Adequate batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I've been saying make li ion pack for a couple years and every time I mention it on a thread, I get shot down real quickly. They always bring up 20 years ago when they had nicad junk packs and they were no good. They are blinded I guess, because lipo and li ion is the future!

BrianG61UK

FROM YOUR MOUTH TO GODS EARS!!! :wink:

It's almost a CRIME, and personally I think it SHOULD be a crime, to design a hand held electronics device today without using a Li-On battery pack.

Forget the fact it would make life 1000 times easier, last longer, be cheaper, and allow the unit to work for WEEKS on a charge instead of hours, but it would also greatly reduce the HUGE amount of acid and chemical that are just killing the environment from people throwing away AA and AAA batteries because manufacturer's are too lazy in most cases to design the product properly.

Weeks instead of hours?

Really?
That's what you think?
Can you really be serious?

BrianG61UK

Not sure where you are going with this thread. There are several very good Ni-MH batteries out there, work perfectly well, and do not kill the environment.

I do not see how having a Li-Po would make anything 1000 times easier, nor would it be cheaper as currently Whistler does not supply the batteries, nor would it last for weeks instead of hours as 2500mAh is 2500mAh is 2500mAh regardless of it being Li-PO vs.Ni-MH.

2500mAH at 3.7V is a fair bit more than 2500mAH at 1.2V plus you probably could get a Li-Po cell with more than 2500mAH in the size of an AA but you're right you won't get weeks instead of hours.

KD6HRI

No bueno amigo! Your better off running Enloop Pro batteries and having a couple sets in reserve when needed. Too many bad things can go wrong using a different battery other then those specified. Dont want to see your scanner go tostada pee pee bye bye!

Hello, again and thanks for the answers.
I bought Ebay these batteries, to try.
Made in china (like almost everything)
Will explode Or will they burn?

Attachments

• batteries.JPG
    batteries.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 150

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where you are going with this thread. There are several very good Ni-MH batteries out there, work perfectly well, and do not kill the environment.

I do not see how having a Li-Po would make anything 1000 times easier, nor would it be cheaper as currently Whistler does not supply the batteries, nor would it last for weeks instead of hours as 2500mAh is 2500mAh is 2500mAh regardless of it being Li-PO vs.Ni-MH.

Get a 1 or 2 good quality sets of rechargeable AA Ni-MH and a good external charger. I get 12 hours of use from mine when fully charged. I have been told the Uniden units only work for 6 hours on a set of batteries but I do not have one to personally confirm. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Where do I start? Ok, our current situation:
1. I have to purchase a $45+ battery charger AFTER purchasing a $500 scanner that supposedly comes with a charger. (it really doesn't for reality purposes).
2. I have to purchase a minimum of 2 sets of 4 pack AA rechargeable batteries. Another $30 a piece for a total of $60 more. And in my case, I needed 3 sets, that's $90+ shipping and taxes for 3 sets of good quality rechargeable AA 4 packs. Which means I'm at about $150 in addition to the $500 purchase price of the scanner. That's over 20% of the purchase price. Imagine having to spend 20% more to get a car running after you spend $20k on a car.
3. Now I have to have a battery charger and 2 extra sets of 4 AA batteries in the drawer, I have to plug it in, remember to unplug it, keep track of which batteries are charged, which are not, make sure I don't leave them in the charger in-attended for too long or forget they are plugged in...
4. I can't install or use the rubber protective covering on the scanner, because every 6 to 8 hours, I have to turn the scanner off, open it up, remove 4 AA's, re-insert 4 new AA's, put it back together and hope I put the AA's in the right direction (because I'm old and can't see without my reading glasses!). So the TWO nice rubber protective cases that I would LOVE to utilize to protect the unit from "bumps and bruises" or a complete smash when dropped (which WILL occur eventually!) are useless because you can't change the batteries with them on.
5. These AA's are only 2500mh MAX (most are much less, and likely even the ones that say 2500 are more like 2000), so the unit only works for 6 or 8 hours. You are aware it is 2017 right? 6 hours?? Really? Your ok with that? Most electronics today run for days, weeks or MONTHS on a charge.
6. Now I will be throwing away, in the trash because nobody deals with them correctly, 4, 8 or 12 Nimh CORROSIVE and VERY bad for the environment batteries that will wind up in the landfill leaking chemicals in our kids drinking water. They will have cancer, and nobody will understand why! Well, you now know why.
7. OR, many will NOT use rechargables, and actually buy sets of 48 AA's from Costco, Sams or BJ's, and throw 100's if not 1000's of these little cancer causers away each year. Not to mention the cost they will be wasting on these.
8. Should I keep going ?? I have about 10 more if you really want to hear them all?

