Accessing dstar repeaters over the internet

marjam49

Hello. I have been using DMR and Dstar for a little while now, accessing talkgroups and reflectors, and enjoying it along the way. What I would like to know if you have a wifi ham radio, like the IC705, is there a way to access a specific dstar repeater located in a particular state through the internet? I want to be able to talk with local guys on a repeater that is a dstar repeater. I have looked for an answer to this question, and I have no issue accessing the different reflectors. Just wondered if repeaters can be set up so a person using the Internet can access those repeaters, sort of like echolink does.

For those of you who think this is a stupid question, my apologies, but if you don't know, you don't know.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
The IC705 terminal mode is not a full implementation of IP connectivity to D-Star. In short, no, you cannot just connect to a desired repeater via the internet. Your best bet is to use a D-Star hotspot and connect to whichever reflector that repeater is on.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I have been using DMR and Dstar for a little while now, accessing talkgroups and reflectors, and enjoying it along the way. What I would like to know if you have a wifi ham radio, like the IC705, is there a way to access a specific dstar repeater located in a particular state through the internet?
The IC-705 has what is called Terminal Mode, which allows it to connect to repeaters over the Internet. The repeaters out there use varied software so capabilities vary. Older software allows for callsign-to-callsign connections while newer software allows for the use of reflectors.

The latest firmware for the IC-705 also supports monitoring of remote DSTAR repeaters while simultaneously listening to your local repeaters.

The ICOM user guides do a fair description of using Terminal Mode with the older software. Documentation on the newer software is spotty, sometimes found only on specific repeater websites or tucked away in YouTube videos.

Useful keywords for research are DPLUS. REF. XLX.

If I can find some links I'll pass them along.

marjam49

The IC705 terminal mode is not a full implementation of IP connectivity to D-Star. In short, no, you cannot just connect to a desired repeater via the internet. Your best bet is to use a D-Star hotspot and connect to whichever reflector that repeater is on.
Ok, thanks. The repeater is had in mind doesn't list a reflector to access, so I was hoping I could just connect some other way, but I don't suppose you can unless they just didn't list the reflector.

Thanks again...

marjam49

The IC-705 has what is called Terminal Mode, which allows it to connect to repeaters over the Internet. The repeaters out there use varied software so capabilities vary. Older software allows for callsign-to-callsign connections while newer software allows for the use of reflectors.

The latest firmware for the IC-705 also supports monitoring of remote DSTAR repeaters while simultaneously listening to your local repeaters.

The ICOM user guides do a fair description of using Terminal Mode with the older software. Documentation on the newer software is spotty, sometimes found only on specific repeater websites or tucked away in YouTube videos.

Useful keywords for research are DPLUS. REF. XLX.

If I can find some links I'll pass them along.
Ok, great. Any help is much appreciated. I am currently accessing reflectors through a hotspot, I haven't tried terminal mode but I was hoping it could be used in the manner I asked the question about.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Ok, great. Any help is much appreciated. I am currently accessing reflectors through a hotspot, I haven't tried terminal mode but I was hoping it could be used in the manner I asked the question about.
Terminal Mode lets you connect to a remote repeater and directly call someone (callsign routing). It does not let you use the repeater in the traditional manner. The latest firmware does let you connect and listen.

marjam49

That would be pretty cool. Does the manual go over how to do this? Or is there somewhere I can find information on how to do this?

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
That would be pretty cool. Does the manual go over how to do this? Or is there somewhere I can find information on how to do this?
Firmware v1.32 - "Added the DV Repeater Monitor function. (You can connect to a DPlus-compatible repeater.)"

Documentation is here: https://www.icomjapan.com/support/manual/3106/

(it's a bit convoluted to set up, but it does work as described. It is nice as I can't actually hear any DSTAR repeaters over the air)

Last edited:

Chronic

There is an app for a smart phone , i forget the name , but its out there

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
As a followup, if you want to play with Terminal Mode on XLX reflectors which support it (there are a lot more than the last time I looked), then here's a directory:

Find a likely reflector, click on it and choose a Module.

To configure, the shortest video I found is here:

Distilled to text:

In your router port forward UDP port 40000 to your radio.
Set your radio in DV mode.
In Set/Menu 2/DV Gateway/Internal Gateway, set your desired Gateway/Reflector (name or IP address)
Set your Terminal callsign (8 chars, padded, e.g MYCLL Z (two spaces))
Back out of Set and click on the TO field, enter the reflector’s desired module name in Direct Input prefixed with a slash. Eg: /XLXxxxB.
Set/Menu 2 turn on Terminal Mode.
Click your mic and hope for a green return arrow :)

marjam49

Thanks for all the information. I was able to setup the 705 with repeater monitor mode. It's quite a few steps, but I am learning more about this radio now that I have been talking on dstar. It will take a good while to get proficient on navigating everything. DMR is nowhere near this hard lol, but I am having fun learning.

73, thanks all...