Whistler WS1040 good choice for an affordable digital scanner?

Not planning on buying another scanner anytime soon, but I was curious as to if the Whistler WS1040 is a worthy upgrade from my Radioshack Pro-164?
If not, are there any affordable digital scanners that would be considered an upgrade from the Pro-164?
I do notice that from the photos on the page, the casing of the WS1040 looks similar, if not exactly the same to my Pro-164. The only difference is the key layout.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not planning on buying another scanner anytime soon, but I was curious as to if the Whistler WS1040 is a worthy upgrade from my Radioshack Pro-164?

Not for you, because the system you mentioned (in another thread) you want to listen to is P25 Phase 2 which this scanner will not handle. Check the below link for more information...

If this is for home use you might want to look into using a SDR and software like DSD+ FL

Not for you, because the system you mentioned (in another thread) you want to listen to is P25 Phase 2 which this scanner will not handle. Check the below link for more information...

If this is for home use you might want to look into using a SDR and software like DSD+ FL
I prefer handhelds so I can take it on the go with me.
Will any of the scanners mentioned in the link manage to pick up a majority of the trunked systems in use today?
I wish I could afford an SDS100 or other digital scanner, but alas, I just cannot afford one.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Will any of the scanners mentioned in the link manage to pick up a majority of the trunked systems in use today?
These scanners will do P25 Phase 1 & 2, some (Uniden) require paid upgrades for DMR and NXDN, some (Whistlers) will handle NXDN and DMR but not true tracking of trunked systems.
However, the only scanners designed for simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS scanners, others may or may not work, it depends mainly on location.

These scanners will do P25 Phase 1 & 2, some (Uniden) require paid upgrades for DMR and NXDN, some (Whistlers) will handle NXDN and DMR but not true tracking of trunked systems.
Have my eyes on the one above.
Goes for $343 on Amazon vs. $449 on the uniden website.
I realize I mentioned that it will be a while before I get another scanner, but is there a way to tell if the scanner will need to be upgraded for DMR/NXDN just so I can factor that into the cost of the scanner?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Have my eyes on the one above.
Goes for $343 on Amazon vs. $449 on the uniden website.
I realize I mentioned that it will be a while before I get another scanner, but is there a way to tell if the scanner will need to be upgraded for DMR/NXDN just so I can factor that into the cost of the scanner?

Yes there are a number of websites, including Uniden and Scanner Masters where you can find the information. Google is your friend and you should do your research before buying.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD325P2 comes with P25 Phase 1 & 2. For DMR and NXDN you will need to purchase the upgrades. It is less expensive if you install the upgrades yourself rather than have a dealer do it.

Last edited:
Yes there are a number of websites, including Uniden and Scanner Masters where you can find the information. Google is your friend and you should do your research before buying.
Now that I have been steered in the right direction, I can do more research on my own.
The BCD325P2 comes with P25 Phase 1 & 2. For DMR and NXDN you will need to purchase the upgrades. It is less expensive if you install the upgrades yourself rather than have a dealer do it.
Will have to remember that in the future.

Thanks to all for the repl8es.