Wisconsin to seek new statewide radio system used by emergency responders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkescan

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...n-to-seek-newstatewide-radio-system-used.html

The Wisconsin Office of Emergency Communications is currently in the process of developing a request for proposal for a statewide, shared interoperable radio communications system.
Currently, public safety agencies, like emergency responders, use the Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications, or WISCOM, to communicate during major disasters or large-scale incidents, said Lori Getter, crisis communications manager for Wisconsin Emergency Management.
Some public safety agencies use it on a daily basis, she said.
The current system is reaching the end of its life cycle, Getter said. The cost for the new system will be determined by the RFP responses.
Beginning the week of June 11, the OEC will host regional listening sessions and interviews throughout the state to gather feedback from public safety agencies that use the system, operate their own radio system, or anyone interested in joining the new statewide radio system in the future.
Two sessions are scheduled in the Milwaukee area on June 12 at Waukesha County EOC, 1621 Woodburn Road, Waukesha, from 8 to 10 a.m. and at Walworth County Government Center, Room 214, 100 W. Walworth St., Elkhorn, from 1 to 3 p.m.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Any feedback or information from these meetings?

ResQguy

Meh
A P25 system nearing EOL? Does not compute..

The system is 11 years old, I assure you that there are components that are EOL/NLA. Site controllers, routers, consoles, you name it. Even if this was a Motorola system, it would be time for a major update.

All the information you seek is on the wiscom website.

The system is 8 years old, and all major components are still very much in production and available...albeit the new versions of now-outdated equipment in some cases. Regardless, plug and play replacements are available.

No question it's time for a refresh, regardless of vendor.

As for session feedback...it sounded of a broken record: lack of user training and support, lack of fiscal support from the state and lack of portable coverage from those that assumed such a thing exists statewide.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It was still being installed just 7 years ago. I wonder what is driving this decision.

And the replacements for the repeaters and NIU's became available several years ago. All you are showing is a standard EOL announcement for certain components. That doesn't mean that suddenly there are no replacements and the system is compromised or non-functional :roll:

Frankly put, the replacements available now in 2018 are far more capable than the old equipment they replaced anyway and have been getting installed for some time as needed.

But let's not let facts get in the way of some made-up drama on the internet...

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am certain a couple vendors, M and H would love for that system to be sent out for bid. The solution would be 700/800 MHz and 3 x sites.

I skimmed the Tusa report and I don't read anything that says burn it down and start over. Problems yes, but as far as obsolete, no. This system was self built so there are some grounding and bonding issues, some subscriber radio incompatabilitues from one vendor. IM and coverage holes - yes.

WISCOM could install newer versions of stations at new sites, replace older stations at some sites ( and put those into spares inventory), and keep running.

That said, some bean counter can always create some scenario demanding they start over.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

sfd119

Better coverage and using the system day to day for free would make it heavily used. Look at MN's ARMER system.

Status
Not open for further replies.