why cant u get help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldw3210

Hello there
Ive contacted all the local clubs and club members i could locate, And get no help from anyone!!

Just a couple questions on station setup and such but noone seems too want too help, I thought that Amateur radio was all about helping each other and promoting good will around the world.??

that doesnt seem to be the case, Now i see a lot of help here on this foum a lot of info and discussion, questions seem too get answered, but i dont understand the clubs being so closed up?

ok discuss

royldean

Well, HOW you ask is a big part of the concern. If you just demand help from a club, you are going to get a cold shoulder. If you JOIN the club, and PARTICIPATE in meetings and activities, then I think you will see a far better response. While you are here, why don't you ask about your problems now?

geraldw3210

Well i do introduce myself and ask if i could please get a little help with my issues, nothing nasty or demanding, And i guess i should have known it is pay too play.

always about the money

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Most clubs are leery of new guys. Take the time to show them you're in it for the right reasons, befriend people, attend club events, start small and work up to the big stuff.

You can always ask here and see what answers you get, there are plenty of hams, with literal decades of combined experience. If you can't find the answer here, chances are it never happened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most clubs are leery of new guys. Take the time to show them you're in it for the right reasons, befriend people

Lolz..seriously, what is this Game Of Thrones..

This..This is the reason people are steered away from getting their lic..Like one has to Kiss the Ring of the Plumpest Ham stressing the Smallest deskchair in the shack..

If the OP has a ticket,,that should buy admission to the peep show...

but what do I know..Im a Pirate....Arrggggggggggggg-Buzz-Zap...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Lolz..seriously, what is this Game Of Thrones..

This..This is the reason people are steered away from getting their lic..Like one has to Kiss the Ring of the Plumpest Ham stressing the Smallest deskchair in the shack..

If the OP has a ticket,,that should buy admission to the peep show...

but what do I know..Im a Pirate....Arrggggggggggggg-Buzz-Zap...
Oh, I agree, that's why I avoid clubs completely.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Its a hobby....if you can't get help from the club guys, then get it from here....or another site or use a database and find a ham near you, make a direct phone call and see if you can get help. I too don't have much use for clubs, but that is because of my schedule of travel for work. Nothing worse than volunteering and then calling and cancelling.

geraldw3210

Most clubs are leery of new guys. Take the time to show them you're in it for the right reasons, befriend people, attend club events, start small and work up to the big stuff.

You can always ask here and see what answers you get, there are plenty of hams, with literal decades of combined experience. If you can't find the answer here, chances are it never happened.

Hi i have been too meetings and fielddays with these clubs, still cant get help when contacting them or members.

KK4TTR

That certainly hasn't been the case in my area. If I even mention a problem on the local repeater, I can't get anyone to shut up trying to help. Numerous people have gone out of their way to individually help me. Our local clubs are especially generous helping people who are disabled get on the air.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Hi i have been too meetings and fielddays with these clubs, still cant get help when contacting them or members.

"Pay to play" and "Kiss the ring" are not typical broad strokes for the ham community. Yes, there are pockets like that and it seems you have fallen into one.

Don't give up!

Ask your questions here and Google can help too. Whatever questions you have are not the first time they have been asked. Likely an FAQ out there somewhere with what you are asking. :D

Good Luck,
Mike, KE5MC

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
My own local club seems to be deeply wrapped up in ARES/RACES without a real need for that where we are. To their credit, they do show up for work parties at various member's homes, but some of that is based on close friendships that have developed over the years. Let's face it, that happens everywhere and sometimes it seems hard to be accepted to that degree. The club also hosts monthly VEC testing, but not much in the way of classes. And they're hooked up with a local school for balloon releases.

I do not live close enough to their repeaters to make use of them on a daily basis so it's not easy getting to know the active members better. The same goes for meetings. I have other obligations and can't always be at the monthly meeting or their bi-weekly breakfast gatherings.

But lately, my emails and Facebook messages have gone unanswered. It's tough to maintain a level of interest when that happens.

FWIW, I get much better tech assistance here and on the batboard. These two forums are a much bigger pool of good folks willing to speak up and offer help or opinions. 99.9% of the responses are always helpful in some way.

edweirdFL

I feel your pain. The club local to me has a very cliquish feel to it and seems very ARES and NTS focused. It seems like a lot of the membership participates for social reasons primarily.

I have made the most beneficial contacts by attending a weekly gathering where a number of local amateurs meet in parks and operate QRP using battery power and temporary antennas for a couple of hours.

