2005-2008 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Onslow County Ramblings

Didnt know what to call this...

Seems like someone down east is playing with a VIPER radio because I have been getting a decent amount of pings from 43520 (HYDECOSOMAIN). Wonder whats up with that... Gotta love smartzone!

Cheers

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
was talking to a viper tech at the Benson Hamfest. and the short answer is, no time soon. right now just trying to get new systems on 3600 baud. "inter-op" groups will be not be dig anytime in the near future.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
NC State Parks Talkgroups added to the VIPER database listing.
Happy Monitoring & Happy Holidays!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4WLV

FAITH Site question ( Rowan County )

Hey guys,

I have been monitoring VIPER in open mode for about 2 weeks now just to see what TG's are more active around Salisbury and noticed TG 29840 being active alot. 29840 is Iredell County SO Dispatch. Just curious as to why it is TXing off the Faith site when it isn't in Iredell County. ( The FAITH site is a pretty good hike from the Iredell county line )

Just thought it was odd. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing it and every once in a while Statesville PD will come across, though its not often. However the Iredell SO Disp TG is active all the time. Could this be a screw up in the controllers or computers, or is this set up like this on purpose? Heck, I hear more out of Iredell than I do from the Rowan TRS, lol.

Any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated !!!!!

hankv

Hey guys,

I have been monitoring VIPER in open mode for about 2 weeks now just to see what TG's are more active around Salisbury and noticed TG 29840 being active alot. 29840 is Iredell County SO Dispatch. Just curious as to why it is TXing off the Faith site when it isn't in Iredell County.

Just thought it was odd. Could this be a screw up in the controllers or computers, or is this set up like this on purpose?

Any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated !!!!!

Actually, this is fairly common for adjacent counties. I remember a similar question about TG's from Raleigh being heard in Charlotte.

When a unit associated with TG nnnnnnn moves into a coverage area served by a different site, all traffic from TG nnnnnnn is broadcast from the new site (and the original site) until that unit leaves the area.

Hank

KM4WLV

Actually, this is fairly common for adjacent counties. I remember a similar question about TG's from Raleigh being heard in Charlotte.

When a unit associated with TG nnnnnnn moves into a coverage area served by a different site, all traffic from TG nnnnnnn is broadcast from the new site (and the original site) until that unit leaves the area.

Hank

That kinda makes sense. And I actually heard Raleigh FD on the FAITH site back when I first started monitoring VIPER. I guess the real "fun" in monitoring this beast called VIPER is going to be when the system buildout is complete, all players are online, and everyone knows how to make these fance new radios talk, lol. The future look bright indeed for VIPER. I guess my question about the Iredell units is, I can hear C-Com, and the deputies in the field, but none of them are in Rowan patrolling. However I could see the Faith site picking up the slack if Iredell had a unit get close to Rowan. Who knows, lol. I guess half the fun is figuring it out !!!

Last edited:

afdengine3

WNC Viper

Hello,
I have been listening to VIPER via the Brevard (Rich Mtn) tower here in Transylvania County for the past couple of months. Mostly the only active talkgroup is 3280 (SHPTRPGDIST4 Troop G District 4) with occasional talkgroups from all over popping up. I have some logged if anyone is interested.

Today I began hearing the Jackson County Sheriff's Office on 1168 which is EVENTSDELTA1. It sounds as if it is simulcast. Does anyone know what the JCSO's plans are?

Just curious,
Chris

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
From what I have seen from past experience I would guess that Jackson County is testing out VIPER to see if it fits their needs. The VIPER tech guys have done this in the past for other agencies. They set up a temporary patch on one or more of the little used statewide EVENT talkgroups and set the testing agency up with a few radios. Agency can then test any cross band (VHF->800 or UHF->800) activity and see how it does before making the VIPER interoperability leap.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Hello,
I have been listening to VIPER via the Brevard (Rich Mtn) tower here in Transylvania County for the past couple of months. Mostly the only active talkgroup is 3280 (SHPTRPGDIST4 Troop G District 4) with occasional talkgroups from all over popping up. I have some logged if anyone is interested.

Today I began hearing the Jackson County Sheriff's Office on 1168 which is EVENTSDELTA1. It sounds as if it is simulcast. Does anyone know what the JCSO's plans are?

Just curious,
Chris

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Rutherford & Henderson

I have searched for but cannot find any info regarding any Viper sites in Rutherford or Henderson counties. In the DB under Rutherford, it states that there is a Viper site in the county but I can't find anything on it. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

pboy

I have searched for but cannot find any info regarding any Viper sites in Rutherford or Henderson counties. In the DB under Rutherford, it states that there is a Viper site in the county but I can't find anything on it. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

No sites in those two counties yet.

What area area you interested in listening to?

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
No sites in those two counties yet.

What area area you interested in listening to?

I am in Cleveland county and have all the Viper sites here and the surrounding counties loaded. I just wanted to know if I had missed those two areas somehow.

pboy

There is Bens/Benn Knob up at the Cleveland and Burke line on the South Mtns.

868.8250 CC C92D Site 9 BENS.

Don't know if High WIndy near Black Mountain in Buncombe makes it down that way. It gets a signal to Hickory.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
There is Bens/Benn Knob up at the Cleveland and Burke line on the South Mtns.

868.8250 CC C92D Site 9 BENS.

Don't know if High WIndy near Black Mountain in Buncombe makes it down that way. It gets a signal to Hickory.

Yes I have those. Any idea when Rutherford, Polk or Henderson might come online?

Thanks

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm in Jackson County this weekend, near Cashiers, NC. I'm in a valley and can't hear hardly anything. But can get a few bars on the Macon Co. site C29D site #6, 868.725MHz. Only talkgroup I've heard is HP Troop G District 6. 3344. Nothing yet from Jackson County on this site that I've been able to hear.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm in Jackson County this weekend, near Cashiers, NC. I'm in a valley and can't hear hardly anything. But can get a few bars on the Macon Co. site C29D site #6, 868.725MHz. Only talkgroup I've heard is HP Troop G District 6. 3344. Nothing yet from Jackson County on this site that I've been able to hear.

Thanks for the report Brian...please keep us updated on what you hear!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

trumpetman

Database Admin
Haven't been monitoring the local VIPER site for about a week....so it might be a little late....but Troop G District 2 is utilizing VIPER. If I'm not mistaking, that is Rutherford, Polk, and McDowell Counties....but don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.