serproxy and talkgroup monitor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

73cuda

I have tried all day to get serproxy and talkgroup monitor working and can't figure out why it's not working. I'm using Oddcast and Icecast and I'm getting the audio stream perfectly on Winamp. My BC895XLT is connected to com 1 and I'm positive it's communicating with the com port.

I'd like to use Peter's ScannerCast but the 895 is the only PC controlled scanner I have right now. What's happening is I start serproxy then TG monitor and I get "unable to connect with scanner". I have checked the config files and they appear to be correct but I must be missing something.

Can anyone help me with this ?

I can PM or post my config files.

Thanks,

Steve

Tweekerbob

If you've gone so far as to double check all config files I suspect that the problem is not that you are trying to use serproxy/TGM with a scanner control program running (the COM port would be in use before you even started TGM).

Having said that, go ahead and copy/paste the config files, I don't believe there's any sensitive info in those, if I recall.

73cuda

Hi Tweekerbob, I don't have any other scanner SW running while doing this.

I'll post everything I can below...

Icecast
<!-- This config file contains a minimal set of configurable parameters,
and mostly just contains the things you need to change. We created
this for those who got scared away from the rather large and heavily
commented icecast.xml.dist file. -->
<icecast>
<limits>
<sources>2</sources>
</limits>
<authentication>
<source-password>/live</source-password>
<relay-password>hackme</relay-password>
<admin-user>admin</admin-user>
<admin-password>hackme</admin-password>
</authentication>

<hostname>192.168.1.101</hostname>
<listen-socket>
<port>8000</port>
</listen-socket>
<fileserve>1</fileserve>
<paths>
<logdir>./logs</logdir>
<webroot>./web</webroot>
<adminroot>./admin</adminroot>
<alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
</paths>
<logging>
<accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
<errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
<loglevel>3</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
</logging>
</icecast>

Serproxy
# Config file for serproxy
# See serproxy's README file for documentation

# Comm ports used
comm_ports=1,2,3,4

# Default settings
comm_baud=19200
comm_databits=8
comm_stopbits=1
comm_parity=none

# Idle time out in seconds
timeout=-1

# Port 1 settings (ttyS0)
net_port1=5331

# Port 2 settings (ttyS1)
#net_port2=5332

# Port 3 settings (ttyS2)
#net_port3=5333

# Port 4 settings (ttyS3)
#net_port4=5334

Talkgroup monitor
#
# Scanner connection parameters
#
#
# SCANNER_HOST should be set to the IP address or hostname of the machine
# your scanner is connected to and which is running serproxy.
#
# SCANNER_PORT should be set to a port number defined in the serproxy
# configuration file (serproxy.cfg). By default,
# 5331 = COM1, 5332 = COM2, 5333 = COM3, and 5334 = COM4. If
# you need to use a higher COM port number you'll need to
# add it to the serproxy.cfg configuration file.
#

SCANNER_HOST=192.168.1.101
SCANNER_PORT=5331

#
# Icecast configuration
#
# Comment out the lines below if you are not using an Icecast
# server to have the alpha tags sent to SimpleCast.
#
# ICECAST_HOST should be set to the IP address or hostname of your
# Icecast server.
#
# ICECAST_PORT should be set to the port number your Icecast server
# is running on.
#
# ICECAST_URI Change "/live" to be the mount point your stream is using.
#
# ICECAST_USERNAME should be set to the same value as <admin-user> in the
# <authentication> section of your Icecast configuration
# file.
#
# ICECAST_PASSWORD should be set to the same value as <admin-password> in the
# <authentication> section of your Icecast configuration
# file.
#
# ICECAST_RESPONSE should not be changed.
#

ICECAST_HOST=192.168.1.101
ICECAST_PORT=8000
ICECAST_URI=/admin/metadata.xsl?mount=/live&mode=updinfo&song=%s
ICECAST_USERNAME=admin
ICECAST_PASSWORD=hackme
ICECAST_RESPONSE=HTTP/1.0 200 OK

I can post some screen captures if needed also. Thanks.

NYRHKY94

Hello:

I'm assuming you have the BC895 set to remote and that the baud rate was also set to the same 19200 you are using in your config file? Also assuming that Com 1 in your PC is set to 19200 baud rate?

73cuda

Hello:

I'm assuming you have the BC895 set to remote and that the baud rate was also set to the same 19200 you are using in your config file? Also assuming that Com 1 in your PC is set to 19200 baud rate?

The 895 is set to remote, not sure what the baud rate of the 895 itself is set to or how to set it, the com port (1) is set to 19200, and the Serproxy config is set to 19200.

I also uninstalled Talkgroup monitor and reinstalled it to "C:\Talkgroup Monitor\Com_1\monitor.exe" and still unable to connect.

I just can't find what I'm missing, I have tested that the scanner communicates with control SW and it works fine.

?

EDIT: I just found how to change the 895's baud rate and the highest it goes is 9600

Last edited:

73cuda

I think I have it now, I changed the com port 1 to 9600 to match the 895's and it looks like it's finally working !

I'll check it out some more and post results !

THANKS !

73cuda

Attachments

• TGM capture.jpg
    TGM capture.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Icecast capture.jpg
    Icecast capture.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 341

73cuda

Did you also change your Serproxy.cfg to 9600?
Oh yeah, absolutely. It turns out I had the Icecast PW in monitor.cfg wrong, I changed that and I'm now getting all tags and audio through Winamp perfectly.

