Download FreeScan vs.Virus checkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm sure we've all seen the various complaints about how a virus checker prevents FreeScan from downloading, even though there is NO virus with this software.

The cause is that some of the coding it uses resembles a virus - and that's what triggers the warning. Folks have had to go through a lot of gyrations to bypass this issue.

I think it's time we documented the steps that are needed to bypass this issue - but it concerns me that we would be showing some not-so-pleasant folks how to bypass these virus checkers and put real viruses / malware on their machines.

Thoughts? Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Turning off security in the edge browser and defender to download are just temporary, its up to the users to follow instructions to turn them back on. Using defender to make an exclusion for freescan if someone wants to save a copy is permanent. Again if the instructions are correct and they follow them correctly, not a problem.

Are you thinking a new wiki page for this? hehe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, and not just for Defender - I am pretty sure I've seen other virus checkers choke on it (I have Avast, and it hasn't given me a problem)

We have a lot of newcomers trying to use FreeScan, and the questions keeps popping up time and time again. It's worthwhile to have a page off the User guide to address this.

Mike

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
When I attempt to download from a safe site,

as you've posted, and AVG pops up with a warning, I can tell it to allow the download. I then will do a scan and see what AVG says again. If I know it's a safe program, I then allow it to operate.
But that's just me. Most all sites I search, go to, am interested in are usually safe.
It falls upon the person to use good judgement.
Just my .02 cents worth.
You have a really good idea, I say go with it.
73s, Roger

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If someone would post the precise steps they used to get Defender to allow (or bypass the warnings) for downloading FreeScan, we can capture those steps in the article in the last message. That way we can stop repeating the same thing (FreeScan has no viruses...) over and over again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.