107 Miles on an OTA TV Antenna

spongella

Not sure where this post would fit so I will defer to the Moderators' wisdom as to its ultimate placement or deletion. Thank you.

I uses a Winegard YA-7000 TV antenna with a rotor and preamp to watch over the air TV stations. My location is equidistant from NYC from Philadelphia. Wtih this antenna system I receive a total of about 150 stations, one as far away as Long Island. However, my record was broken recently when I was able to consistently receive Connecticut Public TV from Stamford, CT. That's about 107 miles as the crow flies.

Attached is a screenshot of the station rec'd. I'm one happy camper.

Hope this helps anyone setting up a TV antenna. A good antenna (Winegard is one that comes to mind), preamp at the antenna, quality coax and rotor is best for those of us in fringe areas.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• 20231118_123418.jpg
    20231118_123418.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The Winegard antennas were some quality units. They were the units that my childhood neighborš sold at their TV business.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
A couple of factors to consider. One is that your antenna can "see" the transmitting antenna. Biggest factor is usually curvature of the Earth. When either antenna is thousands of feet above sea level, it gets easier. A good directional antenna will give you "free" gain of the signal. Don't use poor quality (high loss) coax to get the signal to the receiver(s). If you're going to split the signal, you certainly want a low noise (pre)amp to compensate.

I've been able to pick up TV signals from over 100 miles away for all my life, but it's gotten a little trickier with ATSC. If you use a single antenna on a rotor, you probably need to re-scan each time you move it. Another approach is separate antennas, each pointing in a different direction, and each feeding separate tuners.

However, I am afraid that the hobby of watching OTA TV is going to go the way of the retail music CD business before long. The new ATSC 3.0 standard (marketed as Next-Gen TV) employs DRM and the broadcasting companies want to employ several restrictions on consumers: prevent recording, lock the recording to the receiver that it was received from, cause your recording to expire and not be playable are just some issues.

spongella

A couple of factors to consider. One is that your antenna can "see" the transmitting antenna. Biggest factor is usually curvature of the Earth. When either antenna is thousands of feet above sea level, it gets easier. A good directional antenna will give you "free" gain of the signal. Don't use poor quality (high loss) coax to get the signal to the receiver(s). If you're going to split the signal, you certainly want a low noise (pre)amp to compensate.

I've been able to pick up TV signals from over 100 miles away for all my life, but it's gotten a little trickier with ATSC. If you use a single antenna on a rotor, you probably need to re-scan each time you move it. Another approach is separate antennas, each pointing in a different direction, and each feeding separate tuners.

However, I am afraid that the hobby of watching OTA TV is going to go the way of the retail music CD business before long. The new ATSC 3.0 standard (marketed as Next-Gen TV) employs DRM and the broadcasting companies want to employ several restrictions on consumers: prevent recording, lock the recording to the receiver that it was received from, cause your recording to expire and not be playable are just some issues.
Digital TV yes, is much trickier.

mastr

...The new ATSC 3.0 standard (marketed as Next-Gen TV) employs DRM and the broadcasting companies want to employ several restrictions on consumers: prevent recording, lock the recording to the receiver that it was received from, cause your recording to expire and not be playable are just some issues.
Some broadcasters are probably going to "want" themselves right out of business.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The new ATSC 3.0 standard (marketed as Next-Gen TV) employs DRM and the broadcasting companies want to employ several restrictions on consumers: prevent recording, lock the recording to the receiver that it was received from, cause your recording to expire and not be playable are just some issues.
There are some interesting, critical, videos on YT about ATSC 3.0, and the DRM issues. Tyler the Antenna Guy has a few of them.

Ubbe

Ugh! That YA-7000 doesn't look like much. 3 element VHF and 3 element UHF. Going just to 6 elements would double the signal to the amplifier.

/Ubbe

spongella

Ugh! That YA-7000 doesn't look like much. 3 element VHF and 3 element UHF. Going just to 6 elements would double the signal to the amplifier.

/Ubbe
I was surprised though at it's performance. Getting one with more elements is on my bucket list, hihi.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where this post would fit so I will defer to the Moderators' wisdom as to its ultimate placement or deletion. Thank you.

I uses a Winegard YA-7000 TV antenna with a rotor and preamp to watch over the air TV stations. My location is equidistant from NYC from Philadelphia. Wtih this antenna system I receive a total of about 150 stations, one as far away as Long Island. However, my record was broken recently when I was able to consistently receive Connecticut Public TV from Stamford, CT. That's about 107 miles as the crow flies.

Attached is a screenshot of the station rec'd. I'm one happy camper.

Hope this helps anyone setting up a TV antenna. A good antenna (Winegard is one that comes to mind), preamp at the antenna, quality coax and rotor is best for those of us in fringe areas.

Thank you for reading.
You may be interested in poking around here. Click on a station on the right,
then on left below 24 hours select ever.

p1879

Thanks Spongella, was hoping OTA TV would be brought up. Yes GMCLAM, you are right about about the clock ticking on OTA as we know it, as well.

