27.575 and 27.585 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

No - but per my spectrum chart 27.53 - 28.00 is allocated to "Meteorological Aids". I am assuming thats for weather sensing and other weather related stuff.

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
Gilligan said:
Has anyone ever monitored anything other than freeband cbers on 27.575 and 27.585 MHz?

Are you hearing chicken banders on those freqs? If you do make sure it isn't close proximity to a modified cb like from ch6 anotherwords check the cb freqs at the same time if you can and see if they're the same. Other than cb I never have heard anything on my scanner in H.F.. I havn't listened to my base H.F. Transciever for a while maybe I'll check it out for the heck of it...

Armouredsaint

I haven't heard much on the "free band" freqs in the while since the solar cycle has bottomed out. 27.555usb is the unofficial illegal free band calling freq. You really need a modified cb or hf transceiver with a good 11-10m antenna to hear anything. I guess as the cycle improves in years to come, south and central americans will be all over those frequencies again.

johnvassel

Used to be quite a nice group of fellows from the southern louisana area on 27.875. Group that formed after Hurricane Andrew, when they were one of the few modes of communication available.
27.630 Used to be popular near detroit too. (the odd offset seemed to be to keep the modified cb's at bay)

John
(HA 102)

Alot of West Indies stations hang out on 27.515lsb. 27.475lsb has alot of traffic on it when the band is open. Alot of Europens and Aussies and Kiwis like to use the even numbered frequencies around 27.555, ie 27.560, 570, 580, etc USB and LSB. Sort of a gentlemen's agreement that English speakers stay below 27.650 and Spanish and Portugese speakers are above 27.650. Also, English speakers are more prevalent on LSB, while Spanish are on USB.

Those are all generalities, you never know who might pop up where.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The bottom line is all you'll hear are illegal chicken banders regardless of where they're transmitting from. FYI legal, properly licensed by Ofcom 11M CB in the UK is FM. Please don't try to con me, 11M CB in the UK and down under died a horrible death like it did in the US shortly after it became legal and for the same reason, morons. It's alive and well on UHF where it's always been however and that's "official" from one in the know. When you assume, well, you know what happens.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
Okay, so now with all these replies, I suppose I could mention that I haven't actually monitored anything on these frequencies. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever actually monitored any federal comms on these channels? I wonder what kind of radios they would use. Maybe even some input from "back in the day" when feds used VHF more often.

rcvmo

"back in the day" or Many Moons ago.
Oh don't get me started.
I'll bet a a vennison dinner every single one of us here on this site at one time had a modified CB or Ham radio.
Like man himself, the temptation and resource was always there.
We all had to start someplace in our childhood.
rcvmo

Gilligan said:
Okay, so now with all these replies, I suppose I could mention that I haven't actually monitored anything on these frequencies. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever actually monitored any federal comms on these channels? I wonder what kind of radios they would use. Maybe even some input from "back in the day" when feds used VHF more often.

I've heard some digital modes on there that might very well have been the legitimate licensed agencies.

PopComm had an article back in the early 90s about how 27.490 FM was an itinerant business channel still used occasionally by commercial river barges on inland waterways. But that was quite a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.