Multiple colums

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I remember seeing an example of this but can't find it.

Say I have a 60 line entry in a table in the wiki but would like to make three columns across the page of 20 lines each.

How do I do that?

SCPD

QRT
Actually I don't really want to use tables. I guess I wasn't clear. I just want a box sort of like this:

~~~~
Aaaacccckkkkk !!!
~~~~

Well that didn't work because it removed the spaces between columns.

I just have to look for it again. I believe it was QDP2012 who did it.

SCPD

QRT
Yes!

That's what I was thinking but couldn't find an example.

I have Texpad which will allow me to do that simply.

Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Burrhead, by chance are you trying to document talkgroups on a single channel DMR system? We have a specific template for that which we'd prefer to be used...Mike

QDP2012

I remember seeing an example of this but can't find it.

Say I have a 60 line entry in a table in the wiki but would like to make three columns across the page of 20 lines each.

How do I do that?

Another solution for side-by-side layout is to use nested-tables. Basically, an outer-table with its border hidden is used to create the columns, and each of its unbordered-columns contains a stand-alone inner-table with borders visible.

The first three sections of Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County (P25) RID/UIDs have been reformatted using this technique.

There are HTML-comments in the page's Wiki-code to help clarify. HTML code was used to create the outer table just to make it obvious which table was outer and which was inner. The outer table could be created using Wiki-syntax, but some Wiki-editors might find that confusing.

If you would like to reformat the remainder of the page, you can follow those examples. If you want to revert back to the previous formatting, you can click the page's "History" button and undo the related changes.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
That's what I was looking to do.
Some of the existing formats are hard to convert - I'm not going to do them all - just ones I have an interest in.
I got into trouble using offline search and replace for the UID/RID issue - I didn't notice the referred link section :)

QDP2012

As you have discovered, even though the nested-table technique is slightly more complex initially, one of its major benefits is that it allows future Wiki-editors to conveniently insert individual table-rows within a particular table, unlike the <pre>...</pre> format technique which requires an increasing amount of copy-pasting to insert new data as a sorted-list grows in length.

Thanks for contributing to the Wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.