7 digit frequency??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

And, you arent required to buy any software program, you can program the scanner manually and use the information from the database which is free. If you want automation and simplicity, then you have to buy the software and a subscription, however neither is necessary to get your scanner up and running.

Nighttripper

I live in the sticks. Nothing changes here :) I think I bit off more than I can chew. $40 for the cable, $30 for the software, and $$ for a data base.

Night

JoeyC

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that these additional expenses weren't causing you undue grief needlessly.

Nighttripper

Thanks, but one upgrade went from 405 to 163. Then I "need" the usb cable. Then the programming software. That needs the database.

I went from a $100 upgrade to a $200 upgrade in nothing flat. Still trying to figure out the trunking system

Night

CStarr59

Night, scanning can be a little overwhelming if you just dive right in. Take your time and get to know your scanner a little at a time. Load your frequencies by hand and have fun and learn the features of it. Then try some software and get the alpha tags assigned to your frequencies. Have fun, thats the main thing with all this. When your ready try some trunking, one step at a time. You have to learn to walk before you can fly.

SCPD

QRT
This is so sad.

My wife got me a Radio Shack Pro 405 scanner. I live in the sticks of Illinois and want to hear the local Police/Fire/Ambulance calls. The local fire uses a freq of 154.4075 The scanner refuses to accept this.

Media Stronghurst Terra Haute Fire Protection District
Henderson County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

What am I doing wrong??

Night

Bummer you were led to believe you had to go buy a new scanner. You didn't do anything wrong.

Your radio will only accept six digits when you program it. If you would of entered 154.407, and then hit enter, the radio would of accepted it, and the recieve freq in the radio would of been 154.4075.

ALL, and I repeat, ALL "six digits" scanners, regardless of brand, are set up to program splinter freqs (4 digits after the decimal point) like this, accept the six digits and then add the 500 khz internally.

Sorry I didn't catch this thread before you bought the new scanner.

Last edited:

CStarr59

Night, where did you get the Pro-405? I didn't see it listed on the RS web site. I looked it up on the Wiki, and the Pro-405 is made for RS by GRE. It's almost identical to the GRE Psr-200 and a great conventional scanner. If you don't need trunking or alpha tags the Pro-405 will get the job done.

Nighttripper

Up and over my head we go :)

I paid for a premium subscription to radioreference and used arc300 to program my scanner. The local sheriff, that came in fine on the old scanner, now sounds like he sniffs helium gas?

Night

Nighttripper

I took back the 405 to get the 163. It would not be fair to the salesman to return the 163 for the 405. It was my mistake not his. And I will learn this system. Sharp learning curve compared to the 405.

Well last night I heard an ambulace and that was it. With the 405 I heard a fair amount of traffic. And I did get a couple of wierd ones. But they sounded like they were on sideband?

Night

Nighttripper

Using ARC300 and trying to tap into the Illinois State Police truncking freq I can get to the import of the channels I want (right side) but it says I have to have a site also (left side)? No sites are ISP related.

From the ARC300 manual.
"To import data, select at least one site and one group with talkgroup ID’s. Next press ‘Create System’ and a new system will be added to your system browser."

Nighttripper

This just keeps getting better.

I tried to install ARC300 on my laptop this AM. The program says the time demo is expired??? 2010 bug maybe.

Night

Nighttripper

I got a message from ARC-300 authurs this AM.

> This means that you already used your 30 day trial period.
> Uninstalling or upgrading to a new version will not reset the demo timer.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Gommert Buysen
> Butel Software

I told them that this was the first time install?

Night

Status
Not open for further replies.