The rest of the world and we should join them:
1. Instead of 2500mh, the battery packs like the one pictured above is 4 times the size of 4 AA's. And as previously mentioned by somebody, battery packs generally get 20% to 50% more power in the same space as AA's because there is not wasted packaging space, they are much more dense. So we could have 6,000, or 10,000, or 15,000mh's of power. Can you say WEEKS, MONTHS of power?? I can!! My Icom VHF transceiver has one of these battery packs and lasts me a FULL YEAR! And it uses a hell of a lot more power broadcasting at 5 watts than the little scanner receiver only does. Nuff said!
2. I would not need to buy ANYTHING after spending my $500 to purchase the unit. If you wanted to, you could buy an extra battery pack, they are about $30. Changing them is snap one off, snap the other on. No opening anything, no figuring out what direction they go,.... AND, reality is, you don't need an extra pack, because of #3...:
3. You get a charger stand/dock. When your using your unit at your desk, you just drop the unit into the charger stand/dock and it is being powered by AC AND charging. Overnight, just drop the unit in the charger and every morning your unit will be at 100% charge and ready to go with a WEEK or MONTHS worth of juice! No need to change batteries, no need to remove the protective case, no need to open the unit up, no need to manage sets of batteries, no need to have a clumsy expensive battery charger laying around, no worries about leaving plugged in....
4. Li-On battery packs generally last for YEARS, 5 to 10 YEARS. Not 6 months to a year like the rechargeable AA's do if your lucky.
5. Nothing to throw away daily, weekly or every few months into the landfill. Good for your kids!

So in summary, a battery pack will power the unit 10's or 100's of times longer, cost less, be MUCH easier to deal with, just drop in the charger to charge, pick up to use it for a WEEK or month! As opposed to the absolutely nightmare I have to deal with now with AA batteries which as I already mentioned, should be legislated right out of existence! They should be illegal to use, they are an absolute disaster.

I've been saying make li ion pack for a couple years and every time I mention it on a thread, I get shot down real quickly. They always bring up 20 years ago when they had nicad junk packs and they were no good. They are blinded I guess, because lipo and li ion is the future!

As have I. The current situation is actually embarrassing. Uniden and Whistler engineers/designers should be embarrassed by this.

Weeks instead of hours?

Really?
That's what you think?
Can you really be serious?

Yes, weeks instead of hours for daily users. And for "weekly" users like myself, MONTHS instead of hours and weeks. The battery packs are MUCH larger and hold much more power that the absurd AA battery packs which waste about 50% of the space they utilize in packaging.

2500mAH at 3.7V is a fair bit more than 2500mAH at 1.2V plus you probably could get a Li-Po cell with more than 2500mAH in the size of an AA but you're right you won't get weeks instead of hours.

Yes, WEEKS instead of hours, and MONTHS instead of hours and weeks. That is fact. A good example is my icom VHF (model M1) is now about 18 years old. It has a Li-On battery pack. I'm now on my SECOND battery pack. The original that came with the unit finally went (wasn't holding a charge anymore) 2 years ago. So I bought a new one for $29.99. I use the unit 8 months out of the year, about once or twice a week for a couple hours each. I charge the unit once a YEAR!! Yes, once a YEAR!! For me, this would be the exact same scenario for my Whistler Scanner. I use it once or twice a week for a few hours most of the time. But instead of charging it YEARLY, I have to actually open it up, and change the batteries just about every time I use it, which is weekly! That is ridiculous, especially given the M1 uses a lot more power than the TRX1. It's a transmitter, not just a receiver.

