Adjusting SDRTrunk tuner

ih784

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reference or tutorial as to how to tune gain(s) in SDRTrunk? I’m having a hell of time adjusting it manually. I do not know what I’m doing. What I have done is loaded two separate sites with seven frequencies total and have them all playing. I can get 5 out of 7 not to show idle but, when I do this… I’m missing a lot of traffic (virtually dead radio). Should I import a single site and have SDRT lock onto the CC? When I first started using sdrt, it was awesome. Three days later, I’ve fixed it enough to have it not working. This is what my screen looks like. ANY suggestions on sampling, gain, ppm adjustment are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 32

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
It's all trial and error, there's no "one size fits all". Not all radio environments are created equal. Experimentation is key but personally I achieve better results by unchecking this. Also adjust PPM up to try and get the Measured error as close to zero as possible
1704746083867.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reference or tutorial as to how to tune gain(s) in SDRTrunk? I’m having a hell of time adjusting it manually.
Since your new to it, it might be better to try this. Take it of manual and set it to one of the lower numbers (presets) listed in the drop down. Take note of the noise floor level and the level of the active control channel. Stop the channel from playing is needed. The keep bumping the numbers in the drop down box up to just where the noise floor starts to rise. That's usually a good spot.

loaded two separate sites with seven frequencies total and have them all playing. I can get 5 out of 7 not to show idle but, when I do this… I’m missing a lot of traffic (virtually dead radio).

Should I import a single site and have SDRT lock onto the CC?

Since you already imported 2 sites, just start/play the one closest to you.

How many dongles are you using and can you post a link to the system and the name of the site?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I’m running two RTL-SDRs. The system is VIPER and the site is South Mills. Ideally, I’d like to get Elizabeth City as well.

Your going to need more dongles for just the first site alone. 851.075 to 858.0625 spans 6.9875mhz. The basic rtl sdr dongle covers about 2.4 mhz. 3 would cover 7.2 but some dongles don't quite cover 2.4 .

ih784

Premium Subscriber
I’ve got two. Would you recommend an Airspy or another one? I’m running them both at 2.4 and assigned one dongle per site and gave them 00000001 and a 00000002 SN(s). I took the advice of manually adjusting the PPM and was still getting a lot of fluctuation. I dropped the gain back to the next number and the ppm fluctuations stopped BUT, I started having my cc fade from control to idle.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Would you recommend an Airspy or another one?
An Airspy R2 claims 10mhz so one of those should work. But let someone who runs an R2 give that advise. I run 2 Airspy Mini's in SDRT on 3 systems, 4 to 5 sites at times, but none sites span more than 3 mhz.

I’m running them both at 2.4 and assigned one dongle per site and gave them 00000001 and a 00000002 SN(s).
The unique number was a good thing but the donge is still limited to 2.4 mhz and short about 4.5 mhz.

I took the advice of manually adjusting the PPM and was still getting a lot of fluctuation.
What are you using for an antenna set up? Unless the sites are real close by, the antenna that come with sdr are not that decent.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
I’m using one of these 30’ in the air on two pieces of schedule 80- 1.5” pipe. HOWEVER, I think if there’s a weak link in the 50’ of RG6 quad-shield maybe?

I also have a homemade “tuned” ground plane that does extremely well on my sds100. I just wonder if the sds100 is more sensitive?