Chopped recorded audio - Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangus580

Hey all - I am building a recording device using a raspberry pi.

I had everything working great, moved off a proto setup, to a soldered perf board, and now all the audio gets chopped.

Equipment is a Motorola CDM-1250, A Pi, C-media usb audio card.

I am using the PL detect, and CSQ detect from the acc plug on the back of the radio, as well as the RX audio pin, the Switched 12+, and ground.

Radio pinout is here - An Overview of the Motorola SM50/SM120 Mobile Radios

I am using pin 8 and 12 from the back of the radio, giving me 5v + while no matching signal is detected. They drop to 0 when a detection enables the output.

These pins, are passed through a logic level converter to drop to 3.3v, and input on the pi on pins 23 and 24.

Software watches, to see when CSQ is detected, and no PL tone is present. Starts recording, until CSQ is dropped, at which point it stops.

When I moved off of my jumper wire, slapped together mess, to a perf board, I now get chopped audio on the recording.

I have uploaded the 2 different files providing examples in a zip file.

I am sure I am missing something - it worked flawless previously. The only other thing I can think of, is I switched from using a 7805 regulator chip to provide the pi power, to this: Robot Check

I dont think thats causing it, as I have powered the pi from an external source and the problem was still there. (granted, that was a cheap 120v brick for cell phones... so who knows)

Any thoughts? This is proving to be quite frustrating!!

Attachments

• recorder audio.zip
    61.8 KB · Views: 50

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Looking at the waveform in Audacity, it looks like something is driving the audio input to the rails (both positive and negative) during the "chopped" portions. The period of the "chopping" waveform appears to be about 145 ms.

I'm not sure if that helps you troubleshoot or not. I would check to make sure there are no 5V logic signals accidentally shorted to the audio line...it seems like something is driving the voltage beyond where it should be.

Andy

mangus580

Well, I guess I will try this again. Posted a big long reply the other night, said it needed moderator approval - and it disappeared into the abyss...

So.... I made some more changes, and made sure all my grounds were in the same location.

No change...

Swapped the ribbon cable out for individual jumpers....

No change...

Odd thing - If I test continuity on the ground wire between the radio and the Pi, it shows resistance once the Pi boots....

Has me confused, but I suspect that this is causing the audio issue. Sadly, I dont know why the ground is doing this!!

Any thoughts?

mangus580

Oh, the other thing I noticed when looking at the wave form...

The 'chop' is consistent, and repetitive.... If I make a long enough recording, it repeats the pattern.

Attachments

• 27.01.2016-23.05.55.zip
    73.3 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.