Another new toy to play with

Blackswan73

While waiting for my new Belka to arrive, I stumbled across another nice radio at a bargain price. I got a new Tecsun H-501x from Aliexpress for $228 with a first time buyer discount and free shipping. Supposed to arrive on Feb. 27. My wife is starting to tell me I have too many radios. How absurd. I also purchased another WIO terminal. I am thinking I can use it with a Teensey and a SDR to build standalone shortwave receiver

B.S.

KB2GOM

While waiting for my new Belka to arrive, I stumbled across another nice radio at a bargain price. I got a new Tecsun H-501x from Aliexpress for $228 with a first time buyer discount and free shipping. Supposed to arrive on Feb. 27. My wife is starting to tell me I have too many radios. How absurd. I also purchased another WIO terminal. I am thinking I can use it with a Teensey and a SDR to build standalone shortwave receiver

B.S.
As a well-known outdoor writer used to say (he was speaking of fishing rods): you have to introduce the concept of "all those radios" . . . not a specific number of radios . . . just: all those radios.

See . . . it's a floating number. . .

Blackswan73

501 arrived today 2-23-24. I like it. Lots of adjustments to fiddle with, good sound, nice selectivity and sensitivity. Overall I like it. I think I might relegate my 803a to backup status. I was amazed how fast it got here. Four days earlier than expected. I can in good conscience recommend Aliexpress to do business with
BTW, it appears the radio was actually shipped from an Amazon warehouse in Ohio. I thought it would be coming from China. Interesting since I got it a hundred dollars cheaper than what Amazon lists it for

B.S.

KB2GOM

501 arrived today 2-23-24. I like it. Lots of adjustments to fiddle with, good sound, nice selectivity and sensitivity. Overall I like it. I think I might relegate my 803a to backup status. I was amazed how fast it got here. Four days earlier than expected. I can in good conscience recommend Aliexpress to do business with
BTW, it appears the radio was actually shipped from an Amazon warehouse in Ohio. I thought it would be coming from China. Interesting since I got it a hundred dollars cheaper than what Amazon lists it for

B.S.
We expect a full report soon!

merlin

She used to tell me I had too many guitars(7), so I sold some of my guitars and bought (yep! You guessed it) more radios. Right now I have my eye on a Hammarlund HQ-160. Nice condition, but I really would love to find a nice 180

B.S.
I think a Drake R-4 would be a better choice, and maybe cheaper than a 180.

Blackswan73

I will post pics later. Right now I’m playing with another new toy I got today in the mail

B.S.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 44

Blackswan73

If I’m understanding some videos I watched. This radio has a waterfall feature when plugged into a computer. So that makes it a standalone receiver or a SDR module

B.S.

Blackswan73

I think a Drake R-4 would be a better choice, and maybe cheaper than a 180.
Actually, I got a chance on a HQ-180, and ended up buying a Drake R8 for the same money. One of the last and possibly best desktop receivers Drake made. Built in the Drake factory in Ohio. Came in the original box and is near mint. Had to part with my SDS200, but my Bluetail would receive everything the SDS did except NXDN. A $40 RTL-SDR V4 takes care of that. I passed on the 180 because in my opinion the old tube radios are getting too expensive to maintain. A new set of 180 tubes will set you back $100.

B.S.

Blackswan73

We expect a full report soon!
As promised a full review of my new H501 receiver from Tecsun. First off this is the 501, and not the 501/x. Not a whole lot of difference, but I thought I should mention it. The performance of this radio is outstanding. I have only used it on HF mainly to hunt pirates. I have been very happy with the results. The radio is very sensitive and selective, with several tweaks available to really dig em out of the mud. I got my first pirate qsl in about forty years. I was even able to log an Irish pirate station. Last night I was listening to NHK Japan like it was in my town. I purchased four 3500ma batteries and one battery lasts for about 15-18 hours. The original batteries last about 12. It came with a leather like case, but I opted for an optional $30 hard case. The hard case has room for the radio, paperwork, 6 batteries, earbuds and the battery charger. Although the charger works fine I opted to buy an external stand alone charger to ensure I don’t have any possibility of damaging the radio by charging the batteries internally. The radio is only the second radio I have that doesn’t need a BFO control. SSB signals are crystal clear and dead on freq. a large radio for a portable, even larger then a Sangean 803a/DX-440. All in all a nice addition to my collection. As for AliExpress I have done business with them several times and have had no problems.

B.S.

Attachments

• MSR040724-SP.jpeg
    MSR040724-SP.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 6

KB2GOM

As promised a full review of my new H501 receiver from Tecsun. First off this is the 501, and not the 501/x. Not a whole lot of difference, but I thought I should mention it. The performance of this radio is outstanding. I have only used it on HF mainly to hunt pirates. I have been very happy with the results. The radio is very sensitive and selective, with several tweaks available to really dig em out of the mud. I got my first pirate qsl in about forty years. I was even able to log an Irish pirate station. Last night I was listening to NHK Japan like it was in my town. I purchased four 3500ma batteries and one battery lasts for about 15-18 hours. The original batteries last about 12. It came with a leather like case, but I opted for an optional $30 hard case. The hard case has room for the radio, paperwork, 6 batteries, earbuds and the battery charger. Although the charger works fine I opted to buy an external stand alone charger to ensure I don’t have any possibility of damaging the radio by charging the batteries internally. The radio is only the second radio I have that doesn’t need a BFO control. SSB signals are crystal clear and dead on freq. a large radio for a portable, even larger then a Sangean 803a/DX-440. All in all a nice addition to my collection. As for AliExpress I have done business with them several times and have had no problems.

B.S.
Thanks . . . and very informative.

A couple of questions: when you heard the pirate, were you using an external antenna?

Also, does the 501 have smooth tuning on the knob, or do you get those click-stops and chuffing between tuning steps?

Last edited:

Blackswan73

Tuning is smooth with no “chuffing “. I am using a 46’ EFHW antenna fed with RG6 coaxial cable. I have used the internal whip antenna and was able to hear several of the pirate stations, but it really comes to life with an external antenna. I have too much stray RF in my house from led lights, TV, cell chargers, and my wife’s pacemaker to name a few. So most of my radios are used with outdoor antennas to lower the noise floor.

B.S.