digital scanners for dummies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio_earbug

Hello,

I'm totally new to trunk systems and Digital scanners. Are there any videos or books out there that would help me understand how to use my new PRO-197. I see the letters PRO is in the model name so I am not yet qualified to use this thing. I live in Orange County, CA and seem to have trouble picking up digital broadcasts. I suspect that the broadcasts are encrypted. The other day I picked up a signal via scanning and it was P25, but the audio sounded garbled. I suspect I am too far from the window and I sandwiched between two over passes.

I had to upgrade from my PRO-2016; which when living in Ventura County, it was quite enjoyable. Thank you Radio Shack. Now if they can start putting their name back on those Sangean radios, I would be in sweet home Radio-wave city.

yMidnite

I would like to help you but I am not familiar with your area. You might try posting in the area specific for th encryption question.
As for the trunking there is tons of info in the forum and the wiki, here is a link to the trunking basics:
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki
As for books or videos - there is a book called Two-Way Radios & Scanners For Dummies

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Almost every channel on the Orange County California system which is digital is also encrypted and can not be monitored. Period. System policy is that Law Enforcement = Encrypted. There are one or two digital unencrypted channels, so noted on the system info in the database here.

The fire channels on that system are, so far, analog and unencrypted, and can be listened to.

Orange, County of (CCCS - Public Safety) Trunking System, Orange County, California - Scanner Frequencies

If the 'mode' on that list is 'E', it's encrypted, and you will never, ever, be able to montor it.

If it's 'D', it's digital, but not encrypted, and can be monitored on a digital scanner.

If it's 'A', it's analog, and can be monitored on an analog scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually anything marked 'A' can be monitored on either a digital or analog scanner - just to set the record straight

best regards..Mike

Mike_G_D

As stated - most law enforcement activity on the Orange County system is encrypted but fire is not. Still, alot can be monitored.

Till you get a better feel for programming the scanner yourself you can try my WIN500 files which I'll attached in zipped format with this post. I live in San Diego County but occasionally monitor the surrounding areas including Orange County so I have files for outside areas as well. The names of the files should be self-explanatory for the most part. If you don't have WIN500 I highly suggest it. You can get a 30 day free trial (fully operational) which will work fine with my files contained in the zipped file (unzip first, of course). You need the programming cable from Radio Shack (or GRE) also, of course. The program is available here: http://www.starrsoft.com/. The cable is this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4233363.

Also, read the README file in my zipped folder as it explains how I arrange things so that it makes more sense to you. Of course, once you are more familiar with programming the scanner yourself you can modify the files to your liking.

-Mike

Attachments

• Mike_G_D_WIN500_SDCounty_Plus_Files.zip
    166.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

radio_earbug

RE: scanner for dummies

Thank you all for the posts. I was getting nervous for a while because I thought I bought a boat anchor. I now feel a little less intimidated by knowing the reason that I can't hear much on my radio in certain bands is because of the actual transmissions and not my un-PRO-abilities. Can't wait till tomorrow to spark my radio up again. It will be the reason why I purchased the PRO-197 radio, it's my birthday gift to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.