Software and programing cable for 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I have been monitoring Charlotte/Meck trunked system for years using a BC895XLT. I am thinking of upgrading to a 996T to include VIPER in my monitoring. What software are folks around here using with digital scanners? I have done some research in these forums, but cannot discern what might be a favorite program to use.

Also, I will need to use a USB cable. Anyone have any experience with USB vs serial?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Check out the BCD996T wiki (and a search of the threads in this forum) for software options (and opinions). Every package seems to have its proponents (and detractors). AFAIK all the various packages have functional demo periods so you can try them out and decide for yourself which one will do for you.

Uniden sells a USB-1 cable that provides USB connectivity. There are also aftermarket USB-RS232 adapters that will work (but are not supported by Uniden). Just make sure you have the latest drivers for the specific converter you get and you'll likely have no problem. Again, do a search in this forum for more specific comments (this has come up quite often).

bonus1331

Hamstang,
There are only a few talkgroups that are digital that are on the VIPER system.
Truthfully, I find VIPER monitoring here in Charlotte to be very slow. Pretty much all Highway Patrol except for race weeks.
The only other digital currently in the areas is the York SC TRS and the Mooresville TRS.
If you are looking to upgrade and primarily listen to the Charmeck TRS, I would highly recommend a Uniden BCT-15 for a base unit. No digital but lots of great features with a huge cost saving compared to the 996 or 396.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
bonus1331 thanks for the reply and recommendation. I have a 996 and usb cable on the way from Scanner Master. It's true, I am primarily interested in Charlotte/ Meck TRS and Union Co monitoring, but I think there will be more digital broadcasts in the area as time goes on. I have been monitoring public safety since the mid 1960's and know that one can never have too many scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.