2013 Toyota Corolla LE Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Both. The amplied speaker and led come on when it receives an audio signal, and gradually fades out after the signal ends.

SCPD

QRT
Are you a volunteer firefighter too?

Bob(Yonkers,NY) And nice installation. I would of used Uniden Amplified speakers instead of Radio Shack's junk.
Be safe during this blizzard.

kjfswkr

Wow, lot of stuff in a Corolla. Looks good. I have a RAV 4 I am going to have stuff done to. Dominator 6 in rear, siren, radio, and some LED lights in grille and rear tail lights.

kevin

scottyhetzel

Me, too, but I haven't found a compact speaker that's amplified, which is needed for the Uniden scanners...

Hi, just buy a small car audio amp... 20 watts plus a channel and you will have more power and clear volume in the world. Cars three back could hear your scanner...not that you will but you can. I park my truck in the driveway and crank my scanner. Thought about tying it into my home stereo . The neighbor would think I'm crazy.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
2013 Corolla Redux

Well, I moved the FT-7800 head and added my Cobra 75 WX ST with a K-40 trunk lip mount antenna...

Attachments

• 2013-06-18 2019_13_58.jpg
    2013-06-18 2019_13_58.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 2013-06-18 2019_14_24.jpg
    2013-06-18 2019_14_24.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 2013-06-18 2019_14_55.jpg
    2013-06-18 2019_14_55.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 970

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Setup looks good, and clean.

Maybe I'll pass you one of these days on the roads.

73 / w2lie

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Phil. BTW, that HP-1 I won a couple of years ago has been on continuously on my nightstand since I brought it home from your house...

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Speaker placement

I have 2 small speakers I bought from radio shack years ago. The are small, good audio and you can mount them with the brackets or velcro them to the dash like I have done.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Phil. BTW, that HP-1 I won a couple of years ago has been on continuously on my nightstand since I brought it home from your house...

Awesome. Glad to hear you are enjoying the radio.

By the way, hard to see from the photos, but are those goose-neck mounts for your portable scanners the type that mount via the seat's mounting nut? Or did you just drill into the hump to mount them in?

SCPD

QRT
I mounted two speakers to the hump, in front of the rear seat. The middle seat is rarely occupied so leg space is not a factor. People would have to straddle the hump anyway and my speakers lay flat. I have a GRE 600 base/mobile and when I turn it up all the way it is loud enough to hear outside the car. I've only had something next to me once that overpowered the output of these non amplified speakers. I don't remember what is was, probably a diesel at a stoplight in one of those monster pickup trucks with a 110 pound female driving.

I mounted a speaker in a work truck just back of the front door for an employee of mine that was hard of hearing. Worked great, but such an installation is only possible in a pickup truck that doesn't have rear seats.

I like to install mobile/base radios in my car. I don't get good enough performance from a handheld. I've mounted them in the dash. However, I live in a rural area with a low chance of a break in. When I'm in a city I usually prop a map up on the center console using the stick shift as a brace. I have a fake car burglar alarm that I turn on. I haven't (knock on wood) had a problem so far. I don't have much of a reason to travel to big cities anymore, reducing my chances of a problem.

You probably use handhelds and remove them due to living in an urban area. That is my assessment, but you may have different reasons.

A very nice install and it is neat you use the feedback here in a useful way.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Awesome. Glad to hear you are enjoying the radio.

By the way, hard to see from the photos, but are those goose-neck mounts for your portable scanners the type that mount via the seat's mounting nut? Or did you just drill into the hump to mount them in?

Goose-necks mounted to the seat nuts. I brought them over from the '04 Corolla.

WQAJ741

Not to bring up an old thread, but how did you power through the firewall? I cannot seem to find ANYWHERE to run the wires...I've looked all over the place and I am lost..thanks!

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Not to bring up an old thread, but how did you power through the firewall? I cannot seem to find ANYWHERE to run the wires...I've looked all over the place and I am lost..thanks!
From inside the car, there is a rubber grommet all the way up on the left side of the firewall on the driver side. It is the same grommet used to feed all the other power lines into the cabin from the engine bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.