MKE Airshow 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Any frequencies known this year? Only found the aerobatics coordination 122.1250 from last year, airboss appears to have moved.

ka9rxk

I sat in the observation lot of the General Mitchell Field on Layton today. I was parked right next to the fence. I could not believe how many people were in the lot as well as on both shoulders of Layton.

The air boss is on 118.200 MHz. I was able to copy the aircraft from my location once they took off from the airport.

At about 3:00 the Blue Angels took off in a formation of 4 aircraft, then one and another one. It was an awesome sight! Later on while driving home to Oak Creek, I saw them flying overhead.

I will be at the lakefront on Sunday with my scanner monitoring 118.200 MHz again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Sounds wonderful! I saw from the lake and even with the 2000ft ceiling things were really fun. I eventually did find the airboss, and the aerobatics frequency still worked for the coordinated acts.

There doesn’t appear to be a livestream of the announcer this year, which is a shame. Last year it was simulcast online so you could get the full narration if you weren’t at show center.

ka9rxk

Due to the low cloud ceiling today, the Air Show's start was delayed for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Once it did start, it ended after only 4 aircraft went by because the cloud ceiling had dropped. 118.200 MHz was in use again from the Air Boss to the pilots.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Was really too bad. FWIW, the Thunderbirds have Milwaukee on the schedule for next year already for July 27-28: Show Season | U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds

If you're monitoring multiple frequencies, MKE Tower 124.575 had a bit of the back-and-forth as the Thunderbirds checked out the airspace weather.

Summary for next year:

118.200 - 2018 airboss
122.125 - 2018 Show discrete (Acrobatics coordination)
124.575 - Tower - Thunderbirds heard here getting clearance and weather reports

Status
Not open for further replies.