Home Patrol 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Markinsac

Be aware that neither of these models are set up for DMR (MotoTRBO, etc) or NXDN. If you're primarily interested in law/fire systems, I'd suggest looking at the systems near you in the database to check what each system there is using. You'll also want to check the local forums to see if any of the systems have upgrade plans announced.

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
I am in Polk County, WI and the only Counties I am concerned with is Polk County, Burnet County WI and Chisago County in MN.
I have a 996P2 but it is kicking my butt also this darn computer does not have com ports why ??? and I know do jack about computors ther then the on off button.

Bronty

Premium Subscriber
I am in Polk County, WI and the only Counties I am concerned with is Polk County, Burnet County WI and Chisago County in MN.
I have a 996P2 but it is kicking my butt also this darn computer does not have com ports why ??? and I know do jack about computors ther then the on off button.

Polk County (WI):
Polk County, Wisconsin (WI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Burnett County (WI):
Burnett County, Wisconsin (WI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Chisago County (MN);
Chisago County, Minnesota (MN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Check out each of the links above and see what you are going to want to listen to, You can get an idea of what systems are involved.

On the bottom (under All Trunked Radio Systems)…

HP-1 will get type Project 25 Phase I
HP-2 will get type Project 25 Phase I and Project 25 Phase II

Neither can get systems with "DMR" or "NXDN" in the name.

For those you would need a 436/536/SDS100 (with upgrades).

I have a 396/HP-2 (sold my HP-2 to get it)/436 and SDS100 and one Whistler, TRX-1

The HP-x line is really easy to use and the touch screen is really convenient.

Best of luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The 996P2 does not need a serial port. You can do everything you need, programming as well as any firmware updates, through the mini-USB port on the front panel. You do, however, need to install the serial driver so that you can use the supplied cable. The driver can be found on this Uniden page.

Looking at your counties of interest, using the links posted by Bronty, the public safety agencies in your area are on analog or P25 (digital) frequencies & systems that either the HP-2 or HP-1 can receive. Of the two (I have both), I would recommend the HP-2 as being the later model, and also P25 Phase II capable. You do not have Phase II in your area at this time, but eventually, you might. You are also likely to encounter Phase II if you take your scanner with you and travel to other areas, especially large metro areas.

Note that, even with the HP-2, you still need to install the driver mentioned above. However, the 996P2 also can cover all the current public safety in your area, and can, if desired, be upgraded to also monitor DMR systems if an agency of interest to you moves in that direction at some point.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
HP-1 uses the older power supply wall wart..I think the HP-2 uses the USB to charge and power
That's correct.

The HP-1 comes with an ac (plug in) charger, as well as a 12 volt.

The HP-2 does not come with a charger, but you can use any of the USB power supplies, widely available, that are sold for charging phones and tablets. It will run off of a USB port on your PC, but unless that port can supply a 1.0 amp current (USB standard is half that, 500maH, though some newer PCs have higher rated ports), the HP-2 will not charge and run at the same time. For that to occur, your charger must provide the higher current, as well as be a 'smart' charger that the scanner can recognize.

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
Holy Cow Burp you need to be a 600 IQ to take in all of this information, my brain is already starting to smolder,, I really do not need a scanner with more than say 20 channels as I am quite rural the closet major city is Minneapolis and that is 70 miles away, Burnet County WI. is 30 miles and Chisago County, MN is 10 miles, my only real interest is Sheriff, Fire and Ambulance. The other factor I am looking at is price as I am now on a pension (retired)
If you folks can point me in the right direction I thank you
Jim

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Holy Cow Burp you need to be a 600 IQ to take in all of this information, my brain is already starting to smolder,, I really do not need a scanner with more than say 20 channels as I am quite rural the closet major city is Minneapolis and that is 70 miles away, Burnet County WI. is 30 miles and Chisago County, MN is 10 miles, my only real interest is Sheriff, Fire and Ambulance. The other factor I am looking at is price as I am now on a pension (retired)
If you folks can point me in the right direction I thank you
Jim
If you still have the 996P2, that can do what you are saying you want, as long as it is correctly programmed. What you may want to do is to ask that your post be moved to your state forum, and then ask there if someone in your vicinity can set up a file for you. If you have (or can install) software on your computer (FreeSCAN is available, and as the name implies, is free), then any number of other users could put together a file for you. That would be less costly than buying another scanner, though, of course, if you sold the 996, that would offset it some.

If you were to purchase either an HP-1, (the HP-1 is discontinued, so unless you found a brand new in box from an online source, you'd be getting a used scanner. You would want to be sure that it came with all the components (AC & DC adapters, and the pc cable). The HP-2 is still in production, so new can be found any number of places. The HP-1/-2 have the best display screen, and are easy to use, but you still need to install the Sentinel software on your computer, so that you can get the database up to date.

[FONT=&quot]To have this thread moved, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there. Besides helping get you set up with a working file for your 996P2, you may also be able someone closer to you to assist in getting your computer connectivity correctly established. [/FONT]

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
Well I picked up a used Home Patrol 2 on Ebay for $275.00 and if it works as they say it is supposed to by inputting my zip that will be swell I have to thank all of you for your support and have a very special 4th of July
Jim

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well I picked up a used Home Patrol 2 on Ebay for $275.00 and if it works as they say it is supposed to by inputting my zip that will be swell I have to thank all of you for your support and have a very special 4th of July
Jim
If you have not done so, download Sentinel and install it on your PC. The link is near the top of this page. Down near the bottom of the page is the serial driver, which needs to be installed. However, if you installed the serial driver for your 996P2, you're good to go. Once Sentinel is installed, update the database in the software (click on the Update drop down menu, and select Update Master Database. Once you've done that, set your location in Sentinel and choose a range and service types to monitor. More about how the range setting works can be found here.

There is an Easier to Read manual for the HP-1 & HP-2.
Easier to Read HomePatrol-1/HP-2 Digitall Scanner and Sentinel Manual

wisconsinjimmy

Premium Subscriber
Now that I have this new used HP-2 what type of ext speaker works best, tha audio leaves a lot to be desired although it could be on my end seems to be scratchy.
The other thing I have noticed is the charging I have not figured out if it will charge off the computer or do I need to keep it connected to the cell phone charger.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That depends on your computer. Some computer USB ports only supply 500mA, which isn't enough to run the scanner and charge the batteries.

Cepheid

I have a Home Patrol 1 and connected a Logitech Z213 computer speaker set to it. I think it was $25 at Walmart online. (it even comes with a wired remote control) I only listen in the house so this is not a mobile option but I have been so happy with the results!

Status
Not open for further replies.