BCD396XT/BCD996XT: 996 programming cable/usb

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I know this has been answered previously but it wasn't coming up when I searched, I guess I didn't use correct terminology.
Can anyone advise the current product that allows me to go from my PC's USB to the programming port on my 996?
I currently have one that I installed years ago, I'm trying to advise a friend taking one of my 996's as-to what to purchase.
My current product may be by Tripp-Lite, there are no markings on it.
In any event, what is the plug type used on the front of the 996.
Thanx y'all.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
This cable is for the 996T and 996XT scanners if that's what you're asking about, it's a replacement for the original Uniden USB-1 cable for those scanners. I'm currently using 3 of them. The plug type on the front of those scanners is called a "Hirose 4 position data connector", it's not a USB connector.

If you're asking about a 996P2, that uses a plain old USB A to USB mini cable (front connector on the 996P2 is a mini, not a micro). Just be sure that cable is for power and data transfer (not just a charging cable).

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
This cable is for the 996T and 996XT scanners if that's what you're asking about, it's a replacement for the original Uniden USB-1 cable for those scanners. I'm currently using 3 of them. The plug type on the front of those scanners is called a "Hirose 4 position data connector", it's not a USB connector.

If you're asking about a 996P2, that uses a plain old USB A to USB mini cable (front connector on the 996P2 is a mini, not a micro). Just be sure that cable is for power and data transfer (not just a charging cable).

thanx, I looked at the photo, the scanner side of the cable's plug looks a little diff from what I've seen before but I think it will fit. appreciate it

bwhite

Premium Subscriber

sorry, an XT, I thought all 3 were the same.

tvengr

Well Known Member

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If you have the old cable with the 9-pin D connector, you can insert this USB to serial adapter between the USB port on the computer and the old cable. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...VHWtHAR1JhwzAEAQYASABEgLQmvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I have never had a problem using this adapter with any computer or software.
Thanx. I did this previously but I like the direct USB to Hirose better. Doesn't seem as Jerry-rigged but I am going to pass this info along to the new owners as an option.