Wouldn't something like this be nice!! Youza!

Attachments

• 412cbuTLswL.jpg
    412cbuTLswL.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 45

BrianG61UK

Where do I start? Ok, our current situation:
1. I have to purchase a $45+ battery charger AFTER purchasing a $500 scanner that supposedly comes with a charger. (it really doesn't for reality purposes).
2. I have to purchase a minimum of 2 sets of 4 pack AA rechargeable batteries. Another $30 a piece for a total of $60 more. And in my case, I needed 3 sets, that's $90+ shipping and taxes for 3 sets of good quality rechargeable AA 4 packs. Which means I'm at about $150 in addition to the $500 purchase price of the scanner. That's over 20% of the purchase price. Imagine having to spend 20% more to get a car running after you spend $20k on a car.
3. Now I have to have a battery charger and 2 extra sets of 4 AA batteries in the drawer, I have to plug it in, remember to unplug it, keep track of which batteries are charged, which are not, make sure I don't leave them in the charger in-attended for too long or forget they are plugged in...
4. I can't install or use the rubber protective covering on the scanner, because every 6 to 8 hours, I have to turn the scanner off, open it up, remove 4 AA's, re-insert 4 new AA's, put it back together and hope I put the AA's in the right direction (because I'm old and can't see without my reading glasses!). So the TWO nice rubber protective cases that I would LOVE to utilize to protect the unit from "bumps and bruises" or a complete smash when dropped (which WILL occur eventually!) are useless because you can't change the batteries with them on.
5. These AA's are only 2500mh MAX (most are much less, and likely even the ones that say 2500 are more like 2000), so the unit only works for 6 or 8 hours. You are aware it is 2017 right? 6 hours?? Really? Your ok with that? Most electronics today run for days, weeks or MONTHS on a charge.
6. Now I will be throwing away, in the trash because nobody deals with them correctly, 4, 8 or 12 Nimh CORROSIVE and VERY bad for the environment batteries that will wind up in the landfill leaking chemicals in our kids drinking water. They will have cancer, and nobody will understand why! Well, you now know why.
7. OR, many will NOT use rechargables, and actually buy sets of 48 AA's from Costco, Sams or BJ's, and throw 100's if not 1000's of these little cancer causers away each year. Not to mention the cost they will be wasting on these.
8. Should I keep going ?? I have about 10 more if you really want to hear them all?

The rest of the world and we should join them:
1. Instead of 2500mh, the battery packs like the one pictured above is 4 times the size of 4 AA's. And as previously mentioned by somebody, battery packs generally get 20% to 50% more power in the same space as AA's because there is not wasted packaging space, they are much more dense. So we could have 6,000, or 10,000, or 15,000mh's of power. Can you say WEEKS, MONTHS of power?? I can!! My Icom VHF transceiver has one of these battery packs and lasts me a FULL YEAR! And it uses a hell of a lot more power broadcasting at 5 watts than the little scanner receiver only does. Nuff said!
2. I would not need to buy ANYTHING after spending my $500 to purchase the unit. If you wanted to, you could buy an extra battery pack, they are about $30. Changing them is snap one off, snap the other on. No opening anything, no figuring out what direction they go,.... AND, reality is, you don't need an extra pack, because of #3...:
3. You get a charger stand/dock. When your using your unit at your desk, you just drop the unit into the charger stand/dock and it is being powered by AC AND charging. Overnight, just drop the unit in the charger and every morning your unit will be at 100% charge and ready to go with a WEEK or MONTHS worth of juice! No need to change batteries, no need to remove the protective case, no need to open the unit up, no need to manage sets of batteries, no need to have a clumsy expensive battery charger laying around, no worries about leaving plugged in....
4. Li-On battery packs generally last for YEARS, 5 to 10 YEARS. Not 6 months to a year like the rechargeable AA's do if your lucky.
5. Nothing to throw away daily, weekly or every few months into the landfill. Good for your kids!

