ALINCO DJ-VX50 or Yaesu FT-65E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterAFG

Hello. newb here. I have the Baofeng UV-5R but I've found it difficult to get any reception or transmissions,
even finding a repeater outside is impossible. So I'm looking to buy another uhf/vhf HH.
I've narrowed it down to the ALINCO DJ-VX50 or the Yaesu FT-65E,

What would be the better buy?

or any other suggestions in that price bracket appreciated.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you aren't hearing local repeaters on your current radio, you either have it programmed wrong or you need a better antenna. Switching from a US$25 radio to a US$75 radio will not necessarily solve the problem.

WalterAFG

Yes, i upgraded and i've tried different antennas. I'm also buying another HH to see if it is just me and I got the programming wrong, (Installed firmware HN5RV01) i used chirp to update after a reset.
After doing some trawling i found there maybe a discrepancy with this firmware as it seems possible its a fake. Otherwise, it all looks good but there are signs that it may be a knockoff. It is possible no one is transmitting in my area. I do get some receptions but it seems rare but i can't find a weather channel on any frequency, but it gets FM radio ok.

Do you know of any other general problems that prevent the UV-5R receiving and a quick fix?

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @WalterAFG and Welcome to Radio Reference! I agree with what @AK9R said about upgrading your radio. Do you have an Amateur Radio license where you could transmit and ask for a "signal check" on the repeater? Over here in the States, the repeaters stay pretty quiet until somebody calls out with their callsign or there is a scheduled net.

As for the upgraded radio, I vote for the Yaesu FT-65E. I confess that I am a Yaesu fanatic and have the Yaesu FT3DR HT. I also have the Baofeng UV-5R for the purpose of seeing what a USD $25 looked like, felt like and how it performed.

73, Dave K4EET

bb911

I don't know much about the Yaesu, but I own an Alinco DJ-VX50. I was given a Baofeng UV-5R and didn't last long as numerous problems cropped up. It is cheap junk - no surprise at its low price. Unlike the Baofeng, the Alinco is a quality radio. It is rugged, near waterproof, and has the VHF air band. It has free programming software online which is very poor, and Alinco admitted so. There is a high quality software prog and cable available (the Alinco cable doesn't work with the better software), which of course is about half the price of the radio. Having said that, I wish I had waited and bought the Yaesu FT-60. (At the time, I didn't think that I could afford it). Even if you find that the Baofeng to be fully functional, it's just not worth messing with, in my opinion.

WalterAFG

@K4EET its early days for me at the mo, I'm not licensed yet but that is my objective, I'm getting experience working around the UV-5R and this alone has been worth it. Unfortunately I can't transmit yet so a signal check is not possible. I've also got some sdr software I'm using on my mac, big learning curve for me but good fun. Did you have any problems with the Baofang, do you still use it or has it gone into the draw of ham junk?

People seem to rate Yaesu, so this is definitely an option, however as @bb911 said the ALINCO DJ-VX50 comes with AM and a progress knob/toggle, a handy feature for adjusting the frequency it seems, but don't fancy the software problems.

K4EET

Chaplain
@K4EET<snip> Did you have any problems with the Baofang, do you still use it or has it gone into the draw of ham junk?
<snip>
The Baofeng did not meet FCC specifications on VHF for spurious emissions so it went on the "Museum Shelf" of retired radios. It is an interesting piece of history but I would not want to transmit with it for fear of interfering with another licensed radio entity or user.

WalterAFG

The Baofeng did not meet FCC specifications on VHF for spurious emissions so it went on the "Museum Shelf" of retired radios. It is an interesting piece of history but I would not want to transmit with it for fear of interfering with another licensed radio entity or user.
Is it possible the Baofeng is not picking up because there is no one transmitting in my area? How do you fair with scanning your vhf/uhf frequencies, is there much going on in your area?

K4EET

Chaplain
Is it possible the Baofeng is not picking up because there is no one transmitting in my area? How do you fair with scanning your vhf/uhf frequencies, is there much going on in your area?
Activity on the repeater varies. During the day, there will be three or four folks that "throw" out their callsigns to see if anybody is listening and wants to chat. In the evenings, three times a week, there are nets where a bunch of folks come together to discuss a central theme. Perhaps you could reach out to a local club in your area and talk to one of the members to get a feel for local repeater activity. I believe that the Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB) can help you find a local club if you do not already have one. 73, Dave K4EET

WalterAFG

Thanks @K4EET I found my local club but they have suspended meetings at the moment because of covid, hopefully when it lifts i can meet up with some ham heads. Their online forum is very quiet so hard to establish contact but i will persevere.

I was looking at some other HH today, what do you think of the mid price Baofengs, I spotted the Baofeng GT-3TP, ($57 USD / £42 GBD) looked interesting or is Baofeng just not a good choice in general?

51JhNPOE6+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

WalterAFG

Had a bit off success today (on my UV-5R on 433.250 mHZ, CH12 that I programmed in with CHIRP) a few hams were transmitting, I could hear them quite clearly which is encouraging as the bands were quiet for days, this confirms my radio is working at least.

K4EET

Chaplain
Thanks @K4EET I found my local club but they have suspended meetings at the moment because of covid, hopefully when it lifts i can meet up with some ham heads. Their online forum is very quiet so hard to establish contact but i will persevere.

I was looking at some other HH today, what do you think of the mid price Baofengs, I spotted the Baofeng GT-3TP, ($57 USD / £42 GBD) looked interesting or is Baofeng just not a good choice in general?

View attachment 97297
If I were you and based on what I know about Baofeng radios, I would stick with the Yaesu FT-65E which has a lot better customer support and service standing behind their product. As for club meetings/get-togethers, our club meets via Zoom over the Internet. 73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Had a bit off success today (on my UV-5R on 433.250 mHZ, CH12 that I programmed in with CHIRP) a few hams were transmitting, I could hear them quite clearly which is encouraging as the bands were quiet for days, this confirms my radio is working at least.
Excellent! I guess your repeater there is not very active... 73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.