RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 1:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, I might as well not have a radio at all today in NC, because the bands are lousy. Nevertheless, I just updated my radio and here's my impression so far:

I'm quite happy! One of my biggest gripes, restricted audio quality, has been much improved. It's much more enjoyable to listen to broadcasting through an external speaker now, and even the internal speaker sounds better. I could ask for still more low end audio, but overall the improvement is very nice. Just a bit more, please? I think this could be a hi-fi broadcast listener.
FM broadcast works fine, all my local stations on just a telescopic whip and the audio quality is okay.
The lockup I experienced when tuning the radio in memory mode seems to be gone now.
There is still a fair amount of difference in audio volume between weak and strong stations, so a bit more work on the AGC would be appreciated. I'll check out the bands tonight when I have some better conditions to see how it goes with the dreaded 49m broadcast band.

Still hoping to see squelch working on HF, and scanning with pause on channel activity.

Thanks, Don; your efforts are noticeable and appreciated. I am taking the radio to our next club meeting to show it off and see if I can get some purchasing interest going!

A note about Dropbox; when I right-clicked on the file and told it to save, I still got a half-size file with the right file name that might have killed the radio again, so the second time I told Dropbox to put a copy in my Dropbox account, and that worked fine. Now I know to at least verify my file sizes before I update, but a newbie could still make the same mistake I made the first time.

-john
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2013, 6:19 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We had the remnants of a class M6.5 solar flare give us a glancing blow to the ionosphere today, so HF conditions over the next couple of days are going to be dicey at best.

Mike
Old 04-13-2013, 8:59 PM

Default Very happy with the CR-1

About a month ago I purchased the CR-1 (serial #35) and have enjoyed reading the comments on this board. I could not be more pleased with this receiver. My primary interest is shortwave. With a minimal wire outside, I'm impressed with the sensitivity of the radio. The audio is much improved with the recent software upgrades. Enjoying listening to classical music on Radio Romania International right now. It is fun watching the receiver evolve/improve with the upgrades and the portability will allow me to bring the receiver to our cabin. I probably have listened more to shortwave since getting the receiver than the previous ten years. Congratulations, Don!
Old 04-14-2013, 3:17 PM

The improved sound is nice!
Old 04-15-2013, 9:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just caught up with the latest software for the CR-1 (1685). The receiver is getting better and better, shaping up quite nice. The issues I've encountered in past releases seem to have been improved or completely fixed.

The biggest oddity I encountered this time was an asymmetry in the AM filter response. For example, tuning to WWV on 10 MHz I could hear a tiny bit of the signal on 9.995, but it sounded almost normal on 10.005. It could either be that on AM the center frequency is offset to like 10.002 , or the filter is not centered on the desired frequency. I didn't notice this issue on CW or SSB.

Steve

sbjohnston@aol.com
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=sbjohnston;1953340]I just caught up with the latest software for the CR-1 (1685). The receiver is getting better and better, shaping up quite nice. The issues I've encountered in past releases seem to have been improved or completely fixed.

The biggest oddity I encountered this time was an asymmetry in the AM filter response. For example, tuning to WWV on 10 MHz I could hear a tiny bit of the signal on 9.995, but it sounded almost normal on 10.005. It could either be that on AM the center frequency is offset to like 10.002 , or the filter is not centered on the desired frequency. I didn't notice this issue on CW or SSB.

Steve

It is another station on 9995.0 KHZ USB also transmitting time of day info. Strange!
Old 04-16-2013, 6:09 PM

The AM filter is asymmetrical on 5kc, 7.5kc
Old 04-18-2013, 5:40 PM

Universal Radio are selling the CR-1 wonder if thats with the latest software upgrades..

Regards Lino..

Last edited by carmelof; 04-18-2013 at 5:55 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 4:00 PM

Has a master "bug list" been posted? Don't want to report already reported bugs.
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2013, 4:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No 'official' master bug list available. Don and Joel are managing the software revision / bug extermination effort. Please be sure to include DSP and PIC revision numbers along with bug observations.

Bob
Old 04-25-2013, 5:31 PM

General observation: The tuning encoder is getting loose and the tuning is a bit "jumpy".
Old 04-29-2013, 2:08 AM

I try to understand a structure of the radio. So, could someone tell what a chip is installed for the HF-UHF converting to low-IF? Thank you.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Windk-

No chips, it's all done by MAGIC!
Old 04-30-2013, 5:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
In the small SRD radio dept there is also the new TenTec Argonaut which I believe is based around the Eagle receiver. If so its a really good performing receiver.
prcguy
TenTec blew it with this radio also. No 60, 12 or 6 meter coverage with that radio. That is insane in today's world. I asked a TenTec guy at last year's Hamvention why they crippled the radio. The answer was they could not "fit" those bands in the radio because it was too small! Huh? So I said well how is it Elecraft can fit all those bands into a smaller enclosure that also has an option for internal battery and antenna tuner? TenTec told me to ask Elecraft.

