Old user new to R-Pi. Can't seem to get it going. Any suggestions?

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
I've been a Broadcastify feeder for several years and thought I would switch of to a R-Pi to simplify my setup and take up a little less room. I believe that I followed all of the instructios in the Broadcastify R-Pi Wiki, but I'm still having trouble getting it to work. Everything on the screen looks fine, I've set up the R-Pi, flashed the memory card with the latest file from Broadcastify, configured Darkice, and tried to start the it. I get a message that says "missing argument". I don't see in the Wiki where this is adressed. So, the R-Pi is sitting dead for the moment while I try to figure out where I've gone wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

a417

I've been a Broadcastify feeder for several years and thought I would switch of to a R-Pi to simplify my setup and take up a little less room. I believe that I followed all of the instructios in the Broadcastify R-Pi Wiki, but I'm still having trouble getting it to work. Everything on the screen looks fine, I've set up the R-Pi, flashed the memory card with the latest file from Broadcastify, configured Darkice, and tried to start the it. I get a message that says "missing argument". I don't see in the Wiki where this is adressed. So, the R-Pi is sitting dead for the moment while I try to figure out where I've gone wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Show us the actual error, rather than your abbreviated interpretation of it. Thanks.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
1000018408.jpgif I understood Linux I could probably be more help.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
Does the last line: Code=Exited, Status=255/EXCEPTION lend any clues?

Thanks,

-Jim

a417

how many instances of darkice are you running?
An exception is too vague to diagnose from a portion of a screenshot.
can we see the service files & any scripts they are running?

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
I'm only running one instance of DarkIce. I used the Broadcastify file to load the disk image onto an otherwise blank memory card, so it should only contain those files. Since it's all on a R-Pi, and I'm using my Windows machine to write this, how would I go about showing you what service files and scripts are running? When it comes to the R-Pi, as you have probably already discovered, I am less than proficient.

-Jim

a417

Ah, ok. Thought this was something you tried to spin up on your own. The default broadcastify disk image is good stuff.

bcfy.jpg
That's what we want to see, but before you do that...How are you accessing the raspi? the industry standard way is to SSH into headless devices (like your raspi is perfectly capable to be run as), which would give you local access to your running system, from another running system. Are you using a keyboard and monitor on the raspi to interact with it?

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
Currently yes. Direct access via keyboard and monitor. I could SSH into it, but I have not done that in a long time and I'll have to dig up the directions on how to do that. I'll be starting over with that learning process.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If you're using Windows 10 or 11 just open a command prompt by typing cmd in the search window and selecting the Command Prompt program. When that window opens type ssh pi@192.168.1.x with "x" being the IP address of your Pi, or 10.1.1.whatever depending on the subnet you're using. I am also presuming "pi" is the username. One no longer needs to install an SSH client on Windows from 10 and up. You will be prompted to accept the signature, so press the letter "y" on your keyboard and hit enter. It will then ask you for the password. Type that in and press enter. You will now be logged in.

Once you log in type: top
This will show you what is running. Get a screen shot of that. To exit out of that use the Ctrl and c keyboard buttons. You will then be back at the shell prompt like you're used to when logging in directly.

* I personally enjoy using RealVNC viewer. The OS on Pi's now typically include the RealVNC server by default. Although I am unsure if the Broadcastify image has that set to be installed. If so, you could use the free RealVNC client by downloading it. ( There is a paid version for commercial use "RealVNC Connect", so avoid that one ) This will allow you to view the GUI end of the Pi as well as open up a shell directly on the Pi.

I do not use the Broadcastify image nor darkice and a417 is more up-to-speed on that.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
Well, it is suddenly working. I messed with the volume level a little in alsamixer and when I tried to launch it again, it succesfully worked. The OS on the R-Pi is completely foreign to me so I'm pretty much shooting in the dark here. the audio to the feed is at a good level and it's more clear than it used to be, so I guess that's a victory. I used to be pretty computer literate, but going to Linux has humbled me significantly.
What command is best to use to remotely see if it is working or not?

DC31

Feed Provider
What command is best to use to remotely see if it is working or not?

under General on the Feed Owner’s Management page you can set up feed failure alerts to your email.