So in summary, a battery pack will power the unit 10's or 100's of times longer, cost less, be MUCH easier to deal with, just drop in the charger to charge, pick up to use it for a WEEK or month! As opposed to the absolutely nightmare I have to deal with now with AA batteries which as I already mentioned, should be legislated right out of existence! They should be illegal to use, they are an absolute disaster.

As have I. The current situation is actually embarrassing. Uniden and Whistler engineers/designers should be embarrassed by this.

Yes, weeks instead of hours for daily users. And for "weekly" users like myself, MONTHS instead of hours and weeks. The battery packs are MUCH larger and hold much more power that the absurd AA battery packs which waste about 50% of the space they utilize in packaging.

Yes, WEEKS instead of hours, and MONTHS instead of hours and weeks. That is fact. A good example is my icom VHF (model M1) is now about 18 years old. It has a Li-On battery pack. I'm now on my SECOND battery pack. The original that came with the unit finally went (wasn't holding a charge anymore) 2 years ago. So I bought a new one for $29.99. I use the unit 8 months out of the year, about once or twice a week for a couple hours each. I charge the unit once a YEAR!! Yes, once a YEAR!! For me, this would be the exact same scenario for my Whistler Scanner. I use it once or twice a week for a few hours most of the time. But instead of charging it YEARLY, I have to actually open it up, and change the batteries just about every time I use it, which is weekly! That is ridiculous, especially given the M1 uses a lot more power than the TRX1. It's a transmitter, not just a receiver.

Wouldn't something like this be nice!! Youza!

So you're too lazy to recycle your batteries?

You can't be transmitting very often at all. The fact that this transceiver must be much more power efficient than the Whistler scanners is a separate issue.

You must have the most useless ever Ni-MH charger, and/or be using the most horrible cheap AA Ni-MH cells if your AA cells can't be recharged many hundreds of times without problem.

Why not power the scanner from a USB charger when you are using it at home?

Yes it would be nice to be able to use Lithium and have them fully charge in 2 or 3 hours but the best way to make that point isn't to exaggerating and suggesting this one change will fix the scanners other shortcomings.

MichaelBhere

I did not pay nearly that amount for a set of 2400mAh batteries and a charger. Not sure why you keep quoting 6-8 hours as I regularly get 12 hours.

Typically when I am home or in the car I plug the scanner into a USB power source and typically I might use 1 or 2 hours a day strictly on the batteries except when I am in an area where I do not have access to a power port and that is when it is good to have 12 hours of battery life. If I had to take the case off frequently I would probably remove the plastic insert as it makes it much easier to add/remove the rubber protective case. Best to remove the antenna and belt clip when putting the case on and off.

SCPD

QRT
Hmm .. lithium is so good that they cannot be shipped by passenger aircraft (somehow you forgot to mention this one) and are a huge liability.

I am sure that Whistler wants all that liability hanging over them.

Oh .. I forgot to mention that most people that I know charge their smartphones daily, the ones with lithium batteries. So .. where is this year bull **** coming from ? You think we are gullible, but sorry we are not and we cannot be hoodwinked by your ****.

Sorry Machria .. not going to happen. Maybe you should just give it up already.

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Hmm .. lithium is so good that they cannot be shipped by passenger aircraft (somehow you forgot to mention this one) and are a huge liability.

I am sure that Whistler wants all that liability hanging over them.

Oh .. I forgot to mention that most people that I know charge their smartphones daily, the ones with lithium batteries. So .. where is this year bull **** coming from ? You think we are gullible, but sorry we are not and we cannot be hoodwinked by your ****.

Sorry Machria .. not going to happen. Maybe you should just give it up already.

