BCD436HP/BCD536HP: NXDN Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

I am having difficulty with putting NXDN into my 436HP. I have already loaded DMR & PV in the past, but for some reason this did not work.

I bought the NXDN key. It is showing up on my purchase list. I have two 436HP units with upgrade histories.

I successfully loaded the latest firmware which, I am assuming, has the download package for the radio.

When I go to the menu, and enter the NXDN key, it shows "processing", but then it says it did not work.

Did I do something wrong?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Did you enter all 27 characters, uncluding the dashes? Are you entering the right key in each scanner? Keys are based on the scanner serial number, and can't be used in any other unit.

Ensnared

10-4

Did you enter all 27 characters, uncluding the dashes? Are you entering the right key in each scanner? Keys are based on the scanner serial number, and can't be used in any other unit.

I entered all of the characters, including the dashes. Yes, I was aware of the unique serial number for firmware updates.

I don't really know what firmware involves. I do know there are certain radio parameters that are sometimes adjusted, improved, etc. Hence, I don't understand if the software download for NXDN was embedded in the firmware or whether I need to download something else.

Whatever happend, Uniden assigned me a case number, but they have yet to write me back.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I entered all of the characters, including the dashes. Yes, I was aware of the unique serial number for firmware updates.

I don't really know what firmware involves. I do know there are certain radio parameters that are sometimes adjusted, improved, etc. Hence, I don't understand if the software download for NXDN was embedded in the firmware or whether I need to download something else.

Whatever happend, Uniden assigned me a case number, but they have yet to write me back.

My 1st 536 went fine the 2nd one said the key was incorrect. I had to reenter the KEY verifying each character and it worked.

Ensnared

Better Half

My 1st 536 went fine the 2nd one said the key was incorrect. I had to reenter the KEY verifying each character and it worked.

How do you verify each character?

I just finished attempting to enter the key once again since I am horribly dyslexic. But, my wife read me the key while I repeated. We didn't make any errors. I first thought I was mistaking a O for a 0, but the letters don't go that high.

Oh well, I will wait on Uniden to respond.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Assuming the ESN/key entered was correct, there is only one possible key. When CS gets the case on Monday, they are going to ask me to verify it...which is a waste of (my) time, as the key generated is always going to be identical to the one I generate manually.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I just reconfirmed that the scanner w/ESN ending 2175 got the correct key. That is the only one you've bought a key for, so was easy to identify.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I first thought I was mistaking a O for a 0, but the letters don't go that high.
No way can you enter in a "O" or any other alpha characters. Only numeric, hex, and dash char are the choices.

If you have a menu item "Upgrade NXDN" then you have the firmware and nothing else needs to be downloaded. MAKE SURE you are at "Upgrade NXDN" and not "Upgrade ProVoice" or "Upgrade DMR/MotoTRBO"

Voyager

No way can you enter in a "O" or any other alpha characters. Only numeric, hex, and dash char are the choices.

Technically, only hexidecimal and dash. Hexidecimal includes numeric/decimal. :D

Ensnared says he has two 436s. UPMan said he purchased one key. Wanna bet he is entering it on the wrong unit? (a key must be purchased for each unit)

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Firmware / NXDN Key Problem

You first have to UPDATE the FIRMWARE thru Sentinel, Then once you have the latest Firmware, You should be able to enter the NXDN Key.

Voyager

True, but if he is entering the key it is likely he is using the NXDN option to enter it which only appears in the latest version. My money is on the bet he is using the key for his other scanner. (it only works on one)

Ensnared

Woops

I just reconfirmed that the scanner w/ESN ending 2175 got the correct key. That is the only one you've bought a key for, so was easy to identify.

After racking my brain, I think I know I screwed up. It happened in the registration process. I attempted to enter the ESN code and sum, but it would not take it. Somehow, I bought the key using the other radio.

Now, I suppose I am going to be forced to upgrade both since the other one is destined for internal clock repair. I will upgrade it and then try to send it in. My cancer scare derailed that effort.

I am sorry that you had to be bothered by such small matters.

Thanks.

Voyager

On the bright side, you will be able to use either scanner to scan NXDN.

Ensnared

Crystal Ball

Well, you were spot-on buddy. Yes, one does not need to attempt this on codeine after a root canal. Truthfully, this was one day I attempted to figure things out.

For some reason, I must have experienced a download seizure when I looked at the dead bodies of things I've attempted to download on my Uniden page.

My main error occurred when I took the older scanner, one with internal clock problems, and attempted to load the key I already purchased. I did so on the wrong row. I assumed that Sentinel accepted the new firmware upgrade and all I needed to do was shoot it into the radio.

Then, a light came on in my head. I hooked it up again and waited until I saw the ESN in Sentinel. Once I upgraded the firmware for the older scanner, the key went into the radio like a charm. I repeated the process for my newer 436HP. All is well.

Thanks for all that helped this moron fix his main squeeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.