So I went over to Elecraft and asked them. Elecraft said they simply had better engineering!

In any case, I really do not consider the new Argonaut to be a Software Defined Radio, though TenTec should make one. Then again, maybe their engineering is not up to par.
Old 04-30-2013, 5:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Interesting but...

I watched the videos of this radio. While it sounds interesting, I do not understand why a computer control was not included....especially with an SDR radio!

If it had computer control and had coverage up to around 2.0Ghz like my Funcube Pro+, then I might have been interested.

Maybe the next model.
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2013, 6:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I agree TenTec blew it on their new little QRP rig and that's why I bought an Elecraft KX3 which is a SDR. TenTec makes a few SDRs, the new Argonaut, the Eagle and a few HV/VHF/UHF receivers. There is a thread started on a TenTec forum where they are discussing using a CR-1 as a companion receiver to the Eagle.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beischel View Post
TenTec blew it with this radio also. No 60, 12 or 6 meter coverage with that radio. That is insane in today's world. I asked a TenTec guy at last year's Hamvention why they crippled the radio. The answer was they could not "fit" those bands in the radio because it was too small! Huh? So I said well how is it Elecraft can fit all those bands into a smaller enclosure that also has an option for internal battery and antenna tuner? TenTec told me to ask Elecraft.

So I went over to Elecraft and asked them. Elecraft said they simply had better engineering!

In any case, I really do not consider the new Argonaut to be a Software Defined Radio, though TenTec should make one. Then again, maybe their engineering is not up to par.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NRD-505
General observation: The tuning encoder is getting loose and the tuning is a bit "jumpy".

NRD-505
I'd suggest getting in touch with CommRadio and describe the problem. I know there is a panel mounted shaft. Perhaps the nut is coming a bit loose. If you have an Allen wrench, you could remove the knob and check the tightness of the nut you'll see under the knob. It may be loose. It can be tightened with a pair of sturdy needle nose pliers. Doubtful that you's have a thin wall nut driver, but then again you might. That would be best if it is loose.

Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beischel View Post
I watched the videos of this radio. While it sounds interesting, I do not understand why a computer control was not included....especially with an SDR radio!

If it had computer control and had coverage up to around 2.0Ghz like my Funcube Pro+, then I might have been interested.

Maybe the next model.
This has been in my talks with the developer. I don't know why some SDR features (as far as what and SDR is today) was not included or being added. This is a bummer and I just about regret my purchase of the unit. My R75 can do more and with computer control. Of course there is a price premium but many people purchasing this radio are going to do so for the love of the hobby. There is just nothing really there to make one really really want this radio.

Don't get me wrong, performance is good and the battery is nice. But this radio could be so much more and sell in troves. Not the developers vision and why the units are not flying off the shelves. Sometimes you have to add to your vision to entice the masses.... Oh well live and learn....
Old 04-30-2013, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If I purchase a CR-1 it would be for portbility, features and performance, I would never use computer control. I have other radios that are computer controlled and they take a backseat to radios with knobs.

Still waiting for a test report on the CR-1 from a trusted source like Rob Sherwood.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
This has been in my talks with the developer. I don't know why some SDR features (as far as what and SDR is today) was not included or being added. This is a bummer and I just about regret my purchase of the unit. My R75 can do more and with computer control. Of course there is a price premium but many people purchasing this radio are going to do so for the love of the hobby. There is just nothing really there to make one really really want this radio.

Don't get me wrong, performance is good and the battery is nice. But this radio could be so much more and sell in troves. Not the developers vision and why the units are not flying off the shelves. Sometimes you have to add to your vision to entice the masses.... Oh well live and learn....
Old 04-30-2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
If I purchase a CR-1 it would be for portbility, features and performance, I would never use computer control. I have other radios that are computer controlled and they take a backseat to radios with knobs.

Still waiting for a test report on the CR-1 from a trusted source like Rob Sherwood.
prcguy
I agree. For that usage it is a nice radio.

But as I have said to the developer many times, imagine taking this radio to the field and having all the capabilities of a rugged radio with knobs. Now bring that same radio home hook it to the computer and have a SDR as good as at least the SDR-IQ. Sound nice?

These units would be hard for Don to keep in stock...

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky