Marathon County cut-over

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfriberg

Premium Subscriber
Department (Information Site)

...When is the cut-over?

The "cut-over" is planned to begin July 25, 2011 beginning with Wausau Fire and Wausau PD.

Has anyone heard any details yet? Looking at the FCC records I see that the repeater freqs are no longer listed under the old Wausau PD callsign KFK522. Anyone know if they are moving to a trunked system or staying with a conventional system?

SCPD

QRT
Read further down on the page. It explains the radio radio system even gives the radio ID plans

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Marathon county cut-over to P25

Since there was nothing mentioned that is specific to a trunking system, I would say they are just switching to conventional P25.

Ya know this might get intresting to watch, just to see how Marathon County shakes out, i still recall back when they were discussing it, and the inference i got is that they were gonna be using diferent freqs, again this a ways back, so that might have changed. Personally i hope (and think) what they`ll do, in the interest of being simple and keeping the reprogramming of radios to a minemum, is just stay on the channels they got and add a few new ones to the mix, although i could be wrong too. N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Just read the stuff on the information site that was linked to in the first post, and i find this realy intresting, and i am a bit confused too, the site said the cut-over will happen in the fall of 2011. I`m guessing this was moved up for some reason? Just curious. Also, i`m looking forward to seeing how this whole thing goes, as i`ve already seen indications that this will happen sooner rather than later (saw evidence of it this morning when a friend that is a WPD officer showed up here at the building for something and when he was done with his buisness showed me the radio he had). As i`ve said before, this should be intresting, and fun to watch, just to see what crops up. N9NRA

musiclistener

Wausau Police Fire EMS ? P25?

I am in the process of having my Motorola Astro programmed. I see Marathon County has a P25 channel set up. What about the rest? Do I wait to see what happens or go with what is in Radio Reference? Any help will be great. Thanks.

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings..

As of 2 weeks ago...Marathon county was still operating in analog mode on all channels except the jails on 154.0625. I also heard no activity on 155.6100 during a 24 hour monitoring period I had.

Tim

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Greetings..

As of 2 weeks ago...Marathon county was still operating in analog mode on all channels except the jails on 154.0625. I also heard no activity on 155.6100 during a 24 hour monitoring period I had.

Tim

I think they`re still shakin` out the bugs yet, i also have monitored 155.6100 off and on and heard nothing, also FYI, a couple of ham friends clued me the door on some new freqs that were going to be used, in short, some of the old channels will be still around, and some will be changed. Since this is all still in flux i really loath to be givin` out these new channels yet, better to wait till the dust settles here :). Anyways, this will still be a fun thingy to sit back and watch, as from what i`ve gotten from FD friends i have around these parts some of them people really don`t like this, i`ve heard stuff about many dead spots and issues with radios not being heard, so this bears watching, just to see how this grows up :). N9NRA

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
Will the county fire and the city of Wausau fire switch to digital or will they stay on analog??

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Will the county fire and the city of Wausau fire switch to digital or will they stay on analog??

See the first part of my post above yours for some of my thinkins` on this, all i will add here is that i`m not really sure, i`ve heard lots of chatter about going digital, but so far nothing has happened yet, as i said, i think they`re still gettin` the ghosts outta this thingy still, and untill they accomplish that they probably won`t be doing any digital stuff for a while. N9NRA

jfriberg

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Marathon County is doing coverage testing today. MNSO2 (155.520) is using NAC 372 and it sounds like they are switching County Fire to 154.9650 PL186.2.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like Marathon County is doing coverage testing today. MNSO2 (155.520) is using NAC 372 and it sounds like they are switching County Fire to 154.9650 PL186.2.

Yup, listening to `em right now on MNSO2, actually sounds pretty good audio-wise. N9NRA

ir8ib

I think they`re still shakin` out the bugs yet, i also have monitored 155.6100 off and on and heard nothing, also FYI, a couple of ham friends clued me the door on some new freqs that were going to be used, in short, some of the old channels will be still around, and some will be changed. Since this is all still in flux i really loath to be givin` out these new channels yet, better to wait till the dust settles here :). Anyways, this will still be a fun thingy to sit back and watch, as from what i`ve gotten from FD friends i have around these parts some of them people really don`t like this, i`ve heard stuff about many dead spots and issues with radios not being heard, so this bears watching, just to see how this grows up :). N9NRA

never replied to a post before so hope this is right spot. U seem to be the man to talk to around here. i am an avid scanner listener. ive had my scanner frequencies the same now for alot of years and kinda fell behind on all the technology behind it being busy with work and all. the new switch is buggin me and i want to talk with you about all of this in person if thats possible. My biggest things r if they are going to b fully encrypted like the old DVP the cops use(d) or if ur gonna actually be able to listen if you upgrade to a better scanner.

ir8ib

do u hear the weird things they r sayin on 154.9650. i believe they testing the new cty fire freq. if i can hear them on analog Radio Shack pro-82 wat does this mean?

ir8ib

analog to digital

i have a feeling im gonna have to wait a wile to see wat they do as far as switching or not. dont wanna spen a grand for nothin.

fixit35

marathon p25 this morning

testing going on now on 154.845 in digital mode.

jfriberg

Premium Subscriber
Sheriff and city law channels should be switching to digital. Don't think Fire will go to digital, just a new channel. No plans to move to a trunked system. Unless they are going to hang on to a simulcast analog channel, your Pro-82 will no longer get the Law channels.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Sheriff and city law channels should be switching to digital. Don't think Fire will go to digital, just a new channel. No plans to move to a trunked system. Unless they are going to hang on to a simulcast analog channel, your Pro-82 will no longer get the Law channels.

Any idea as to when? This should be fun to watch :D. N9NRA

ir8ib

ok i see

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.