RR Wiki Extensions and extra carriage returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubn

Database Admin
I was using the RR Wiki Extension to include the TRS Name as a hyperlink to the system and then include the system details. The code is adding extra carriage returns after the system name (see attached screenshots).

Anybody know why? I used to include it as:
Code:
 [https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8815 T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus System]
and it does not add extra carriage returns but it does using the new {{DB|s|8815|T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus}} syntax.

Attachments

• wiki text.jpg
    wiki text.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 190
  • wiki pic.jpg
    wiki pic.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 197

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
It appears that there has been recent addition of links to template documentation that contained extra returns that are not needed.

Incorrect, causing formatting issues:
Code:
[http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?{{{1}}}id={{{2}}} {{{3|View the corresponding database page for this article.}}}]

<noinclude>
==Template Documentation==
*Please navigate to [[:Template:DB/doc]] for documentation about this template.
</noinclude>

Corrected:
Code:
[http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?{{{1}}}id={{{2}}} {{{3|View the corresponding database page for this article.}}}]<noinclude>
*Please navigate to [[:Template:DB/doc]] for documentation about this template.
</noinclude>

I am going through and correcting other templates that might also cause this issue.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The two are totally unrelated; the doc you are changing is for templates, and the extra spacing makes it easier to read; the extensions are completely different

Mike

Spitfire8520

The two are totally unrelated; the doc you are changing is for templates, and the extra spacing makes it easier to read; the extensions are completely different

Mike

Not sure if this is directed at me, but the extra spacing outside the <noinclude> tag were being included in all articles that were using Template:DB. If the spacing were contained within the <noinclude> tag, such as it is in Template:Tracker NXDN, then there would not be an issue. I just chose to delete them, but they can be added back if that is what you want.

The article that was mentioned by the OP no longer has the extra returns after the changes were made.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To get back on track here from the slightly OT stuff, the extensions were coded by Lindsay, so it's likely he's the one that you should be asking, Cubn

Mike

Spitfire8520

I fail to see why my reply is consider OT since it directly addresses the problem (as described by cubn) and provides the solution. It was mistakenly thought to be a extension issue, but it is actually a template issue.

Editors modifying any template should aware that all return characters not intended to be included as part of the template should contained within the <noinclude> and not outside of it. It can (and did) mess up formatting for multiple articles that use these templates.

Correct usage:
Code:
(Template)<noinclude>

</noinclude>

Incorrect usage:
Code:
(Template)
<noinclude>
</noinclude>

I made another correction for Template:Thread. You can see the before and after screenshots below to see how it affected the Marine VHF Channels and TETRA articles. Note that neither article has been recently edited.

Before:
f5WrYAh.png

After:
bc3xzvO.png

Before:
DcxUtex.png

After:
ZCglZ5R.png

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think there's a misunderstanding here between the difference between a template and an extension.

These are the only extensions that the chief coded to pull data from the wiki; see the first post of this thread.

RR Wiki Extensions - The RadioReference Wiki

Everything else is a template, and are not extensions. So this is really OT, as the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, and not templates. Please read the topic of this thread.

Mike

Spitfire8520

Everything else is a template, and are not extensions. So this is really OT, as the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, and not templates. Please read the topic of this thread.

Yes, the original topic specifically mentioned extensions, but the whole point of this topic is dealing with the "extra carriage returns" issue that is introduced by a template. The OP incorrectly used the term "extensions" when he was actually talking about templates.

It appears that the content of the original post identifying the problem is being completely ignored because of the semantics of the topic title. I point to the relevant quote from the original post.

I used to include it as:
Code:
 [https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8815 T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus System]
and it does not add extra carriage returns but it does using the new {{DB|s|8815|T-Mobile Arena DMR Capacity Plus}} syntax.

The content of the original post specifically identifies the symptoms as being introduced when using the {{DB}} template, unless I am completely mistaken with my understanding of the existence of Template: DB. To claim it has nothing to do with templates is ignorant of what the original post was trying to point out because of the focus being placed on the incorrect usage of terminology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.