Looking to purchase this today but I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocop80

I am thinking about going to radio shack and purchasing the following antenna: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641&tab=custRatings#ReviewHeader

I mainly listen to freq in the 400 - 500 mhz range and I wanted something that will increse the range a little more on my scanner. I am on the first floor and I live in a condo and can't have anything on the roof. I was wondering if I can use this antenna in the house and you think it will be an improvement over the stock antenna that came with my bcd396t?

My biggest question is can I set this up inside my house and what will I need. Can I just take out the package and hook it up to my scanner in my house.

Thanks

James

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I am thinking about going to radio shack and purchasing the following antenna: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641&tab=custRatings#ReviewHeader

I mainly listen to freq in the 400 - h00 mhz range and I wanted something that will increse the range a little more on my scanner. I am on the first floor and I live in a condo and can't have anything on the roof. I was wondering if I can use this antenna in the house and you think it will be an improvement over the stock antenna that came with my bcd396t?

My biggest question is can I set this up inside my house and what will I need. Can I just take out the package and hook it up to my scanner in my house.

Thanks

James

you can do what i did when i lived in an apt is use an xtra camera tripod and pvc or some other pipe for the mast and attach it to the tripod with hose clamps. you would have to use a piece of wood duck taped to the the tripod so the pipe would clear the top part of the tripod so you don' t have to cut the top off to make it fit.

and don't forget the cable. I would get cable from another source than RS since RS's cable isn't the best.

K

kb0nly

That antenna is so-so... I have one outside on the tower at 32ft and it does "ok" for local stuff. If you got other options consider them first though.

Even one of those Rat Shack mobile mag mount scanner antenna's stuck onto something metal like a file cabinet works better if your going to be using it indoors.

donc13

Premium Subscriber

I mainly listen to freq in the 400 - 500 mhz range and I wanted something that will increse the range a little more on my scanner. I am on the first floor and I live in a condo and can't have anything on the roof. I was wondering if I can use this antenna in the house and you think it will be an improvement over the stock antenna that came with my bcd396t?

Thanks

James

Certainly you can put it inside your condo. But realize you will be limiting where you can take your 396. because it'll have to be tethered to the antenna.

You'd probably do just as good with this (it's $30, near to the price for the RS):

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT22.html

It's not "pretty" but all the reports I've heard have been good. I have NOT tried one, so can not comment on it from personal experience.

For portable use, I've got one just like this:

http://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_2_5db_Gain_Antenex_Prof_Port_Antenna_p/14-540714.htm

They work best at 800MHz, but do a good job on the entire scanner range.

Last edited:

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I have a 20-176 (Sputnik) in my attic and it works WAY better than any portable antenna I tried. Mine is connected with old Cable-TV RG-6 and it's in an old telescope tripod in my attic. I've since moved several antenna outside, but I still have the old Sputnik in the attic for stormy nights.

I don't have any metal roofing or foil insulation in the attic to block it.

MOTOROLANUT

antenna

Do yourself a favor spend around $100.00 on a nice diamond discone, I have had three in my attic for over 15 years, monitored alot of UHF and VHF Hi and Lo, and a little 800. Ya buy cheap... you get cheap results, its the same with any hobby......

ERICMYERS

Maybe it's a little ghetto, and there's a thousand ways I could do better, but I use a 20-176 on a camera tripod indoors and I get everything I want to hear very well, to about 50 miles. At 25 miles and up, it's a huge improvement over back of the set antennas, under 25 miles no real benefit. Over 50 miles, I'd need to go outside and up with a better antenna. The mag mount on a pizza pan or file cabinet works OK too, but the sputnik is better. The thing is only $25 bucks...you will need coax that could be used again on another antenna later, so the net cash at risk is $25. I fail to see how you can go wrong at that price point and with the convenience of picking it up at a local store.

Status
Not open for further replies.