Announcing Feed Provider Incentives

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Lindsay,

I like the incentive program. My greatest desire is to offer one feed each for the agencies in my county (slowly but surely). One day I'm sure the feed will get used by enough people (unfortunately it could be another natural catastrophe event- can you Central Texans say Flood of '98, '00, '02, etc.).

This being said I think Mike brought up a great point. I enjoy offering an audio feed and plan on adding another one here soon. But for providers who offer more feeds there should be a little extra out there for them (not necessarily a monetary gift). The premium subscription is great but by offering more feeds I eventually enter in to an agreement where my total electricity usage for feeds outweighs the benefit of saving $30 on a premium subscription. I don't know what that number of feeds is (where the electricity consumption costs more than the subscription to RR) but you should keep that in mind.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I like the incentive program. My greatest desire is to offer one feed each for the agencies in my county (slowly but surely). ...

The premium subscription is great but by offering more feeds I eventually enter in to an agreement where my total electricity usage for feeds outweighs the benefit of saving $30 on a premium subscription. I don't know what that number of feeds is (where the electricity consumption costs more than the subscription to RR) but you should keep that in mind.

Gentlemen, need I remind you that this is (or at least was) a hobby. At one time I ran four feeds, three of which were remote from my house. I do it at my own expense for the technical edumacation and to listen to my own remote feeds to keep abreast of happenings where they were. Whoever else listens can ride on my coat tails.

No feed op is going to retire on these incentives, so my suggestion is to keep on doing what you're doing and if you happen to hit the high water mark and make some weekend spending money, good for you! If not, I don't see why it should affect your plans one bit. Much agony over nothing.

Cheers!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have to echo Bote's comments above.

I'm not sure what else we have available for feed providers other than what we have provided. Especially at the scale that we're looking at here (1500 unique providers). I realize that some feed providers are going the extra mile to stream feeds (some in very extreme cases) but those are items that you must personally weigh upon when deciding to stream to our platform.

The free premium subscription may not sound like much to you, but we have over 1500 unique individuals that provide feeds to RadioReference.com, and over 75% of them have held a premium subscription at one time or another. That means we are effectively giving away $8500/quarter in revenue, or $34,000/year in premium subscriptions to folks that would have otherwise most likely paid for them. I addition, RadioReference invested approximately $5000 for the Washington DC feed appliance to provide better coverage for that area, and we're planning additional roll outs this year to NYC, Chicago, and LA. We are significantly investing in this platform.

Remember, the most important thing that we give away to feed providers is a free platform and a huge audience. That's why we're all here in the first place.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
No feed op is going to retire on these incentives...

Notice I said:

texasemt13 said:
(not necessarily a monetary gift)

blantonl said:
... but we have over 1500 unique individuals that provide feeds to RadioReference.com, and over 75% of them have held a premium subscription at one time or another.

Having been one of these prior subscribers I think this only goes to reinforce that we, the feed providers, are doing your site a great service (whether we continue to pay or not). Even though something may never happen in our area we're still doing what we can to bring attention to your site. Not every particular provider chooses to embed the RR feed in their own website, so really I am only providing for two reasons:

1. So I can hear my feed away from home (I wouldn't have to use RR for this).

2. To bring attention to RadioReference, a site that I frequent, and thoroughly enjoy.

Having said that I think that the dedication that feed providers give to RR is worth something...

It's more than just plug it in and leave it running.

Don't take any of this wrong though- I'm very excited to hear that if my feed hits a certain number of unique hits that I might get a reward. That's pretty sweet, and unexpected (what happens if the RR feed gets the reward? Are you going to buy yourself something from ScannerMaster? I would...)

djl998

Having said that I think that the dedication that feed providers give to RR is worth something...

It's more than just plug it in and leave it running.

Don't take any of this wrong though- I'm very excited to hear that if my feed hits a certain number of unique hits that I might get a reward. That's pretty sweet, and unexpected (what happens if the RR feed gets the reward? Are you going to buy yourself something from ScannerMaster? I would...)

It is worth something. Namely, a premium subscription valued at $30/year. That's the compensation being offered. Take it or leave it. And I don't know what you're doing with your feed, but "plug it in and leave it running" is a perfect description of my involvement in mine. How can you really be more involved? There's no way the electricity to power a computer costs $30 a year so you're coming out ahead financially. (Even moreso for me, since I run my feed on a comp I use as a file server, so it would be running anyway.)

I just don't get the people who act as though they're being ripped off or something. You knew the deal when you signed up, and nobody's forcing you to continue hosting a feed.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This is a hobby and providing feeds is another part of the hobby for me. The only thing I may need from Lindsay in exchange for my feeds is a room to live in should my wife toss me and my feeds out the front door.

NYRHKY94

Hey Guys:

Given that I posed the question about whether or not RR was "considering" a separate incentive/reward program for multi-feed providers, I feel compelled to jump back in here again. It seems that my simple question (which has already been answered) is now spiralling into something it shouldn't.

It was just a question folks, that's all. It wasn't complaining, it wasn't sour grapes, and it certainly wasn't because I forgot this is a hobby. I've been at this for 40 years and provide my feeds willingly & voluntarily and don't feel I'm owed anything.

Again, I asked Lindsay & RR the question and they have responded. I'm fine with that and would prefer that this part of the thread not denegrate into a pissing match. Personally, I don't think any of us need to be reminded that this is a hobby.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

No intended degenerating from me. I was just "trying" to bring some humor into the thread. Sorry if it seemed to be anything else. By the way, I'm newer in the hobby than you...34 years for me.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Middletown, CT feed at 927 listeners and climbing with an ongoing incident that has made national news....just goes to show that any feed can be a winner! :)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I haven't heard back from the broadcaster, but indeed this one qualifies for our best reward, a $300.00 gift certificate to Scanner Master.

We've got an New Orleans Police Department feed coming up this evening, so we might have two qualifiers in one day. Cool :)

SCPD

QRT
I cover a not to busy area in Michigan and i am very happy having a steady 4-6 listeners on at all times.

We get good calls up here like kids making pipe bombs and then they explode in there hands etc.

Thanks Lindsay for the great site keep up the great work

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
CT018,

If you are reading this - please contact me to claim your gift certificate... emails are bouncing to you and I've been unable to get a hold of you.

lindsay [at] radioreference.com

Warm regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.