10 meters HOT! questions also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intiractive

So im fairly new to scanning the 10 meter ham band. Ive been off and on scanning it for the past month, but the past week at around 8pm to 9pm EST it seems like skip is coming into play and it is wide open. Any other time other than 8-9pm and i hear absolutely nothing.

tonight 06/18/2011 : i heard traffic on

29.6400 callsigns N2AZF (New Hamshire), WD4ICK (Georgia).
29.6200 couldnt catch a complete callsign but heard them say their locations as "Orange County, NY" and "Missouri"
29.6600 couldnt catch a complete callsign but everyone was talking in a new york accent
29.7700 spanish speaking
29.5600 no complete callsigns

all of this was happening at one time between 8:51pm EST and by 9:20pm EST it had pretty much disappeared. conditions here were 78* F with approaching thunderstorms. my location is Wilmington, NC. using a uniden bearcat BC350A with a 11meter k40 cb radio antenna.

anyone else experiencing this? its like my buddy noted that i didnt notice - seems like all the traffic i hear is north to south... ive heard this week traffic from NY, NH, NC, GA, AL, RI... and im located in wilmington NC on the water. pretty much all coastal states. Is this skip normal for N to S orientation? or is there also E to W skip that anyone is experiencing?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it seems 10 and 11 meters have had good conditions in the early evening hours for the last week or more. The past two nights it went on until after mid-night. If you had a bigger antenna you probably would have heard all the west coast stations coming in also. I was hanging down between 28.300 and 28.500 usb. Local chat on CB 38LSB was impossible due to the skip comming in.

K9WG

Ahh, I remember running 6-meters SSB for Field Day back in 1974. Talked all over the US. Dem were good old days when men were men and sunspots ruled.

Murstech

I like to listen to 10 meter FM on a scanner. Last year I was hearing it daily and I wasnt even using a proper antenna. In fact I heard one repeater the entire night. Back in the 80s I had alot of fun Talking on 6 meters AM on 50.4 MHZ using a knight TR 106 with abt 8 watts output and a dipole in a tree.

VA3QRM

So im fairly new to scanning the 10 meter ham band. Ive been off and on scanning it for the past month, but the past week at around 8pm to 9pm EST it seems like skip is coming into play and it is wide open. Any other time other than 8-9pm and i hear absolutely nothing.

tonight 06/18/2011 : i heard traffic on

29.6400 callsigns N2AZF (New Hamshire), WD4ICK (Georgia).
29.6200 couldnt catch a complete callsign but heard them say their locations as "Orange County, NY" and "Missouri"
29.6600 couldnt catch a complete callsign but everyone was talking in a new york accent
29.7700 spanish speaking
29.5600 no complete callsigns

all of this was happening at one time between 8:51pm EST and by 9:20pm EST it had pretty much disappeared. conditions here were 78* F with approaching thunderstorms. my location is Wilmington, NC. using a uniden bearcat BC350A with a 11meter k40 cb radio antenna.

anyone else experiencing this? its like my buddy noted that i didnt notice - seems like all the traffic i hear is north to south... ive heard this week traffic from NY, NH, NC, GA, AL, RI... and im located in wilmington NC on the water. pretty much all coastal states. Is this skip normal for N to S orientation? or is there also E to W skip that anyone is experiencing?

29.600 is FM simplex...keep an ear out for DX here, while 29.62,64, and 66 are repeaters ( outputs ). 29.56 is the input to the 29.66 repeater. Listen this weekend as it is ham radio field day, more activity ( especially side band / repeater contacts don't apply ) but don't count out FM simplex activity.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
29.62-.68 are repeater outputs, .56 is an input, .66 is a New Yawk City cross band linked repeater system and .77 is out of band. Just because a user's callsign locates the ham it doesn't say where the repeater is located, skip is like that. Every ham and that includes repeaters is required to ID every 10 minutes so if propagation is solid you don't have to wait long to hear the repeater ID. This is where learning Morse code comes in handy, most repeaters 10M or otherwise use automatic CWID.

Hey, stop listening and start talking, all it takes is a license and all a license takes is a memory. The Technician Class can use the lower portion of 10M but if you want to use the repeaters you need to study just a little more and go for General. Meanwhile you'll have full privileges from 2M to light where you don't need a license at all above 300GHz.

Eh, I was sort of tongue in cheek with that one because I found it easy for a ham down the street and I to play around with lasers but microwave? Sorry, I don't have a machine shop to fabricate hardware and not enough money to buy the fancy stuff.

intiractive

yeah kb2vxa im in the process of studying right now. i have the arrl book for the technicians liscense. ive been scanning for several months and am tired of listening, like you said lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.