City of Milwaukee OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctadam12

Is it possible to buy a Harris P7200 handheld and program Milwaukee's system (monitor only) and use it as a scanner?

KG7PBS

well let me say this yes you can. but you need to have the System Info to do it, and there 256 AES Encrypted Keys, and after all that you have to Hack the System Core to add your Radio ID and ESN Number to it. so Yes you Can go for it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

If that title is correct, that is not an Opensky network, it is an EDACS network. EDACS is a P16 compliant network, the Ericsson/Tyco/GE/M/A Com/Harris answer to Motorola Type 2. As long as you have purchased the Provoice option on Uniden scanners, and the digital talkgroups are not encrypted, you can easily listen to EDACS. Nothing special needed.

The city I live near uses EDACS, both analogue and provoice talk groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
OpenSky is so secure, even its users can't hear it :)

RayAir

I used to use OpenSky at a previous job. IMO, it worked and sounded just as good as P25. However, we had one of the few working systems in the country of the handful that are still around.

So, here's how it works and the hang ups that prevent unauthorized radios from monitoring:

- There's very little info to program into RPM. Most is handled at the system level.

- Each radio has it's own IP address. No, you can't clone another radios IP even if you knew one. Your radio has to be sent traffic to receive anything.

- Each radio has a 10 digit ID. When you boot the radio, it logs in with this ID and authenticates to the system. Based on your ID, your appropriate talk group profiles are then downloaded to your radio. The radios can be set to auto log-in or require you to enter this ID upon boot.

Even without encryption, passive monitoring with capable equipment isn't going to happen. Most of the TGs were unencrypted. The encrypted ones, if you had access to them, required a password to be entered upon boot up, no auto log-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.