You might try to find such an outing where people are using radios face to face in your area to do some "networking".

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber

I see others have posted good information and assistance.:)

When you get to JT65, JT9 and FT8 digital modes you will have to address your computer's system clock at the seconds level. Transmission start on the minute or quarter minute depending on mode. There are 3rd party background process to replace the built-in one. Less than +/- 2 seconds is the objective. Typical for the built-in ones not getting the job done.

Just something for later once you start making contacts.

Good Luck,
Mike, KE5MC

geraldw3210

I see others have posted good information and assistance.:)

When you get to JT65, JT9 and FT8 digital modes you will have to address your computer's system clock at the seconds level. Transmission start on the minute or quarter minute depending on mode. There are 3rd party background process to replace the built-in one. Less than +/- 2 seconds is the objective. Typical for the built-in ones not getting the job done.

Just something for later once you start making contacts.

Good Luck,
Mike, KE5MC

You know i was just listening too some good strong didital signals thru fldigi but i had no idea what they were i got strings of characters , but didnt know what mode too select. shame cause it was good srtong signals . i need more info on these modes and how too distinguish them.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
"Pay to play" and "Kiss the ring" are not typical broad strokes for the ham community.

My local club has decided to give me another year as Vice-President, which frankly is a mixed blessing. You see, one of my major responsibilities is arranging for a monthly presentation on some topic of interest. That means I have to locate and persuade some person to make a 20 minute presentation at least eleven times during the year.

My problem? Despite having lived in NW Indiana for about 27 years, I'm still "not from around here," meaning I don't have the decades of contacts that previous VPs have had. :roll:

As far as "Pay to Play" though, we've got that covered! Any newly licensed or upgraded hams get a free year's membership. Any ham new to the area likewise receives a first year free membership.

Annual dues thereafter is a very modest $20. ;)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
You know i was just listening too some good strong didital signals thru fldigi but i had no idea what they were i got strings of characters , but didnt know what mode too select. shame cause it was good srtong signals . i need more info on these modes and how too distinguish them.
What freq? On 20 14.070 is normally psk, 14.074 is JT-65.

We might help narrow down what more knowing where you were tuned.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
To make your first recognition of digital signals you will need to use a tool that nearly every ham has available: your ears. When you're not yet running the specialized software or looking at a waterfall display of the spectrum.... your ears rule.
So what do the most popular modes sound like when you first tune them in? In a moment I'll direct you to websites to hear each of them. But to address the most popular mode first, a word about FT8 is in order. And for those reading who don't believe it's the most popular, please tune your receivers (or better yet get the software and try it) to any of the following FT8 frequencies. FT8 domination of HF digital modes is absolute, and resistance is futile. One video poster on QRZ.com says it has turned HF digital into "zombie land". I promise that if you tune these frequencies anytime of day or night (and have a working antenna) you WILL hear FT8 on one or more of them. Likely hundreds of stations calling and in QSOs. It roars like a giant for 15 secs, then takes a a deep breath for about a second... .and roars again for another 15 seconds. Then rinse and repeat.... But... here are the freqs:
Band MHz
————-
160 1.841
80 3.579
40 7.079
30 10.141
20 14.079
17 18.105
15 21.079
12 24.920
10 28.079
6 50.313
... and this is what you're going to hear (FT8 - and I chose this among the hundreds of YouTube clips because it is one of the very few that IMMEDIATELY gives you the sound of FT8) -
https://youtu.be/bwHrq7hnXxw
There is another great website to hear the other digital modes that were once very popular (PSK and Olivia among them). Unfortunately, the author hasn't yet added an FT8 soundbyte. BUT you will find easily played sound samples of PSK and Olivia among them here -
WB8NUT - Digital Modes Information Page
So... now you are ready to make good use of the "early identification system" for a few of the digital modes: Your Ears.

geraldw3210

What freq? On 20 14.070 is normally psk, 14.074 is JT-65.

We might help narrow down what more knowing where you were tuned.

hello there ok im at 14.070 lots of characters i went too multi character psk wow speed went up soo fast it filling screen in seconds but still just charaacters. should i be able too read this stuff?

geraldw3210

Hi again i run linux need too find a program for linux for ft-8. and i think i need too setup my radio for digital also ill need oo go thru the manual and adjust some settings.

ok lots of stuff here folks give me a few days too work thru it and well see how i make out

thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.