There are a lot of people who have been misled to think they can't get any OTA, without a "digital" TV antenna. Frequently they buy a really cheap "discreet decor" flat panel, and then wonder why they can't get any stations. Some of those "antennas" have a piece of cardboard in them with solder traces smeared on as antenna elements.

Then there are a lot of younger people who can't get the concept of OTA (free) TV---they think if it is not internet/streaming or through the phone, somehow it can't work.

You guys are right about Winegard and some of the classic real tv antennas. They do an awesome job, and my experience with amps have been very positive as well; Kitztech KT200 here.

I have gifted some folks some small yagi-type antennas to allow them to get some free entertainment. This is a big deal to someone without internet and who have been frustrated with the performance of a cheap flat-panel antenna, resulting in missing many or most stations in the market.

The little RCA 754 (which goes by some other numbers 751,752) is flimsy, but has worked pretty well in some attic installs with an amp for some friends. It has the cheapest junk for a balun imaginable though, which needs substitution. One friend using it gets many stations from a difficult location, and a 1 edge station off the back side of it. We put the noisy, cheap ONN 13$ amp on it and she is very content with it. It only has a 12 foot coax run, so the Onn Amp worked well right at the TV. The amp added a significant number of channels. Exceeded the Rabbitears.info modeling prediction.

I like that YA -7000, but the nice low band element does limit it for some installs. I think one of those would be my solution with my real Channel 2 station here, only station in my market I can't get.

Until yesterday was using the RCA and a DB8-E 8 bay antenna, with a UVSJ coupler, and a Kitztech KT200 on to a 3 way splitter, all in the attic. The HVAC work going on here meant I had to move antennas around, so I hooked just the RCA into the amp, and still got my same 65 channels, including a 1 edge vhf signal at 50 miles. That vhf transmit antenna is on a 6000'+ mountain , though.

Looking for any input on a compact antenna, high VHF and uhf, for helping folks who need some TV. The RCA 751 and clones, as well as the Walmart antenna for $20 are both a tad short in boom length/ elements---maybe someone here knows of an antenna in the 45 inch boom length range that would be a step up, but not with the long element like the YA-7000?

The Walmart antenna I mentioned....I gave the same antenna, under another brand, to some friends, and they were pretty happy. They just watch PBS, and were able to get our state and an adjoining state for PBS, so they are pleased enough with it. Each state has some independent programming as well as main PBS channel.The one I gave them was slightly more solid than the RCA, but that is not saying much. I include the link for information, not really an endorsement, but it works.

Have a friend here who had an ancient Channel Master with a 72" boom or so on it. His Mom (RIP) had had it installed maybe 45 years ago. He wanted to get a new antenna, but I talked him into putting it in a better spot, re-cabling it, and the guy was able to get 80+channels, without an amp. His location is on a hilltop. He loves retro tv shows, so very pleased.

Here is the link to the offering from Walmart--it looks like the same antenna I gave to my friends. Once again, not an endorsement, but might help someone on a tight budget; not in the same class as a Winegard or Channel Master, etc. though. Yes, it is junk, and of course there is better, but for a $20 attic antenna might work for some. Attic install is very pleasing for the elderly.

Wish I could give out some Televes antennas . Their uhf only amped antenna is close to the price of the RCA and a cheap amp! Their pricier models look like a good solution for most.....but do cost more.

prcguy

He he he.

Haaaaa ha ha ha.

Aaaaaah ha ha, he he, cough, cough, haaaaaaaa! Oooofaaaaa!

p1879

The Secret is Out! This cutting -edge, sensitive, and export-controlled military technology is now offered for elite customers!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
He he he.

Haaaaa ha ha ha.

Aaaaaah ha ha, he he, cough, cough, haaaaaaaa! Oooofaaaaa!
I don't see how anyone can claim that distance, especially on an indoor antenna. You have to get pretty high to get past the curvature of the earth (or the station is broadcasting from above the earth).

nowires

What's the point of Ota then?

prcguy

I don't see how anyone can claim that distance, especially on an indoor antenna. You have to get pretty high to get past the curvature of the earth (or the station is broadcasting from above the earth).
If the competition claims 50 miles we make something up and claim 80 miles to sell more antennas. They up it to 120mi then we claim 240 miles and so on. Its all a big lie.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It was fun BITD to DX and get some of those old analog stations, sadly those days are long gone. I cannot even play anymore, even if I wanted to with the HOA restrictions. I only watch a little news or Amazon Prime movies, but there is way too much available to watch for free (if one wanted to) with a Roku if you are already paying for Internet, but I'd rather play with my radios or girlfriend anyway.

radiopro52

I recently bought this antenna and mounted it on my roof as it was highly reviewed by Tyler the antenna man. For me, performance is good as long as you have it mounted high enough. I'm about 35 miles from the local towers and am using a 50 foot run of quad-shield RG6 coax with no preamp, and I can pick up most of the TV stations reliably. We'll see if that changes come spring time when all the trees sprout leaves again.