RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Wiki Forum

Wiki Forum - Discussions regarding the RadioReference Wiki

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Question RR Wiki Extensions and extra carriage returns

I was using the RR Wiki Extension to include the TRS Name as a hyperlink to the system and then include the system details. The code is adding extra carriage returns after the system name (see attached screenshots).

Anybody know why? I used to include it as:
Code:
 [https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8815 T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus System]
and it does not add extra carriage returns but it does using the new {{DB|s|8815|T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus}} syntax.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2017, 2:33 PM

It appears that there has been recent addition of links to template documentation that contained extra returns that are not needed.

Incorrect, causing formatting issues:
Code:
[http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?{{{1}}}id={{{2}}} {{{3|View the corresponding database page for this article.}}}]

<noinclude>
==Template Documentation==
*Please navigate to [[:Template:DB/doc]] for documentation about this template.
</noinclude>
Corrected:
Code:
[http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?{{{1}}}id={{{2}}} {{{3|View the corresponding database page for this article.}}}]<noinclude>
*Please navigate to [[:Template:DB/doc]] for documentation about this template.
</noinclude>
I am going through and correcting other templates that might also cause this issue.
Old 10-12-2017, 2:50 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The two are totally unrelated; the doc you are changing is for templates, and the extra spacing makes it easier to read; the extensions are completely different

Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
The two are totally unrelated; the doc you are changing is for templates, and the extra spacing makes it easier to read; the extensions are completely different

Mike
Not sure if this is directed at me, but the extra spacing outside the <noinclude> tag were being included in all articles that were using TemplateB. If the spacing were contained within the <noinclude> tag, such as it is in Template:Tracker NXDN, then there would not be an issue. I just chose to delete them, but they can be added back if that is what you want.

The article that was mentioned by the OP no longer has the extra returns after the changes were made.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

To get back on track here from the slightly OT stuff, the extensions were coded by Lindsay, so it's likely he's the one that you should be asking, Cubn

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2017, 8:33 PM

I fail to see why my reply is consider OT since it directly addresses the problem (as described by cubn) and provides the solution. It was mistakenly thought to be a extension issue, but it is actually a template issue.

Editors modifying any template should aware that all return characters not intended to be included as part of the template should contained within the <noinclude> and not outside of it. It can (and did) mess up formatting for multiple articles that use these templates.

Correct usage:
Code:
(Template)<noinclude>

</noinclude>
Incorrect usage:
Code:
(Template)
<noinclude>
</noinclude>
I made another correction for Template:Thread. You can see the before and after screenshots below to see how it affected the Marine VHF Channels and TETRA articles. Note that neither article has been recently edited.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Old 10-19-2017, 8:18 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think there's a misunderstanding here between the difference between a template and an extension.

These are the only extensions that the chief coded to pull data from the wiki; see the first post of this thread.

RR Wiki Extensions - The RadioReference Wiki

Everything else is a template, and are not extensions. So this is really OT, as the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, and not templates. Please read the topic of this thread.

Mike
Old 10-19-2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
Everything else is a template, and are not extensions. So this is really OT, as the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, and not templates. Please read the topic of this thread.
Yes, the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, but the whole point of this topic is dealing with the "extra carriage returns" issue that is introduced by a template. The OP incorrectly used the term "extensions" when he was actually talking about templates.

It appears that the content of the original post identifying the problem is being completely ignored because of the semantics of the topic title. I point to the relevant quote from the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubn View Post
I used to include it as:
Code:
 [https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8815 T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus System]
and it does not add extra carriage returns but it does using the new {{DB|s|8815|T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus}} syntax.
The content of the original post specifically identifies the symptoms as being introduced when using the {{DB}} template, unless I am completely mistaken with my understanding of the existence of Template: DB. To claim it has nothing to do with templates is ignorant of what the original post was trying to point out because of the focus being placed on the incorrect usage of terminology.

Last edited by Spitfire8520; 10-19-2017 at 4:41 PM.. Reason: Other thoughts.