AnokaCounty Simulcast (MP25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmulder13

Any scanner is going to present this problem. I’d heartily endorse the g5, or its slightly cheaper cousin, the g4, which only scans 800 MHz. Check eBay or the RR classifieds, look for sales, and you might get a price point that’s more reasonable. Otherwise, consider the extra money an investment in your sanity :)

rs989

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain< I used to live in Athens and listening to Anoka was very difficult. You have too much signal, this something that radios can handle to a point but scanners have a hard time with. Anoka has a very saturated RF overlay, the scanner is receiving too many sites at once at slightly different timings. Scanners have a tough time with this.

You will want to try and reduce the signals for the other towers and try to focus on just one tower in the simulcast. A few tricks that have been tried with varying success.

small or no antenna
directional antenna
putting the antenna in a paint can
using a RF adapter as an antenna

I would agree the Anoka simulcast can be a tough nut to receive for some reason. Maybe the locations of the tower sites and spacng weare a bit off. For me I grab Anoka Talkgroup 1 (South) off the Hennepin East system which is pretty stable most of the time.

johnmoe1

I would agree the Anoka simulcast can be a tough nut to receive for some reason.

I live more than 27 miles from the closest corner of Anoka County and get pretty good reception. Maybe you just need to move away to get good signal. :) [Just to be not misleading, I also don't use a normal scanner.]

For me I grab Anoka Talkgroup 1 (South) off the Hennepin East system
Unfortunately, you will miss a lot of Anoka transmission on Hennepin East.

svankrev

Premium Subscriber
Funny thing is ....we are trying to move but the housing market has us handcuffed. Almost want to pull the trigger on the Unication G5 I want to be able to get the aircraft frequencies as well but maybe that is not possible with that unit. It does not appear to be an option in the multi-band options.

svankrev

Premium Subscriber
I am little confused about the frequency ranges for the G5. They call out 700 to 800 MHz (plus a lower range of your choice). The control frequencies in my area are in the 850's. Are they saying the highest frequency it can receive is 800 MHZ? What am I missing here?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Funny thing is ....we are trying to move but the housing market has us handcuffed. Almost want to pull the trigger on the Unication G5 I want to be able to get the aircraft frequencies as well but maybe that is not possible with that unit. It does not appear to be an option in the multi-band options.

The pager only goes down to 136 MHz it also does not do AM. It is built with public safety in mind not so much the Scanner Enthusiast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svankrev

Premium Subscriber
Thank you ScanWI, I was suspecting the frequency call outs were as such. I was also out looking at a cheaper aircraft radio for the purpose monitoring air traffic (for my drone life). Things weren't making sense until I stumbled on the AM vs FM of the two types of radios. Being a pilot, I probably should have paid more attention to the nuances. Anyway....listening to the live feeds yesterday during our little snow-nami event was fun on my phone but the G5 would have been so much better.

svankrev

Premium Subscriber
Finally pulled the trigger on a G5. Anxiously awaiting its arrival on Monday. I was fumbling around in the PPS and cant wait to plug it in and see if I can light it up. Thanks all!

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Finally pulled the trigger on a G5. Anxiously awaiting its arrival on Monday. I was fumbling around in the PPS and cant wait to plug it in and see if I can light it up. Thanks all!

Just P’m you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svankrev

Premium Subscriber
New G5

I have my new G5 up and running thanks to some help from a great admin. What can I say except I am impressed. Great signal, oodles of radio traffic, clear sound. Everything I was looking for in a radio (and more). The price tag was little higher than originally anticipated however, worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.