996P2 and CLMRN

tvengr

Well Known Member
Which fire department are you trying to monitor. The only talkgroup I see in New London County on CLMRN is Groton Fire Dispatch. Do you have the same sites programmed in all of the scanners?

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I love how the tips I gave were ignored. lol
Its ok so was mine

sefrischling refuses to accept the fact that simulcast distortion with the BCD996P2 on CLMRN can be a problem. He insists that it can't be since a mobile with a 996P2 parked outside the firehouse works fine. A 996P2 inside the firehouse with a rooftop antenna is dead where the same model works fine at another firehouse with a rooftop antenna. It sure sounds like typical symptoms of simulcast distortion to me. I asked sefrischling to swap scanners with the mobile parked outside the firehouse without moving the vehicle, but I never received a response.
Yes, Adding to this, multiple people on not 1 but 2 threads of yours have stated simulcast distortion to be an issue. Yet he refuses to accept that it is. The fact that one is working at one location while the other scanner is not working at another location is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion, the 996 even with firmware updates performs very weak on simulcast systems.

denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Last edited:

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Its ok so was mine

Yes, Adding to this, multiple people on not 1 but 2 threads of yours have stated simulcast distortion to be an issue. Yet he refuses to accept that it is. The fact that one is working at one location while the other scanner is not working at another location is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion, the 996 even with firmware updates performs very weak on simulcast systems.

denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
First, I am trying every suggestion.

Secondly, you seem to not be grasping that I run two other 996P2 radios that work just done, programmed the same way with the same setting. I have tried the older scanners with the newer scanners at the intended location of the newer radios, and the older ones work. I have brought two of the newer radios to where the two older ones work ... the older ones work just fine, the newer ones do not work at all.

This is not a case of simulcast distortion, since all four units are programmed identically, where two work and two do not. The only difference seems to be they are two years newer than the others.

sefrischling

Which fire department are you trying to monitor. The only talkgroup I see in New London County on CLMRN is Groton Fire Dispatch. Do you have the same sites programmed in all of the scanners?
I am trying to monitor Montville Police, Troop E and DEEP East, along with Norwich Fire and QV, both of which are on CLMRN.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am trying to monitor Montville Police, Troop E and DEEP East, along with Norwich Fire and QV, both of which are on CLMRN.
Thank you! Do you have the same sites in all of the scanners? Which sites are you using? Is the P25 Threshold the same in all of the scanners? Is P25 LP Filter off? I would like to take a look at your ARC-XT RSF programming file.

sefrischling

Yes, but did you order the SDS200 as I suggested earlier in post #2?
When I said, in my original post, than the SDS200 was not an option, and don't suggest an SES200, very clearly, how was your suggestion helpful?

Would you like to purchase the three SDS200s for the fire companies? If so, I'll be happy to supply you with the shipping information.

These radios have been purchased because the town police moved to CLMRN, and the budgets aren't as flowing as you might think, with the town only funding roughly 1/3 of each fire companies operating budget.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Thank you! Do you have the same sites in all of the scanners? Which sites are you using? Is the P25 Threshold the same in all of the scanners? Is P25 LP Filter off? I would like to take a look at your ARC-XT RSF programming file.
I suggested all these things and was ignored. Good luck.

sefrischling

All the issues I have with 996P2 & 325P2 is not related to the simulcast. It is related to being Phase 2. They worked fine before the switch.
Do you happen to know what your P25 threshold is at? The two I have working, one is Auto and one is on 7. I have tried both Auto and 7 on the new ones, with no luck.

sefrischling

Two of the working 996P2 radios, one has the Threshold of 7, the other is on Auto. They are receiving consistently

The two new ones were on Auto, I adjusted them both to 7, still deaf to the system on antennas known to work in locations known to work with the other 996P2 units.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If the SDS isn't an option, what about Unications?

Reactions: wtp

sefrischling

If the SDS isn't an option, what about Unications?
I use a Unication G5, but these radios however have been purchased by a fire company in town when the PD went to the state system. One will be used for Broadcastify. The budget did not exist for these units, so the cost different to the SDS200 or Unication G4 is out of the question. The issue for me at this point is why do two work and three don't.