure out a way to do it...best regards..Mike

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mike I was hoping to find a Local person that can patiently show me some how to's Im a guy that learns by seeing how its done .....
That said when I see something in wiki like lets say a map if I click edit I should see what stuff they did [[ ]] or what ever ..... sometimes this works for me sometimes I got no idea how they got something done ....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Jeff you can edit almost any page to see how something gets done. Heck, that's how I started learning the Mediawiki language. But then I'm a developer by profession, so perhaps that gives me an advantage.

However there are several places you can go - online - to learn how to do things. There are a couple of links right at the bottom of the main page. There's a quick guide, a printable PDF based card, and even a link to the language website, which is pretty good. All these links exist in the 'Editing and Commands' section.

For example - the double brackets ( [[ ]] ) are used to link to another page within the wiki. Single brackets ( [ ] ) are used to create a hyperlink to something outside the wiki. When using a link to something inside our wiki, spelling and punctuation all count! If the link turns out red when you store it, it means the wiki can't find the article - and that usually points to a spelling error.

Also I noticed that a LOT of information appears to be hard copied from our database. That really should be avoided unless there's no other way to get it. We have a set of extensions that you can use to do this - and they're fully explained here...

RR Wiki Extensions - The RadioReference Wiki

Finally if you have some function(s) that you find are repeating time and again, you should really consider creating a template. These are powerful tools that allow for a common set of code to be called time and again, which use replaceable variables (tokens). We use them very frequently in our NY collaboration section. They are pretty well explained in the language website.

Really if you're serious about learning this language, getting the book I mentioned earlier is a good way to start. No doubt there are other reference manuals out there. Read and try to use some of the things I've mentioned. You have your own user area where you can play without letting everyone else see it.

best regards..Mike

SCPD

QRT
My Wiki phpwiki is pretty simple and clean cut also. to link an image I just open the Legacy file manager on the server and look in the images folder for the name and then type

* [http://www.yoursite.us/wiki3/images/picture.jpg]
I put the * in and hit space-bar 3 times, this spaces your image out from the edge some.

then click save page and its there.

I too learn by seeing, and I found a few decent references online; This was good and so is this on Source Forge was helpful also. I have a list of notes I made from playing in the wiki sandbox which have proved to make wiki life easier.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very interesting stuff there, Max. I may look at that site a bit later in more detail...best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To be truthful I did the same - then I started reading stuff on the language reference website and just trying it.

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.