Now I just need to finish the settings so I can get the feed over the internet so I can listen and see from anywhere and I'll post a link for it here too.

But at last, it's working perfect !

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Tweekerbob

Glad that it's working.

What you can from this point is a few things:

1. You need to set the feed computer up for static routing. You can do this by going to Start/Run/cmd
Then you need to type in ipconfig /all.This will give you the streaming computer's internal IP address as well as the gateway address and the DNS server addresses. Take note of all of these.

2. Go into your internet connection by right clicking on the icon that has the two computers that are always flashing blue. Hit properties. Then scroll down (usually the last one) that says IP something rather. Hit Properties again.

3. Assign the streaming computer an IP address by hitting manual. Assigning your streaming computer an IP address that is in the IP range of your router (something like 192.168.1.115). The subnet should fill in auto, the gateway should be the address of your router, which you already wrote down. I typically fill in DNS servers as the ones you already wrote down. These are from your ISP.
From there, keep hitting OK until your connection resets itself. Now that computer always has the same address in your local network.

4. Tell your router to use Port Forwarding or Virtual Server or something like that. You basically want to point all incoming traffic on port 8000 (I guess) to go to a specific computer on your network, your streaming computer. Use the static IP internal address you just set up and all should be good.

5. Now, if you don't have a static internet IP address from your ISP, then you need a typically free service that will tell everyone that when they click on something.myscanner.com or whatever where they can find your computer. Google dynamic DNS services. There are many. You want to have something that people will recognize, but still points to your public (internet) IP address even though that number (address) may change frequently.

From there, should work like a champ. There are a few ISPs that block certain or all incoming ports. But otherwise...should be okie dokie.

73cuda

Hi Bob,

I can access the stream perfect from my other PC's on my network by simply putting in the IP of my scanner "server". I don't know if that will work over the internet when I'm not here at the house so I have setup a no-ip.org account but when I try to access it from one of the other PC's here at the house I get "access denied" in winamp. The ones I'm trying is ocalascanner.no-ip.org:8000/feed.m3u or ocalascanner.no-ip.org:8000/live

I have done the port forwarding for the server IP and port 8000. And is there any danger in posting the IP of my server stream here ? Or I can PM it to you if you don't mind checking it.

Tweekerbob

Seems like it is working with the /live mount. The /feed mount address you have listed points to your internal IP address, not your external internet IP address as the /live mount does. So that one does not work.

I apologize, I am trying all of this on my streaming computer (long story) and I cannot hear your feed (another long story). But it does connect in Winamp and I see the tags and I see that it does receive audio. Again, I cannot critique the audio coming over. One thing is though, you want to change your settings in Oddcast to be only a mono feed instead of stereo. Also set your bitrate to 16kpbs instead of 128k. Lastly, set the sampling rate to no larger than 22050.

These settings are more than ample to provide a quality feed for scanner use. Keep in mind that the more listeners you have, the more you tax your upload bandwidth.

As long as your hardware (router) firewall and your software firewalls are enabled, shouldn't be too much of a security risk for you.

Glad to see you got it working.

EDIT--Sorry, I CAN hear your audio. Sounds really clean. Only other critique is the audio could be turned up a tad. Turn up your scanner audio as loud as you can without getting any clipping or distortion. Then very gradually turn up the souncard mic or line in to get the desired sound level.</p>
Some ISPs don't allow a loopback connection. This means that if you try to access your own computer by going out into the internet and trying to go back to your computer (network) it won't work. Don't forget to either set-up the static ip address for your streaming computer. Some routers will allow you to "reserve" a specific IP (internal) for a specific device. If you do this, it will nullify any need to set your streaming computer to a static IP. Also, although I don't endorse nor not endorse, you may want to consider having RR host your feed. The Pros are that you can free up your bandwidth, you get a complimentary Premium subscription to RR, and you can beef up your firewall so that you don't have to allow any incoming connections. Also, if you want, there are many free and paid apps that can access your feed (this is actually true whether or not you choose to feed through RR) for any smart phone you might have.

Last edited:

73cuda

Hi Bob,

I apologize for my delayed reply, thanks for checking the feed and telling me your results and opinions, I appreciate it. It must be that my ISP blocks the loop back. I tried changing the bit and sampling rates to the values you said and I had several problems. The audio had a kind of synthesizer background sound and winamp kept buffering very quickly over and over although the feed kept working.

So I found that I get good audio and stable feed with 24/24, maybe that's too high but it seems to work the best.(?) I do need to try changing back to mono though. I activated a separate V/U meter program and increased the level a little more and it sounds better on my end now. I will change to static IP also as you say.

If you can, I'd like to know what apps you refer to regarding getting the feed on a smart phone.

Thanks again for the help,

Steve

Last edited:

73cuda

Correction on my previous post. Re: Winamp settings, I followed the instructions found here:WinAmp - The RadioReference Wiki and I now have Oddcast set as Bob said at 16 and 22050 and it's working fine with no re buffering problems and the audio is decent.

And I found a cool Winamp skin I use on all my PC's for stream monitoring which can be seen below. I normally keep it minimized and "always on top" while I do other work or surf on the PC as you can see in the 2nd pic...

Attachments

• winamp1.jpg
    winamp1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 288
  • winamp2.jpg
    winamp2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.