Your lithium is dangerous argument is hilarious, you do know that right? The world is not flat, it is round, get over it already. You can argue you like replacing AA batteries for whatever reason, you can argue you don't like rechargeables, you can argue you like off the shelf AA's instead of a battery pack, all fine. But loose the Li-Ion is dangerous act, you lost that battle 10 years ago. EVERYTHING uses Li-Ion now. I just bought a Li_Ion DINGHY motor for my boat. It's a 4hp outboard motor made by Torqeedo. Li-Ion is the future my friend.

A cell phone has a computer processor which is about 5000 times more powerfull than the logic controller in the TRX1. It uses 20 or 30 times as much power draw. And a cell phone is a TRANSMITTER, not just a receiver. It is doing a hell of a lot more than a scanner, not to mention has a huge color LCD touchscreen. Not a 1/2" by 1/4" black and white 1970's display using bars to display numbers. LOL!

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
So you're too lazy to recycle your batteries?

No, my TOWN (as with MOST towns in the US) is too lazy and cheap to take batteries for recycling! But nice try.

You can't be transmitting very often at all. The fact that this transceiver must be much more power efficient than the Whistler scanners is a separate issue.

No, I do not need to TX on the HH very often, but I do from time to time.

You must have the most useless ever Ni-MH charger, and/or be using the most horrible cheap AA Ni-MH cells if your AA cells can't be recharged many hundreds of times without problem.

I use the eneloop Pro's, and I have 2 of the top chargers made: Intellicharger i4 by Nitecore, and a Lacrosse digital unit. And 100's of times is the problem, there are 365 days in a year, 100 is less than a year, about 6 months. :wink:

Why not power the scanner from a USB charger when you are using it at home?.

I don't have retractable power cords all over my house that can follow me from room to room when using the scanner. I also bought a "mobile" scanner so I don't have to have it plugged in all the time. How about they make a battery solution that lasts longer than a couple of hours? Like most of the rest of the world has done.

Yes it would be nice to be able to use Lithium and have them fully charge in 2 or 3 hours but the best way to make that point isn't to exaggerating and suggesting this one change will fix the scanners other shortcomings.

Who said it would solve the "rest of the problems"? I'm suggesting it will solve the CHARGING and ridiculous throw away AA battery problem, that's it. And there is nothing exaggerated. My M1 charges in less than 2 hours, and lasts me OVER A YEAR, period, plain and simple. I use it once or twice a WEEK, about the same I use the TRX1. Sure would be nice for my scanner to last a year on a charge, wouldn't it? :confused:

I did not pay nearly that amount for a set of 2400mAh batteries and a charger. Not sure why you keep quoting 6-8 hours as I regularly get 12 hours..

Oh, I think I got 12 hours once also! ONCE! But typically I get 6 or 8 hours at best.

Typically when I am home or in the car I plug the scanner into a USB power source and typically I might use 1 or 2 hours a day strictly on the batteries except when I am in an area where I do not have access to a power port and that is when it is good to have 12 hours of battery life. If I had to take the case off frequently I would probably remove the plastic insert as it makes it much easier to add/remove the rubber protective case. Best to remove the antenna and belt clip when putting the case on and off.

I don't use it in the car/truck. I use it on my boat, or at home when doing things around the house. Plugging in is not an option at home, but I do use the DC charger on the boat often. And I should NOT have to do that! I don't do that with my phone, I don't do that with my ipod, I don't do that with my VHF, I don't do that with my ipad, I don't do that with my laptop. So the question is, why do I have to do that with my little old scanner which utilizes less energy than all the rest of those?

Kinda silly, don't ya think?

SCPD

QRT
Your lithium is dangerous argument is hilarious, you do know that right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_7

Samsung may disagree on that one. 17 billion dollars is a lot of money. That is why Whistler is not going to go there. It is called they do not want the liability for little to no benefit.

The current battery methods used in our scanners work just fine, but obviously you do not get it.

