BCD396XT/BCD996XT: New Scanner do not know how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher14

Premium Subscriber
I am new to the Digital Scanner. I just got the Uniden Bearcat BCD996 XT for my birthday. I tried to program it myself but i can not get it to scan or pick up the channels I put in. I downloaded the FreeScan software and bought into the radio reference to get access to the freq banks that are already in. I loaded the county I am in and uploaded it to the scanner and that is as far as I got. I cant figure out the missing step to get it working properly. I am getting the message "ID Search" when I hit scan and "Finding CtrlChan"

Would appreciate any help if anyone has the time. I am new so if you take the time to answer please dumb down your explanations a little bit. Thanks

Chris

phask

Premium Subscriber
That means that system either has no sites or no sites you can physically receive.

Barring no other issue.

kibler

Feed Provider
I am new to the Digital Scanner. I just got the Uniden Bearcat BCD996 XT for my birthday. I tried to program it myself but i can not get it to scan or pick up the channels I put in. I downloaded the FreeScan software and bought into the radio reference to get access to the freq banks that are already in. I loaded the county I am in and uploaded it to the scanner and that is as far as I got. I cant figure out the missing step to get it working properly. I am getting the message "ID Search" when I hit scan and "Finding CtrlChan"

Would appreciate any help if anyone has the time. I am new so if you take the time to answer please dumb down your explanations a little bit. Thanks

Chris
topher.............Which systems or departments are you trying to get? Cities or County and State! Are you trying to program Conventional or Digital P25?

Blackink

What am I missing here?!?

topher...........I sent you a PM!

Why does there have to be PM's sent if this is a public forum where everyone can learn from the suggestions and helpful tips presented here in these forums by others?

UPMan mentioned a similar thing in another thread, why make the recommended suggestion and/or fix a PM so no one else can view what was offered for help?

How are other folks reading these public forums going to learn how to fix their problems if they can't read the possible fix?

What am I missing here? I'm sure there's a viable explanation.

Please enlighten me :)

topher14

Premium Subscriber
Hi topher..............I would like to try and help you if i can! I am no expert, but I did learn a little from a friend on this forum! Thanks Ray

PS: It would be better if I could send you some E-mails!

Hi topher............First off where do you live? What are you trying to get? Ray

CONVENTIONAL is the good old way radio worked, one freq with everybody. they still are out there and you have to set them up as conventional.
TRUNKED has a couple of flavors and have to be set up right, motorola uses a control channel to tell the radios what freq to go to to hear their talkgroup. if the radio can not hear the control channel it will say "searching for control channel" but if you set up a regular system as trunking it will never find the control channel.
a quick way to look for the control channel is to hit the hold button,type in the frequency, and hit hold again.
try that with all the red and blue freqs in the database, one at a time until you hear what wounds like a diesel truck on high. oh also it is a way to hear any freq real quick. to see it in use try it with a known weather channel. also it is not saved or anything, so hitting hold you can do it again.
todd

I live in Tucson AZ and I am trying to get Pima county. Mainly Tucson fire and Tucson police. Also the sheriffs (PCSD)

Hello.....Let me do some looking at the database and I'll get back with you! Ray

Hello topher.........I am so sorry your radio BCD996xt will only do Project 25 Phase I! Tucson has switched over to Phase II and looks like a NO GO! I hate giving you this news! Let me do some more looking and I don't want to give you some bad information! I see that your area has only very limited Law & FIre departments that can be programed as Conventional! Sorry about that! Ray.........I will hollar back to you!

Well dang it. Is that something that could be a update to this scanner in the future is this scanner not able to get that technology? Thanks for looking into that for me also!

Hello topher......No this Scanner will do a lot of stuff, except Phase II! The latest scanners, Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP and the Hadheld radio will get Phase II but they really cost $$$? Please get back on the Forum and get a second opinion about Tucson and Phase II! Like I said I wouldn't give you bad information on purpose! Again, Sorry about that! and maybe you can trade up and get a different radio! Thanks again Ray

Here is what you missed..

kibler

Feed Provider
Why don't you ask the Admin.?

Why does there have to be PM's sent if this is a public forum where everyone can learn from the suggestions and helpful tips presented here in these forums by others?

UPMan mentioned a similar thing in another thread, why make the recommended suggestion and/or fix a PM so no one else can view what was offered for help?

How are other folks reading these public forums going to learn how to fix their problems if they can't read the possible fix?

What am I missing here? I'm sure there's a viable explanation.

Please enlighten me :)
Why don't you ask the Admin.? This Forum is run by them! If they want us to use a button that is called "Private Messages" that is there business! I'm thinking I wanted to send a Private message and use it! Any further discussion about this post is useless! Have a good day?

Last edited:

Voyager

I am getting the message "ID Search" when I hit scan and "Finding CtrlChan"

If you are seeing ID SEARCH, your scanner is seeing the control channel and is going to let you hear anything you don't specifically have locked out.

On the "Finding CtrlChan", that system or site is out of range.

smatk

Little confused

I am trying to follow this - I see Topher14 and Topher and I see Ray and Chris -

so I guess Topher14 is Chris and Topher is Ray?

Ray sounds like you know the 996XT - thinking you can help me out programming. I got my working with downloads through radio reference but want to limit and get tone outs programming for fire. My email is ray.kelly@outlook.com

Hi topher..............I would like to try and help you if i can! I am no expert, but I did learn a little from a friend on this forum! Thanks Ray

PS: It would be better if I could send you some E-mails!

Hi topher............First off where do you live? What are you trying to get? Ray

CONVENTIONAL is the good old way radio worked, one freq with everybody. they still are out there and you have to set them up as conventional.
TRUNKED has a couple of flavors and have to be set up right, motorola uses a control channel to tell the radios what freq to go to to hear their talkgroup. if the radio can not hear the control channel it will say "searching for control channel" but if you set up a regular system as trunking it will never find the control channel.
a quick way to look for the control channel is to hit the hold button,type in the frequency, and hit hold again.
try that with all the red and blue freqs in the database, one at a time until you hear what wounds like a diesel truck on high. oh also it is a way to hear any freq real quick. to see it in use try it with a known weather channel. also it is not saved or anything, so hitting hold you can do it again.
todd

I live in Tucson AZ and I am trying to get Pima county. Mainly Tucson fire and Tucson police. Also the sheriffs (PCSD)

Hello.....Let me do some looking at the database and I'll get back with you! Ray

Hello topher.........I am so sorry your radio BCD996xt will only do Project 25 Phase I! Tucson has switched over to Phase II and looks like a NO GO! I hate giving you this news! Let me do some more looking and I don't want to give you some bad information! I see that your area has only very limited Law & FIre departments that can be programed as Conventional! Sorry about that! Ray.........I will hollar back to you!

Well dang it. Is that something that could be a update to this scanner in the future is this scanner not able to get that technology? Thanks for looking into that for me also!

Hello topher......No this Scanner will do a lot of stuff, except Phase II! The latest scanners, Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP and the Hadheld radio will get Phase II but they really cost $$$? Please get back on the Forum and get a second opinion about Tucson and Phase II! Like I said I wouldn't give you bad information on purpose! Again, Sorry about that! and maybe you can trade up and get a different radio! Thanks again Ray

Here is what you missed..

kibler

Feed Provider
Little confused

Hello smatk..........I am Ray!!..You have mail! Ray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.