You have fun with your quest, but the more you post the more laughable this becomes. Oh btw .. I am now done posting on this thread. Bye.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_7

Samsung may disagree on that one. 17 billion dollars is a lot of money. That is why Whistler is not going to go there. It is called they do not want the liability for little to no benefit.

Using your flawed logic here, I could post 100's of links to articles about huge lawsuits and losses and such regarding failed products and poor designs and mistakes made... costing companies 100's of billions of dollars. A good one is the Toccata airbags. They have to replace something like a billion airbags, and pay out billions in damages...

So does that mean we should all remove the airbags in our cars and trucks? ALL airbags are bad for us, right? Why have airbags in your car, they are unsafe aren't they? :roll:

No thanks!! I'll take the airbag, and I'll take the Li-On batter pack please! :D

DonS

A cell phone has a computer processor which is about 5000 times more powerfull than the logic controller in the TRX1. It uses 20 or 30 times as much power draw.

If that was true, a cell phone battery would last less than 6 hours.

TRX-1 CPU: minimum 30mA at 3.3V = 0.099W
20x TRX-1 CPU power draw = 1.98W
iPhone 7 Plus battery: 11.1Wh

11.1Wh / 1.98W = 5.6 hours

Of course, most of the time, a cell phone's processor is doing pretty much nothing. While a scanner's processors are running full-speed, drawing peak power, whenever the scanner is operational.

There's another reason why it's silly to compare cell phones to scanners:
* iPhone 7 Plus: $769 from Apple, tens of millions sold
* Scanner: MSRP about $600, tens of thousands sold
What would an iPhone 7 Plus cost if Apple was only going to sell, at most, 100k units?

Can you say WEEKS, MONTHS of power?? I can!!
By going to some form of lithium-ion batteries? Like in the above-mentioned iPhone 7 Plus?

Let's do the math...
NiMH: 2500mAh x 1.2V x 4 cells == 12.0Wh
iPhone: 11.1Wh

Where does this extra energy magically come from just by switching to lithium-ion?

If you're referring to the cells pictured in post #11:
Each of those cells delivers 22.2Wh (6000mAh x 3.7V). If you put 4 of them in parallel, you'd get 88.8Wh instead of the 12.0Wh from the current 4-pack of NiMH cells. If the current NiMH cells yield 10 hours of run time, then these new cells would give 74 hours. 3 days, not "WEEKS, MONTHS of power".

Ed6698

Hi, some batteries that have long duration?, I have a 2500 NI MH mah Brand
Duracell, but only last a few hours.
Any advice, what kind of batteries to use for the trx-1? Which are the most suitable or last longer.
Thank you.

Panasonic Eneloop Pros and a Powerex Maha MH-C9000 have been giving me excellent results for several years now. I always have a extra set charged and ready.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Don,
Not only is a cell phone processor today NEVER doing nothing since it is checking emails, downloading weather, updating apps, tracking the GPS and updating maps and location services for many apps simultaneously, the radio circuit itself is constantly broadcasting and communicating with cell towers, normally 2 at time. It's a transceiver, not just a receiver. And even when your screen is off, it's burning a hell of a lot more juice than the simple logic processor being used in a scanner.

The extra energy of the battery packs comes from it's size, and the fact it is not wasting space from it's own packaging and contacts....

SCPD

QRT
Panasonic Eneloop Pros and a Powerex Maha MH-C9000 have been giving me excellent results for several years now. I always have a extra set charged and ready.

This is an excellent combination .. and highly recommended. I have a couple of those chargers and they always work as designed.

Ed6698

This is an excellent combination .. and highly recommended. I have a couple of those chargers and they always work as designed.

I liked the Maha so much after I first got it I bought a 2nd one. They work great with the Eneloop Pros. I even have 4 of the regular Eneloops, they probably are going on 3 years old and still going strong.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
FYI, Costco just got the Eneloop batteries in! 10 pack for $14 which is a killer deal. They are not the "Pro" version, but they are 1900, and for that price why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.